What causes a still birth

Go down

What causes a still birth

Post by Sam and their pets on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 4:49 am

Hello! So to cut a long story short, I may be picking up a small colony of ASFs tomorrow Very Happy Turns out the lady I got my original group from is selling hers now, and I figured I would take them on. If I don't they'll end up feeders, which sucks more than usual because I know they're the parents to my ASFs. It's silly and sentimental, I know

She said that one of the two adult does was pregnant in the ad, but when I asked turns out she had her pups already. She had only 3 and they were all still born. Now the two mum's are pregnant again. I'm just curious why that happened, and if I can prevent it this time around. Their food looks pretty bad if it means anything, so if I get them I'll be sure they get extra protein and are switched to my best food mix.

Yes I'll be picking up a ton of extra bins, bottles, and wheels if this all goes through. Yes I have experience with ASF pregnancies. Chances are this won't work out, but I better ask anyway.

I'm aware they're not mice but I doubt their breeding is vastly different.  If I need to switch this post to the members lounge I can, no worries! Just figured I'd get more answers here Smile

Walk  Mice: Sable, Gimble, and Max Tail Flip Hamsters: Samsung and Goby Walk ASFs: Quil, Cyg, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Grus, Koala, Gopher, Kas, Tiger, Key, and six nameless babies Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly Walk Hedgehog: Finnegan Tail Flip
Sam and their pets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What causes a still birth

Post by AmyLynn on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 2:19 pm

Hello,
I found that if you look online for researcher studies on stillbirth using mice, there are several. I found the following one easy to read and digested.
https://www.tommys.org/our-organisation/research-by-cause/stillbirth/older-mothers-and-risk-stillbirth
I would suggested a little more research on the matter. However, after reading this and a few other articles it appears that age is a huge factor. Are these ASF a little older? If so that could be the cause. Several labs used melatonin to increase placenta health in mice and rats. I saw that they sell melatonin for pets but so far have not found proper dosage for mice or rats. Perhaps try talking to an experienced vet that may know how much to give. Giving them a better diet would be beneficial either way. Increasing fats and protein a little may be helpful. I saw egg and shelled hemp seeds as highly recommend during mice pregnancy. My mice certainly enjoyed the hemp seeds. Best of luck and keep us posted.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam and their pets on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 5:57 pm

That's very helpful, thank you! I picked them up a couple hours ago and got to ask a few more questions. This mum is quite old but the other is luckily younger and in better health.

The old girl however seems to have an eye infection and the buck may have an injured paw, so I'll be scheduling a vet appointment anyways and can ask about melatonin. My original vet retired, so I have to try a new place but it's worth a shot. I'll definitely look for shelled hemp seeds and add some extra nuts to the food mix. Thanks again for the help Smile

Walk  Mice: Sable, Gimble, and Max Tail Flip Hamsters: Samsung and Goby Walk ASFs: Quil, Cyg, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Grus, Koala, Gopher, Kas, Tiger, Key, and six nameless babies Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly Walk Hedgehog: Finnegan Tail Flip
Sam and their pets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam and their pets on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:42 pm

Update:
It seems that the old girl, Kass, may have reabsorbed/aborted her litter. I was keeping my distance to lower stress, but now I will be weighing her daily to make sure she doesn't have any issues related to this. I suppose maybe she never was pregnant, but unless she was too old that's practically impossible and it did seem like she was. She looks the same as my other girls, I can't feel a bump at all. Even if she was bred the latest possible, so the day I got her, it's still too far away for there not to be any signs. If there aren't any complications I'd say this is a pretty fair result

The other girl, now called Rook, still seems very healthy and is just starting to balloon- so she's getting very close. She seems about the same size as my other girl did, and she ended up with 12 pups. Time will tell Smile

Sam and their pets
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down