Teeth!! Growth and Wear

Go down

Teeth!! Growth and Wear

Post by oriaxel on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 5:47 am

I'm sorry I've been posting so much lately, but I'm a fairly new mouse owner and don't want to mess anything up. 

I took home Pietro at the start of July this year, and I'm aware that a mouse's teeth will grow throughout their lifetime. I recently switched his food from lab block, and though he has plenty of chews in his tank, I don't want his teeth to get too long. So I picked up hamsteroids. They're mineral chews that are fairly hard, and he seems to love them. I've only given him one a week since I picked them up. 

My curiosity is, how much is too much? Can you give them TOO MUCH to chew on? Can I over-wear my mouse's teeth? And how fast do they actually grow?
oriaxel

Leo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Teeth!! Growth and Wear

Post by CallaLily on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 3:50 pm

I personally never offered the mineral chews. A good quality diet should provide all they need but if you still want to supplement, I would limit them to once or twice a month. But keeping other types of chews constantly available is great! Things like cardboard, safe wood, sisal, loofah, hay, hemp, raffia, etc are all just fine to offer. I’ve personally never had an issue with any of my past mice’s teeth and I’m honestly not sure how common a problem it is for mice. I know I certainly hear about it more with hamsters.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down