Question about alpha behavior

Go down

Question about alpha behavior

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:55 am

Ok, so about a week and a half ago I introduced my two mice, Daisy and Holly. When I introduced them in neutral territory, Daisy started to chase Holly and sniff her rear, then Daisy was squatting while walking (I assumed she was marking the territory hers, indicating she was the alpha), and when Daisy would come near Holly, Holly would just freeze and get really low like she was respecting Daisy as the alpha and didn't want to cause trouble. After that I put them in their cage that they would live together in, and Daisy stopped showing she was alpha, but Holly wasn't acting like she was alpha or anything either. A few days ago I gave them some tissue for nesting, and Daisy did all the hard work dragging the pieces one by one to their little nest, but Holly kept acting really rude and aggressively grabbing the tissues right out of Daisy's paws. My question is, anyway, is Holly the new alpha now or is that just normal rude behavior of mice?
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about alpha behavior

Post by scaredymouse on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm

Hard to say. But mice definitely love snatching stuff away from each other. I've seen one try to build a nest and the other one disassemble it piece by piece. They also grab food out of each others mouths! They are funny little things. Sometimes, an alpha will close her eyes and lower her head near her sister as a request to be groomed, not necessarily in deference. So, the behavior you describe could be interpreted other ways. It's funny, to us behavior might seem rude but we don't know the context. But I can tell you is normal! Anyhow, you might need to keep watching to determine your alpha.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down