Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible redness around eye?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Possible redness around eye? Empty Possible redness around eye?

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm

I can't really tell, so if it is even there, it's very slight. She moved around to much when I handled her, and I'm not sure how to get her to stay still since she doesn't really like me handling her yet. What should I do? Keep in mind I can't really tell if it's even there yet, so if it is, it isn't too bad. Not sure what to do - should I clean it nonetheless, or leave it be? It doesn't appear swollen as far as I can tell.
I'll try again to get a picture of it if I can,  but like I said, she moves around A LOT.

Edit: In case it helps, this is Graham doing it.

She had her first bit millet spray today...do you think this could have caused it?

Last edited by ThePetekeyPrep on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Possible redness around eye? Empty Re: Possible redness around eye?

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:57 pm

Edit: Looking at it more I think it might just be missing a bit of hair around it. Possible barbering? Do you think I should wait before taking her to a vet? I'm gonna have to say up the money either way, considering we're low due to all the doctor bills I've had myself.

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:04 pm

Can you get a picture? It could be a few things. Conjunctivitis is pretty common in mice, so that's the most likely scenario. Barbering could be a possibility, but I believe it usually just looks like clipped fur, and around the eye seems like a weird place for it. Try getting pictures, but the safe thing would be to make a vet appointment.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:12 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:Can you get a picture? It could be a few things. Conjunctivitis is pretty common in mice, so that's the most likely scenario. Barbering could be a possibility, but I believe it usually just looks like clipped fur, and around the eye seems like a weird place for it. Try getting pictures, but the safe thing would be to make a vet appointment.

Definitely can't get a picture yet - tried one too many times, to no avail. Bleh. I was hoping to avoid the vets for a little longer but..ah, well. I'm definitely low on money, though, so I'll call around and see what the cheapest option is. On the other hand...she did have millet for the first time earlier today. Do you think this could have caused it?

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:31 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, what food and bedding are your mice on? Maybe something there caused it. Also, do you have saline solution on hand? Try flushing your mouse's irritated eye twice daily for a few days and see if that helps. My bad, I would've mentioned both those things earlier, but they totally slipped my mind!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:37 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, what food and bedding are your mice on? Maybe something there caused it. Also, do you have saline solution on hand? Try flushing your mouse's irritated eye twice daily for a few days and see if that helps. My bad, I would've mentioned both those things earlier, but they totally slipped my mind!

Not sure what that is - I'll have to ask around the house.
I think it might be the millet, considering I've heard they can get allergies to it. I didn't think about that till after posting, though. That's the only thing that's changed in her diet recently.
Bedding? Shredded paper.
Food? Not sure, honestly. I pick out the peanuts, sunflower seeds, and corn but I don't think that's it.

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:Also, do you have saline solution on hand? Try flushing your mouse's irritated eye twice daily for a few days and see if that helps. My bad, I would've mentioned both those things earlier, but they totally slipped my mind!

I have Premium Saline Nasal Spray. Would this do the trick? If so, how should I flush it? Just add a drop or use a Q-tip, etc??

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm

Alright, so the bedding is good. But you don't know what brand of food you feed your mice? Surely it says on the bag. It could be a case of too high crude protein, which can cause allergic reactions in mice. It could be the millet too, or it could be a coincidence. Don't feed millet for the next few days and see if that helps.

No, you need saline solution for eyes. Simple contact solution works well. All you have to do is restrain your mouse as if you were giving medication and make two drops into the eye. The solution should come in a dropper bottle, but if it doesn't you can always improvise and use a pippet or something. Just make sure not to add too much. I've also heard that using a fine paint brush can work, but I have no idea how to do it safely. My Mabel has had eye troubles for most of her life, and whether I was flushing with saline solution or dropping in medications, I always got by with just the drops.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:Alright, so the bedding is good. But you don't know what brand of food you feed your mice? Surely it says on the bag. It could be a case of too high crude protein, which can cause allergic reactions in mice. It could be the millet too, or it could be a coincidence. Don't feed millet for the next few days and see if that helps.

No, you need saline solution for eyes. Simple contact solution works well. All you have to do is restrain your mouse as if you were giving medication and make two drops into the eye. The solution should come in a dropper bottle, but if it doesn't you can always improvise and use a pippet or something. Just make sure not to add too much. I've also heard that using a fine paint brush can work, but I have no idea how to do it safely. My Mabel has had eye troubles for most of her life, and whether I was flushing with saline solution or dropping in medications, I always got by with just the drops.

I usually take the food out of it's bag and put it into a storage container, so no I'm not certain. When this mix runs out, I was planning on switching her over to vitakraft vitasmart parakeet mix as was suggested on this forum, but I can do that sooner if needed. However considering she's been eating it for quite sometime now, I'm not sure that's the problem.

I'll have to go out and get some tomorrow. Do you know where it'd be sold at?
I've heard of people mixing table salt and water and making their own - anyone know how to do this so I can have it on hand quicker? Is it safe to do this?

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm

It's not usually safe to not pay attention to what brand of food you feed your animals. There are some brands that are infamous for including junk in their mixes or for safety hazards, and there's also no way to know if the mix has the right ingredients or amount of crude protein. I'm glad to hear you're switching them over to Vitakraft, though. Like people, mice can develop allergies to anything at any time in their environment, so it could certainly be the food even if she's been eating it her entire life.

Absolutely do not make saline solution by mixing salt and water. That'd just be pouring saltwater into her eye. I can't see it being safe or doing anything remotely helpful. Any local drug store or supermarket in your area should carry contact lens solution. Rite Aid might be a good place to look.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:43 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:It's not usually safe to not pay attention to what brand of food you feed your animals. There are some brands that are infamous for including junk in their mixes or for safety hazards, and there's also no way to know if the mix has the right ingredients or amount of crude protein. I'm glad to hear you're switching them over to Vitakraft, though. Like people, mice can develop allergies to anything at any time in their environment, so it could certainly be the food even if she's been eating it her entire life.

Absolutely do not make saline solution by mixing salt and water. That'd just be pouring saltwater into her eye. I can't see it being safe or doing anything remotely helpful. Any local drug store or supermarket in your area should carry contact lens solution. Rite Aid might be a good place to look.

Good to know! I'll be buying a bag ASAP.

I asked my mother about it and I turns out she has some saline eye drops. We'll start using them tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, we're oconsidering starting an isay - where you answer surveys to get money - or possibly a GoFundMe, considering how low we are on money right now.

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:57 pm

Best of luck!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 1:32 am

You mentioned that you were concerned about an allergy to millet. That is highly unlikely, that is a main ingredient in almost every food mix for rodents. As far as the saline eye drops go, do your best to gently restrain the mouse and put a drop in the eye twice a day. Be very careful to avoid the nose.

It is not uncommon for mice to have irritated eyes. It is usually the result of dirty bedding in the nest. It's not likely that it's barbaring, as the eye is a weird spot for that. The most common thing mice barbar is whiskers. The vet isn't usually needed for common eye irritation. A few days of saline should clear it up. And it could clear up on it's own, too. For the next couple of weeks, try to clean out the nest once or twice between full cage cleanings.

The best way to get a picture is when they are eating. Usually when i toss in a few treats, they all come running. Then they sit and eat.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 8:45 am

@scaredymouse wrote:You mentioned that you were concerned about an allergy to millet.  That is highly unlikely, that is a main ingredient in almost every food mix for rodents.  As far as the saline eye drops go, do your best to gently restrain the mouse and put a drop in the eye twice a day.  Be very careful to avoid the nose.

It is not uncommon for mice to have irritated eyes.  It is usually the result of dirty bedding in the nest.  It's not likely that it's barbaring, as the eye is a weird spot for that.  The most common thing mice barbar is whiskers.  The vet isn't usually needed for common eye irritation.  A few days of saline should clear it up.  And it could clear up on it's own, too.  For the next couple of weeks, try to clean out the nest once or twice between full cage cleanings.

The best way to get a picture is when they are eating.  Usually when i toss in a few treats, they all come running.   Then they sit and eat.  

Ah. Good thing.
I'll be our of state for three days starting next Saturday. My grandmother will be watching over the animals, however she's too fearful of rodents to mess with their nest. Will this be okay until I get back?
I did eventually get a snap of Graham eating. I'll post a picture on PC - one moment.

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

River
River

Pisces Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum