Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Weird breathing?

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Weird breathing?

Post by River on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 pm

It's good that she's healthy otherwise. There is a high chance it's an allergy, so lets try not to be too stressed out.  The hunched posture is usually a sign of illness - all mice sit sort of hunched sometimes, but if she does it all the time or looks ill or uncomfortable, then it's a worry. Can we get some pictures or a video of her in her cage?

It's good that her breathing is quiet. I'm not sure about the chattering - chattering and URI sounds often get mixed up, but I'm sure someone here could tell the difference.

While I too, don't recommend Tetracycline, I'd say it's a 'worst case scenario' move to make, if anything.

Hold in there. We know this is a hard situation for you - we can never personally understand, and we don't know your reasons or your life, so we have no room to judge you. You love your mice dearly, and you really do want the best for them, we can all see that. This is such a difficult time. Try not to feel too guilty.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:59 pm

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 pm

I can't hear any clicking from the video (though Rosie was being obnoxiously loud the entire time), and she doesn't seem to be sneezing a lot from what I can hear. It just looks like she's breathing very, very heavily. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's some form of allergy or dust that's making it hard for her to breathe. 

It's good that she looks perky otherwise, but the thing about mice is that they may not ever act sick until it's far too late. She could have a URI but is just keeping her chin up really well. When my Little Cow had a massive cancerous tumor, you would have never guessed she was terminally ill until her last few hours. Up til then, she was her ordinary, happy, annoying self. So while it's good that she's acting like herself and seems happy, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 pm

I will try the shredded newspaper option and taking out wood toys, fingers crossed that will help. My parents said it's ok, so I'm going to tell you I'm only 14. That's the reason I can't afford the vet, and my parents can't either, this is my responsibility. I have $20 currently saved up but that's about it. All the vets I've heard of around here are over $100 for a check up, my dad took his turtle to a vet once and he said it was really expensive. Coincidentally, his turtle had a respiratory infection, and he still has the medicine the vet gave him, do you think it would be ok to give to her if it happens to not be allergies? I can list the ingredients if you need, it is almost entirely made of natural ingredients. It would really make me sad to give up keeping mice, and I really do take care of them, I don't think its necessary to give up keeping mice when I can care for them perfectly, and neither do my parents.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:12 pm

After this tough experience, I think I'm going to start saving up for an emergency vet fund, like the rest of you guys.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Absolutely do not give prescription medications to a mouse without a vet's advice, especially if it's meant for another animal. It would be asking for disaster. I understand that you're young, but try to convince your parents. Your dad took a turtle to a vet; would they really be opposed to taking mice?

Now, this is going to sound a bit harsh, but please hear me out. What are you going to do if one of your girls is suffering from cancer and is in pain, and only pain meds prescribed from a vet could help her to live out the last of her days in comfort? What are you going to do if one of your mice's lungs are filling with fluid from a pneumonia, and only prescription meds can help her to breathe and be pain free? What are you going to do if your mouse is suffering from tapeworm and will die of malnutrition if she isn't given the proper medications? What are you going to do if your mouse is suffering and in pain and needs a euthanasia to be released from it? You need a vet for all of these things.

When you have pets, vet care is not optional. Mice are animals who are prone to many, many different health problems, one of which is malignant tumors. Besides mites, a vet is needed to treat all of them. You have pet type mice. All of your girls are going to need a vet's help to live happy and healthy lives at some point, no matter how well you take care of them. This is an unavoidable fact. Denying a pet vet care is denying them their right to live happily and healthily. Now I know it's not your choice, and I'm so sorry for it. Keep the mice you have for now. But condemning more mice to live a life without access to vet care would be completely unfair to any mouse you took in, no matter what. As owners, we make a promise when we adopt a pet to provide that pet with whatever they need, whenever they need it, no matter what. Vet care is a part of that. If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't be willing to back out of that promise because of that. 

You have to think of what is best for your mice, not you. They make you happy, but when they are in pain with cancer or coughing with URIs, they probably will not be happy. Giving them to a place that will be able to provide them with the vet care they need is a responsible thing to do. If you don't want to, start saving up. Get money wherever you can. Take up work, do chores around the house, sell items, save up birthday money, beg your parents, anything. Try your best to do what you can for the girls you have now. That's all you can do.

I'm sorry. I hate to give tough love, I really do. But it's important to emphasize the necessity of vet care, not just for you but for any guests passing through here. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine being in the tough situation you're in. *Hugs.*

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 am

Please do not give your mouse the turtles medication. The medication may not be safe. And even if it was safe, there is no way to know what the dose should be. It could kill them.

Also, do not use tetracycline. Not once have I ever seen that medication prescribed to mice for anything, let alone a respiratory infection. Additionally, antibiotics have a specific therapeutic window, too little and they don't work. Too much and they can cause horrible side effects, and even organ damage. Doctors choose specific antibiotics to attack certain kinds of bacteria. And for URI's, vets always prescribe Baytril, which is in a completely different drug class than tetracycline.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:55 am

I have to agree with Cinna. Every pet owner will run into a hard time when there is little money on their hands at some point in one of their pets life, so just know that there are always options and ways to get you and your pet out safely.
I had never thought about that, scaredy. I'd only heard good things of it a few times, so I'd assumed it was something vets recommended. Sorry!
However - starting up an emergency vet/medication fund is a lovely idea! Have you talked to your parents about the situation and asked if they can provide any money at all, like 20$ and have you pitch in the rest? Have you called around vets or looked online? You could also call a vet for advice. Calling is free. Is there any way you can make extra money? Ask your parents for allowance and do chores for them, or you can ask to start a yard sale or have them help you advertise items on ebay or craigslist. Fourteen year olds can babysit, petsit, housesit, and even do basic yard or house work with a parents permission. In some counties, and in some stores, you can even pick up an actual job as bagger. Talk to your parents about these opportunities. What's important here is that you try your hardest to get her the proper care.

I know nobody likes asking for money, but is it possible to ask any pet loving family members to help out if it ends up not being a simple allergy?

I can agree that you do care for your mice near perfectly. You love them, you use good bedding, and you give them fun toys and attention. You pay attention to them and their health. For that alone, they are and always will be grateful.
But perfect care does require a vet bill. Use this as a learning experience, if you will.

We're sorry to sound harsh - we sympathies with you greatly. We know your situation is hard - all you can do now is try your best, and keep getting better.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:59 am

I should also mention that turtles are more exotic than mice even, so I'd expect them to cost more. Ask him if you and your family can check the prices for mice specifically at different vets. This is very important to do, as all vets have different prices for different animals.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:23 am

Whilst her breathing seems very heavy, she does look in pretty good condition. So hopefully this is an allergy situation. Forgive me if you've already said this - but what do you have in her tank exactly? Bedding, nesting material etc?

In my research on mycoplasmosis (one of the biggest causes of respiratory infections in rats and mice), I believe I read that tetracycline did used to be used to treat these infections, but that it was replaced by baytril and other antibiotics as they are much more effective. The danger of using tetracycline to treat your mice at home, is that without a vet's knowledge, you will have no idea how much to give her and could end up making her ill because of an overdose.

I agree with ThePetekeyPrep - I'd expect a vet visit to be more expensive for a turtle as they are more exotic. Did you manage to ring vets and ask for a price quote? It may cost a lot less than you think. If you are too shy to ring (I hate talking to strangers on the phone lol) you could try googling your local vets, see if they have a website and you may be able to find an email address to contact them and ask for a quote?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 pm

@MouseLover wrote:Forgive me if you've already said this - but what do you have in her tank exactly? Bedding, nesting material etc?
CareFresh, the white CareFresh, for bedding. I haven't given her any nesting material. She has a plastic hide, PetCo water bottle, plastic food dish with wild bird seed (No striped sunflower seeds or anything bad), a kaytee puzzle playground thingy, a little block of wood for chewing, and a toy I made out of popsicle sticks, non-toxic hot glue, felt, and hemp string.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:43 pm

I just finished tearing up newspaper and replaced her bedding with the shredded up newspaper, when should I expect the heavy breathing to stop if it is allergies?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:45 pm

I'd also remove popsicle stick items just in case she has a less common wood allergy. What's the protein, fat, and fiber of the mix?

It should stop or significantly improve within 2 weeks.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:49 pm

The crude protein count in the food is especially important. I haven't heard of CP causing breathing problems, but it's best not to rule it out.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:53 pm

I did remove the wood toys, forgot to mention that.  I don't know the exact protein, fat, and fiber. What does the protein, fat, and fiber have to do with allergies? Just wondering. I also have a box of regular old boring block food, and I tried giving her a piece of that but she wouldn't eat it. My other mice go crazy for the blocks because I give them as a treat. She's picky and only eats seeds. But I wouldn't blame her, those blocks don't look very yummy. I'll ask my dad if he still has the package so I can see the Crude Protein, the seeds are actually for his pet birds but he lets me feed them to my mice Smile.

Edit: He said he threw away the package, sorry. Was it that important?

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top