I am certain that one of my mice are pregnant ETA PICS

Go down

I am certain that one of my mice are pregnant ETA PICS

Post by Blackcandyapple on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm

pear shaped compared to her sister, should I return her to the pet store or try and take care of possibly 10 new mice? this is my first time having mice, and I've had them for a week, also I don't know how I'd find them all new homes.

also she's the more reserved of the two, I cannot pick her up for the life of me she's all over the place if she's out, sort hopping or moving quickly about the place, generally avoiding me.

*UPDATE: she's actually been coming out more, it's like they've switched personalities...

it was hard to get pictures of them cause they were zooming all over the place, so I don't really have any good ones comparing them. This is all Matilda, the one I think is pregnant.

Last edited by Blackcandyapple on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:34 pm; edited 3 times in total

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I am certain that one of my mice are pregnant ETA PICS

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

Where did you get your mice from? If it's a pet store that keeps both males and females, whether in separate tanks or not, then it is likely that she's pregnant. Mice from places like Petco are more likely to be pregnant than mice from Petsmart. You also may want to reevaluate your mice's sex, as pet stores are notorious for mis-sexing them, and they may have sold you a boy and a girl. 

Why not post a picture of the pregnant girl here? We'll be able to tell of she's pregnant or just gaining weight. Also, if you want to post pictures of your mice's genitalia, we can sex them for you. It's very important to be 100% certain what your mice's sex are, as boys and girls have different requirements.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:10 pm

I'll try and get a picture, I did get them from petsmart so I thought I was safe, they sell no male mice there, maybe it's just a fluke but she's massive!

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 6:32 pm

I agree that a picture would be lovely. Have you observed any humping behavior? I would think you'd have observed some if both your pets were the opposite sex, but....
Keep in mind, mice don't tend to show much until near the end of gestation, so if she is in fact pregnant, she's very far into her pregnancy, which also makes me think both your mice are the same sex.

On the other hand, do what you think is best for the mice. Personally, I wouldn't give them away to a petstore - even a good shelter or a rescue are better than pet shops. Maybe find a good breeder willing to take her in? It's up to you, 100%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some mice get very 'pregnant' or 'fat' looking when they have abdominal tumors. This is probably the least likely scenario, but it's not unheard of. If so, I doubt there's much that can be done.

Is she passing stools well? Eating, active? Has she been building nests?

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 10:35 pm

Does anyone know what PetSmart's policy is regarding babies born when a rodent is sent to them pregnant?  Since they don't sell mice as snake food, I wonder. Hmm. 

Blackcandyapple, you might want to call the store and ask for their small animal person. He/she must have some idea.

Petekey, Humping/mounting is common among females.  It can become disturbingly graphic.  If you have not yet seen it, um, well, you won't forget it once you have!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 2:01 am

I would think that if PetSmart sold you a pregnant doe, they would be obligated to take the babies back. And fortunately, they don't sell them as feeders. I would contact them as soon as possible to discuss your concerns. If it were me, I would keep her and have fun with the experience and them *make* PetSmart take the babies. The only thing is that she will need to be in her own tank when she has the babies. If that's not possible. maybe you could take her back to petsmart if they can promise that they will return her after they are weaned. I personally would like giving my mouse up and trusting she would be returned. Every time I bring home a girl, I secretly hope she's pregnant. I would love to get my hands on some accidental babies. You end up with sweet, tame little mice that you from the day their born. It's pretty neat.

I know at Petco when a mouse has babies, they just plop it in the back room and don't interact with it. They don't handle the babies and tame them. I'm sure she would be much better off with you.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:20 am

I would love some accidental babies, imagine how tame they'd be if you've been handling them since day 3. I'd be tempted to let her have the babies and keep a couple more girls Razz

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

Now I'm thinking the smaller one was a runt, and the pregnant looking one was just a normal sized mouse? Do they still look different when full grown?

Also so if she is pregnant I shouldn't keep her in the tank with her sister? I thought maybe her sister would act like a nanny mouse, there's a dollar per gallon sale at a petco so I'm thinking I'll nab a few extra tanks just in case. I had a bit of a nightmare last night that they both were pregnant and had 20+ babies!

Last edited by Blackcandyapple on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm

They should just look like normal mice. Did you manage to get a picture? Oftentimes when pet shop mice go to a good home, they'll gorge themselves on the good food and gain some weight, but pear-shaped mice are more likely pregnant. It'd be easier to tell with a photo.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm

I took some pictures, hopefully you can see the difference, but I just have to wait for my cousin to send me them...

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:22 pm

Hmm. While I'm not the most educated person to ask, she doesn't look very pregnant to me. A bit tubby, if anything. I'd keep track of her weight anyhow - mice are only pregnant for 21 days on average, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.
All-in-all, I don't think she's pregnant, no. Did you manage to snag any photos of their genitals so we can help with sexing them just in case?

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm

pretty sure they're girls, I've seen male mice and it's pretty obvious. I'll keep an eye on her.

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:29 pm

True, but if I'm not wrong, males don't always show their testicles, as they can retract them into the body. Good luck with them! They're both stunningly beautiful.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 3:38 pm

She doesn't look pregnant yet, but it looks like she might start showing soon if she is. Males usually show their testicles, but they can sometimes suck them up into the body and hide them. Do you wanna post pics of their genitalia just in case? 

I'm with Petekey. Keep track of her weight. If she starts gaining very fast, then she's most likely pregnant. Start from the day you got them and count 21 days from there. If she hasn't had a litter by that date, then you're in the clear.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 4:21 pm

Such a pretty mouse Smile I don't think she looks obviously pregnant, but some mice "show" more/less than others... her belly does look a little bit round.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down