Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi, aiming at getting better

Go down

Hi, aiming at getting better Empty Hi, aiming at getting better

Post by MicoMice Fri 03 May 2019, 7:41 am

Hi,

I have decided to join this community in oder to become a better owner. My little Tchout died yesterday night. I'll skip the details but I'm pretty sure I could have done something to prevent it if I would have been more attentive to signs of illness. He was very young. His friend is depressed and sleeps with cotons on top of him which he never did, to compensate the lack of the other furry head Tchout used to lay on top on him when they were sleeping together.

I didn't expect it to hurt so much. I cired all night and I'm still feeling incredibly bad. I miss him so much. At this hour he would start to get near his cage door and we would play for one or two togther. He would lick me everywhere and gently bite my nails. He would get banana bites and eat them in such a cute way. His friend is way harder to tame but I'm making progress... but each mouse is unique, and I'll dearly miss him.

Tomorrow I'm going to the pet shop where I bought him, because I have questions. His death was so sudden, and besides tiredness nothing showed (still, I should have beebn more paranoid about that). He was supposed to be young. I'll also purchase another male, and a plant where I'll bury Tchout's body.

You'll see me around trying to get better and aiming at giving our cute friends an enjoyable time with use on planet earth,
Nice to meet you.
MicoMice
MicoMice

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Hi, aiming at getting better Empty :(

Post by BrendoniUrie Fri 03 May 2019, 6:12 pm

Hey, I'm really sorry for your loss. Pet store mice and animals are more susceptible to diseases due to bad breeding. (Think puppy mills but for mice and other pet store animals) If these are your first mice, it's hard to know what's going on. Even though your remaining little guy may seem lonely, it's highly advised AGAINST housing male mice together. Even brothers from the same litter end up fighting eventually, and mice who get along one day can snap the next. I suggest checking out the thread on housing male mice. You should interact with your remaining mouse a lot though! I'm really glad you're here and looking to improve on your mouse parenting.

Just because they're mice doesn't make the loss any easier, you've taken care of that little guy and loved him and he had a sudden death. I would also cry and be very sad if one of my mice died. They're such unique individuals and I can tell them apart despite them all being white red eyed mice. If you really want another mouse, you ought to get him another enclosure and keep the two boys separate. You can also keep several females together, and when one passes, there will be other mice to grieve with for them (not together with your male mouse).

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Hi, aiming at getting better Empty Re: Hi, aiming at getting better

Post by MicoMice Fri 03 May 2019, 7:14 pm

Hi there,

thank you for your kind words.

I'm trying my best to tame the remaining mice, Pop. He has been very scared of any form of mouvement and it's very hard to get close to him. I'm trying to remain near his cage and talk to him but I'm scared it won't suffice: are you sure taking another mouse will end up badlly? They used to fight a bit at the beginning, Tchout, the one who died, even bled. But they calmed down once Poup seemed to have established dominance (he's huge, not fat, but just huge). I have been giving him vrey small dried banana chunk as treat in my hand he's slowly getting used to it. I usually visit him 3 or 4 times a day to try to get him used to me, so once we have built a relationship we can play together and he won't feel lonely.

But I have noticed he's missing his friend. Tchout used to sleep on top of him and he's replicating that with the coton. He has the first day of Tchout's death been smelling the cage bars where Tchout used to come to ask for peting and going out. Even though he's scared of me, I want him to be happy; even if I never build contact with him, I want to know he's enjoying his life.

I my opinion, owning a pet should bring happiness to the owner, but as owner, my most important duty is to make sure my pets are happy first/ I'm going to the store tmrw to at least byuy a plant to burry my dear Tchout so I can take care of him as a flower. I don't know now if I'll buy another one. I'll dig into the forum about that.

Cheers.

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by BrendoniUrie Fri 03 May 2019, 7:24 pm

Yes, it usually ends badly more often than it ends good. Check out this thread. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4233-brothers-ok-together#31508

You sound like a very good pet owner! A way to keep your mouse happy while you're bonding with him is to give him lots of things to explore and play with. You can buy toys or you can find stuff around the house like plain tissues, paper towels, cardboard tubes, etc.

Also it might be better to put Tchout out in the garden to bury him. You can put the flower on top too! I don't think his body will decompose properly in a house plant, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else might have more experience with this.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by MicoMice Sat 04 May 2019, 6:47 am

Oh, it was a shock.. some of the photos.. well mine spent 2 months together and did really fine. However, I don't think I'm ready to take the risk especially considering Pop dominant nature and strength. I will buy today a toy and a plant for the ceremony I want to have for Tchout. Sadly, I do not own a garden and live in a 18 square meter apartment. I do have a small balcony where I can stand, but barely. Maybe I will put the plant there, even though I'd prefer to have it inside.

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down