Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care

Go down

New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care Empty New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care

Post by WBCarson on Mon 06 May 2019, 11:25 am

Late last summer i found a mother mouse and her 3 babies in my grill. She would move them around the grill but not away from it. Dragged them through the grease trap too and since the grill was in the sun it was burning hot inside. After a few times she gave up and just sat with her hands on her pinkies. I picked her and the babies up, put them in an aquarium where she made herself right at home and didnt care if i was in it or not. When the baby's were weaned i let her go-much to her dissatisfaction. She was getting fat and lazy.

I did my best to sex them and determined all were female. One was beating up the other one so i put her into her own aquarium. All has been well
2 weeks ago i find a litter of babies. I move their toys around nightly and a full clean each week and have never found any evidence of babies. Closer exam of the other its now obvious its a male. ( I know and have had rats alot, mice are new for me)
All 3 mice are very sweet, play, popcorn and thanks to this site I know what sparkling is. Used to being touched alot but not held.

I dont want to leave her in with the male for obvious reasons.
I need help making sure the alone one is indeed a female. Please see attached pics.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/20/06/71/95/20190512.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/20/06/71/95/20190510.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/20/06/71/95/20190511.jpg

If its a female can i put my female mouse with babies in the same aquarium with her? Should i wait? I would hate for the one who is used to having her own cage to fight or hurt the babies.
I know to disinfect and de-scent before introducing and i have switched the toys every other day to keep each others scents familiar in the hopes of one day getting them all back in the same cage.
If the one in the pictures is a male than they get their own cage.

Thanks!

Will

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care Empty Re: New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care

Post by CallaLily on Mon 06 May 2019, 5:33 pm

Honestly, I can’t see well enough but maybe it’s because I’m on my phone. Hopefully someone else that has a better view of the images can tell or if you can try for a few more (I know it’s not easy, sorry).

Wait until the babies are weaned (4 weeks) before introducing to other females. Also, separate male babies at this time - each in their own cage.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care Empty Re: New suprise littler of baby mice - Help ID and care

Post by WBCarson on Mon 06 May 2019, 10:08 pm

@CallaLily wrote:Honestly, I can’t see well enough but maybe it’s because I’m on my phone. Hopefully someone else that has a better view of the images can tell or if you can try for a few more (I know it’s not easy, sorry).

Wait until the babies are weaned (4 weeks) before introducing to other females. Also, separate male babies at this time - each in their own cage.

Yes, its hard to tell. i am leaning toward female. I also picked up one of the babies and looked. Pretty sure its a male by what the diagrams show.
I have 3 mice in 3 different aquariums now. Their eyes are just opening and look squinty but i have started handling them.
Thank you!!

WBCarson
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down