Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help!

Go down

Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help! Empty Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help!

Post by SJay on Tue 28 May 2019, 2:23 am

Hi Everyone

I'd like some info please... We have had 3 female mice since November last year and recently Acer has been unwell which I want to write about at length in another post when I get time to sit down and write it but in the meantime Noomi, the overweight top-dog mouse is humping her soo much more than she ever used to.

We are having to take Acer away from the others each night for maybe 30 minutes to an hour to give her anti-inflammatory drugs, washing her bottom half with hibiscrub to keep her clean and give her piles of food to gauge on to get her weight back up again (because Noomi is fat I can't put endless amounts of food in their cage) does anyone know why she's humping her more? And for ages! Acer doesn't seem faised by it, she carries on eating or drinking while it's happening and doesn't squeak etc but it's horrible to see and watch especially when she's recovering.

Also when Noomi finally gets off of her Acer is wet on her backend as if Noomi has wee'd?? On her... Please tell me this is wee.

I'd be grateful for some advice and maybe a way to break this cycle because I feel now that maybe it's become a habit?

Thanks, Sarah
SJay
SJay

Capricorn Batty

Back to top Go down

Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help! Empty Re: Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help!

Post by CallaLily on Tue 28 May 2019, 6:53 pm

First, double check that they are indeed all female. Smile

Once that’s out of the way, it can be a fairly common thing among female mice as a display of dominance. As long as no serious fights are breaking out, it shouldn’t be an issue. I know it’s annoying but she’ll probably back off with it eventually. It may be from her extended time away from the cage each day and/or any lingering “new” smell from the medicine/wash.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help! Empty Re: Female mouse humping others... More than before - Please Help!

Post by SJay on Wed 29 May 2019, 12:46 am

Thanks CallaLily

I'm pretty sure they're all girls as they're 'bits' look female and they've been together since birth (September 2018) and no babies as yet.

The meds are hopefully due to stop Friday so fingers crossed she'll stop... It's horrible to see.

Thank you, Sarah
SJay
SJay

Capricorn Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Fri 31 May 2019, 2:31 am

Dragon would hump Clue (both girls) all the time Laughing

It's sometimes done for dominance as Calla said, and if it's not causing her harm (stopping her from eating/drinking etc) it's probably not really anything to worry about~

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down