Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety checking for these items and materials

Go down

Safety checking for these items and materials Empty Safety checking for these items and materials

Post by Mouserinks on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 1:21 pm

These are made of untreated beech wood: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9VZG32/?coliid=I2Q65EN7U14K4C&colid=1CP4LFICWPL7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

These are "samak" wood: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNJKBBT/?coliid=I2R2I4XOZWESYU&colid=1CP4LFICWPL7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

- Are either of these safe for mice to chew on? I have read untreated beech is safe, but is it always safe?

- When it comes to rope, what is safest? Just assuming that Mousers might try to nibble on it. I was looking at 100% cotton rope, like the one below. I want to replace the chains on some mouse toys with rope instead, so that my mouse can't get his wrist stuck in the chain.
https://www.amazon.com/Ravenox-Twisted-Natural-Butchers-Knotting/dp/B07MFG4F2K/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=cotton%2Brope&qid=1568846534&s=gateway&sr=8-31&th=1

- One more question! My mouse has never once nipped or bitten me, but he does nip my girlfriend at random. She's not rough with him or anything, he's just like this with women. Whenever she interacts with him, she wears either latex or nitrile gloves, doubled so she can't get hurt (his teeth don't go through). But the latex ones make me nervous because they are powdered on the inside and trace amounts of powder might be on the outside too. Could they be harmful to him?

Thanks in advance!
Mouserinks
Mouserinks

Virgo Batty

Back to top Go down

Safety checking for these items and materials Empty Re: Safety checking for these items and materials

Post by Robin~ on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 3:12 pm

Hello!

I probably wouldn’t risk it with any of these. I really couldn’t find much on samak, and beech is actually regarded as being unsafe (perhaps you were thinking of birch?).

With rope, I would probably go for hemp. However, even then the threads of it can become dangerous if chewed (which, if your mouse is anything like mine, that will happen extremely often). Plastic baby chains or paper clips are great options.

As for the gloves, I think a pair of knit gloves would be better as those are definitely safe. Then again, she may not even need them— does she wash her hands before handling him? With any trace of food your mouse may think you’re a snack haha.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Safety checking for these items and materials Empty Re: Safety checking for these items and materials

Post by CallaLily on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 5:43 pm

As for rope - hemp, sisal, and jute are all perfectly safe. Even if chewed. Cotton tends to have longer strands that don’t break as easily, so tend to get tangled around limbs or cause blockages if ingested. Best to avoid cotton.

I’m not sure about the wood or gloves.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down