Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housing an aggressive mouse.

Go down

Housing an aggressive mouse. Empty Housing an aggressive mouse.

Post by kilroy227 on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 12:41 pm

I had 2 females about a year old and one recently died. I read you shouldn't house females alone so I got two more. The first pair never used to fight but when I try to introduce the new ones to the surviving older one she attacks them. (New ones are also female). I tried putting them in a cage that has been cleaned of scent and has multiple food and water sources but the older one just seeks out the younger ones and attacks them. When I separate them she starts beating her tail on the ground and sides of the cage. I currently have the older one housed alone. I don't want to leave her alone but I don't know how to get her to not attack the other two. Any suggestions?

PS. I'm aware that mice will show some aggression to establish a pecking order but this seemed more than that to me. Although, I am admittedly inexperienced in caring for mice so it may look worse to me than it is.

kilroy227

Back to top Go down

Housing an aggressive mouse. Empty Re: Housing an aggressive mouse.

Post by Robin~ on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 1:19 pm

You might be able to get away with just putting the cages next to each other and letting them out for quick bonding sessions in a playpen to start so they can meet each other in fully neutral territory. Until the solo girl gets paired, though, I would be sure to spend some more time with her so she doesn’t get lonely.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down