Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oopsie, bars too wide!

Go down

Oopsie, bars too wide! Empty Oopsie, bars too wide!

Post by Nicolademee on Mon 06 Jan 2020, 12:11 am

So my friend is getting mice and I helped him find a cage on letgo. The cage looked fine in the photos. It was advertised as a guinea pig cage (RIP to any poor pigs kept in a cage like it .. too small!), But in the Photo the bars looked close together. Well I just had my friend measure it and the bar spacing is 2.1cm... great. His pinky fits just fine. So I guess instead of tossing it we're going to figure out putting mesh on it. It's a nice cage, 27" in length, about 16" Width, 10" tall and 5" pan. I like it, it's very clean and nice. It should make a nice home for 2-3 females or a male Smile We've already got TONS of toys, food, treats, a wheel, hides, etc. All that's next is mesh and bedding, then we're off to the shelter. We've already found a pair of females up for adoption and a single male, so if one is still up for adoption we'll get them. If not we may have to buy if no new animals go up in the next few months (very very few places that offer mice for adoption anywhere near us). Wish us luck when we get the mousies!
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Oopsie, bars too wide! Empty Re: Oopsie, bars too wide!

Post by Daveironside on Tue 07 Jan 2020, 3:58 pm

I had a similar issue when I purchased a new home, it had clear plastic sides and a barred roof, problem was I discovered one of my four mice could stand on top of their habitat and jump up to the bars and could puller herself through. I simply got hold of some chicken wire and some cable ties and added the mesh over the top and stopped the little acrobat escaping. She would still jump and grab hold of the bars and hang upside down before lowering herself onto the top of the water bottle and clambering back down to ground level.

Daveironside

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:07 pm

Does it have to be the metal kind? Will plastic work or is metal the best option?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

@Nicolademee wrote:Does it have to be the metal kind? Will plastic work or is metal the best option?

Mice can chew out of plastic mesh, so metal is the best option. A bit more pricey but well worth it Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm

@Robin~ wrote:
@Nicolademee wrote:Does it have to be the metal kind? Will plastic work or is metal the best option?

Mice can chew out of plastic mesh, so metal is the best option. A bit more pricey but well worth it Smile

Okay great, I'll use metal. Out of curiosity, are you also on Hamsterhideout.com?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sluggish

Back to top Go down