Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aquarium, bin cage?

Go down

Aquarium, bin cage? Empty Aquarium, bin cage?

Post by petmom74 on Sun 26 Jan 2020, 1:01 am

I read the information listed at the top of this section and I'm a bit confused as to which is the best option. I read that aquariums can have poor ventilation and be dangerous in that way but that wire cages can cause wire chewing (which I read to be dangerous for them too?), not to mention the Savic costs 200 with shipping and I can order from amazon, which has terrible ethics in terms of conditions that staff work under (which I don't want to support). I read that theres a concern of chewing through bin cages, is this common? Basically, I'd like to ask what you all would recommend I do? Are 10 gallons well enough ventilated for two mice and toys, or should i look at a 15 or 20? Or is there little concern of them chewing through a bin cage and should I do that instead? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want them to have a safe habitat.

petmom74

Back to top Go down

Aquarium, bin cage? Empty Re: Aquarium, bin cage?

Post by chiroptera on Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:52 am

@petmom74 There's no one sure answer as to the best option, it's all really personal preferences - but, personally, I vastly prefer bin cages. It is a bit extra work, since you have to modify the bins rather than just buying an aquarium or wire cage, but I think they're great. Bins are completely customizable, they're lightweight, they provide more ventilation than a tank, they're a little bit cheaper, overall I like them much better than aquariums and wire cages.

Them chewing through the bins isn't really that common, I've only had one issue with a bin being chewed through, it was a specific mouse and none of my other mice have ever attempted it. I don't think it's much more likely than mice escaping in another way (squeezing between cage bars, chewing through a mesh lid, lid not being closed all the way, etc), and wouldn't really be too worried. (Obviously it's something to keep an eye on, but it's not super common.)

If you do decide to go for a bin cage, feel free to PM me here or if you have Discord, message me there: krogan queen tabby#5445 because I'd be happy to help!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Mahjong, Clue, Pumpkin, Spider, Beetle, Peebee, Jay, Sid, Zola, Caramel, Hazelnut, Bonny, Thyme, Olive, Popcorn, Shelley, Frida, Lovey, Dragon + Pancake
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:10 pm

Hello!

I’ve used both barred and bin cages. I actually used a meshed guinea pig cage and it worked pretty well; I just ended up upgrading to a bin after a bit. Never had any issues with bar chewing in that time; the issue only comes when you use a small cage or don’t enrich it enough.

For bins, they can work provide you properly ventilate them. I suggest having at least two sides meshed for a good amount of ventilation. 1/4” hardware mesh is best; it runs for about $15 a roll.

Tanks are a bit debated—some people have success with them and others, like my vet, don’t recommend them due to ventilation. But, in my opinion, I’d go for at least a 15g for two mice, 20g for 3-4.

Last edited by Robin~ on Wed 29 Jan 2020, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:57 pm

For two sides of ventilation like Robin said, my advice is the 'front' (one of the longer sides) and lid to be meshed for ventilation. I also like to drill small air holes on the other three sides just in case. It's probably not super necessary, but it can't hurt either.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Mahjong, Clue, Pumpkin, Spider, Beetle, Peebee, Jay, Sid, Zola, Caramel, Hazelnut, Bonny, Thyme, Olive, Popcorn, Shelley, Frida, Lovey, Dragon + Pancake
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down