Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Many questions in one.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Many questions in one.

Post by Artistwolf on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:48 pm

It could be dandruff in her fur caused by the mites or something, couldn't it?

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:01 pm

@CallaLily wrote:.

Edit: do you know what the humidity is in that room?  

Not certain - I can find out, though. My sister has a removable humidity monitor for her reptiles so I imagine I can borrow it to check.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:02 pm

@Artistwolf wrote:It could be dandruff in her fur caused by the mites or something, couldn't it?

That's true - I never considered that.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:51 pm

The only video I could get was super poor - the lighting is bad. The clicking in the background isn't the mice, it's the camera - it makes a clicking noise when it films. Hopefully it'll be enough, though? The sneeze is around 0:20 but I don't know for sure....Also, excuse my talon-like nails, I play guitar so naturally..one side needs to be longer so I've just taken to being too lazy to bother with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kiysZjSe4

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:20 am

I don't see anything to be concerned about. In addition to being adorable, your girl looks healthy and her breathing looks normal. Mice make all kinds of little noises. Did you see the video of my mouse, Penny, I posted? If not, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCPQ2FgHs0

she went from never making a noise, to a full on talker overnight. of course, I thought she was dying of pneumonia. so I was delighted to find out that it was normal mouse chatter. I also have a mouse that makes a noise that resembles a sneeze a little bit but it's just part of her normal vocalization.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. it doesn't sound like a sneeze to me, her breathing is normal, her fur looks healthy, she is a healthy weight and she is alert. Also, it has been going on for a long time, i would expect her eyes to be irritated, too, if it was allergies. Also, paper based bedding doesn't usually cause allergies. All these things combined makes me think you are dealing with normal mouse noises.

You could go back to nice, soft paper bedding like kaytee clean and cozy, it's fairly low dust and much softer for mice to play around in.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 am

I agree she looks really healthy Smile I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on her general health, as you would do for your mice anyway.

Just like with people - it is normal to sneeze sometimes, and some people sneeze more than others. Maybe she has a sensitive nose. But if she had an allergy or a respiratory infection for this long you'd expect to see other symptoms by now.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 pm

@scaredymouse wrote: she went from never making a noise, to a full on talker overnight.  of course, I thought she was dying of pneumonia. so I was delighted to find out that it was normal mouse chatter.  I also have a mouse that makes a noise that resembles a sneeze a little bit but it's just part of her normal vocalization.  

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  it doesn't sound like a sneeze to me, her breathing is normal, her fur looks healthy, she is a healthy weight and she is alert.  Also, it has been going on for a long time, i would expect her eyes to be irritated, too, if it was allergies.  Also, paper based bedding doesn't usually cause allergies.  All these things combined makes me think you are dealing with normal mouse noises.

Good to know I have nothing to worry about. However, I think it is a sneeze of some sort as throughout this whole ordeal, if you hold her up to your ear, you can hear the breathing (which I don't think is normal?), but even so, I guess you're right; it would've been worse by now if it was something to be worried about. Glad to know she's healthy!

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:15 pm

@MouseLover wrote: Just like with people - it is normal to sneeze sometimes, and some people sneeze more than others. Maybe she has a sensitive nose. But if she had an allergy or a respiratory infection for this long you'd expect to see other symptoms by now.

Phew. I'm glad. It'd make sense that her nose is just sensitive, considering she does it most when the cage gets smelly or dusty.

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top