Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Red rimmed eyes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Red rimmed eyes

Post by Soren on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Himi has red rims around her eyes. She gave birth over 3 weeks ago, and her pups are just a few days short of weaning age. She lives with her sister (who is also the pup's nanny).
I read that red tears from stress could cause this... Could rearing so many young be why shy's crying red tears? But her pups no longer nurse from her, I thought now that they're almost weaned, she would be less stressed. Do I need to take her to the vet? What is your take on this?

Here is a picture:

Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Red rimmed eyes

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:29 am

The red substance is called porphyrin and that is the normal color of their tears. Basically she just has watery eyes, it doesn't mean she's sick. She actually looks really healthy, her fur looks nice, she is a healthy weight and I don't see any swelling around the eyes. It could just be that her eyes are irritated from dirty bedding... which I'm sure with that many babies in the nest, there is no shortage of dirty bedding! If her eyes aren't swollen and she is otherwise fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you need to take her to the vet. You can try replacing the bedding in the nest a couple times a week to keep things clean. And you could also try flushing her eyes with saline twice a day for a few days to see if that helps. But to me, it just looks like they are a little irritated.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Red rimmed eyes

Post by River on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm with scaredy on this - I don't think it looks bad at all, and it definitely doesn't seem to be causing her any pain. Looks healthy!

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top