What are the signs of bonding/acceptance?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: What are the signs of bonding/acceptance?

Post by AnonONIagent on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 2:52 pm

It's normal for the mice you already have to "harass" a new mouse by sniffing them a lot. Sally did this to Sarah when I introduced them. The new mouse will probably not enjoy this, as they're already overwhelmed by being in a new environment. However, after a while they should get used to the new mouse and stop sniffing them so much, and things will smooth out after this.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:04 pm

Oh, Pearl, could I get a link to the exact Ivermectin I should use? My mice have never been treated as they've never shown signs of having mites, but I suppose I should treat all my girls anyways now.
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm

I agree that unless a vet has told you not to quarantine for the whole 3 weeks for specific reasons - such as they did with my girls - then you should always quarantine for up to three weeks. However, it's fine if you didn't know. Personally I think quarantining them for any longer is pointless by now. Anything she had has already been introduced, like Cinna already said.

For everyone asking about Ivermetcin, people use Durvet and Ivomec since Iver-on is no longer being sold. I got this; http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-pour-on-250-ml?cm_vc=-10005  which you can also find in a little blue bottle on amazon here. https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Ivermectin-Ermectin-Pour-Cattle/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1467924118&sr=1-2&keywords=durvet+ivermectin
If this isn't a possibility, you can probably find it at your local cattle store or feed store. Some pet shops in the UK stock it, apparently, but being American, I wouldn't know which ones.

Bonding an acceptance, I'd say are usually grooming, sleeping together all snuggled up and...well, I guess that's really all I can think of.

Remembering Maier & Garcia
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:54 pm

If you're UK based, AnonONIagent, then I was recommended by the vets to use this when Colin had lice:
https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/small-pets/fleas-lice-and-mites/spot-on-treatments/xeno-50-mini

It comes in little pipettes and you just drop the right number of drops onto the back of neck and spine (it has a helpful chart based on the weight of the animal - I think its 3 drops for mice under 50g, but I forget - definitely read what it says and don't take my word for it).

A word of warning, it can be hard to get the right number of drops on a moving mouse...bribery with treats and/or cheek rubs or stroking works wonders!

Edit to add: sorry AnonONIagent...I failed to read your location in the profile bit by the side before I posted! But it could be useful to someone anyway!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 3:59 pm

Gabbi, I already commented about quarantine... please scroll back and read it.

Also, mice squint their eyes when them don't like something.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 4:10 pm

But whats the point of continuing quarantine when they have already met?

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

I would like Abeona's opinion on this as well!

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 5:01 pm

The point of continuing the quarantine would be that you can have more one-on-one time with your new pet, and it also helps to make sure that your rodent isn't pregnant. It also benefits you in the way that Ivory could be hiding their testicles due to the stress, so waiting the rest of the quarantine would help you be certain you haven't misgendered her.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

Should I sex Ivory then?

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

I'd say yes - it never hurts to double check!

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 5:43 pm

I'd continue quarantine, too. It's not pointless. I once had a girl who made it through quarantine, and then when I tried to introduce her to my two girls, she started clicking. I separated them and she went to the vet for antibiotics, but my other girls never got sick. Thank goodness! Medicating one mouse was enough work.

Potential pregnancy and the chance that she's sick but didn't pass anything to your other girls (yet) aside, introductions can go sooo much smoother and be more likely to work if you introduce tame mice to tame mice. Some special time with Ebony will help you both get to know each other better, you'll have a better understanding of what's normal or not normal for her so you can judge whether something is an issue or not, and when it's time for Ebony to meet some more friends, she won't be so scared because she'll have you by her side. Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm

The only problem is that I am going back home tomorrow and my grandma doesn't have much time.

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 6:07 pm

The mice will stay with your grandmother when you leave??
Is it possible to ask her to keep the girl quarantined for longer? If not, I guess there isn't much you can do about it, but asking won't hurt.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

Scaredy actually brought up a good point. You can continue the quarantine to keep taming Ivory, but once she's tamed up, you may as well introduce even if it hasn't been three weeks. Anything she has has already been transmitted, anyway. 

Definitely get Ivory sexed if you're not 100% sure of her sex. Hopefully she isn't a boy, otherwise one of your girls may have gotten pregnant! Do you wanna post pics of her genitalia before you head home? How long are you gonna be at home before you can see your mice again? If it's only a few days, then it's probably not a big deal.

Squinting usually indicates dislike or distaste in mice. Mabel squints at me when she's doing her death glare thing. And Henry sometimes squints at my hand when it's in his tank, because he's new.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 7:20 pm

I actually won't be back until Christmas Crying or Very sad I will try to get a photo of her from underneath, its very hard though. I already tried to sex her earlier but Im just not sure.

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum