I may have a pregnant mouse, what do i do?

Go down

I may have a pregnant mouse, what do i do? Empty I may have a pregnant mouse, what do i do?

Post by lizbeth.0319 on Tue 19 May 2020, 9:18 pm

Almost 3 weeks ago I got 2 mice thinking they were female (They were 3 and a half weeks at the time), however, exactly a week after getting them I realised one was actually a boy. I separated them as soon as I realised, but it is possible the girl is pregnant. I have heard of some mice getting pregnant as young as 3 weeks old, and when I separated her from the male she was almost 5 weeks.

I did get another female and i've had her for not even a week. They get on really well, and there has been no fights (She is 4-5 weeks old). If my other mouse is pregnant, should I separate her from the other girl? And when should I do this since i'm not even sure if she is pregnant or not? She doesn't really look pregnant, but I know some mice don't show at all, or only show a couple of days before birth.

Is there any behaviours that may give me a clue if she is pregnant?
lizbeth.0319
lizbeth.0319

Back to top Go down

I may have a pregnant mouse, what do i do? Empty Re: I may have a pregnant mouse, what do i do?

Post by Robin~ on Wed 20 May 2020, 9:28 pm

I'm sorry I don't have much knowledge on this topic but this is our forum's pregnancy care guide.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

I believe it's generally recommended to separate any of the females out so they don't interfere with the pregnancy.

As for behaviors, some moms will become obsessive nest builders, but I have mice who are just like that naturally and it's not a sign of them being pregnant. I'm unsure if this is a thing with mice, but for hamsters, their nipples will pucker up a bit to prepare for lactation.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down