Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here!

Go down

New here! Empty New here!

Post by Bean's Dad on Thu 04 Jun 2020, 3:03 pm

Hi all,
My wife and I found a baby Mouse in our Horse barn trying to nurse on it's dead mother. This actually happened about 6 1/2 wks ago but Bean is doing well although I am worried he is miserable and lonely. Bean is also blind. The vet said it is a corneal virus and we currently have Bean on pain medication, ab's and a topical ab cream for his eyes. He has been on these meds for 1 week.

His diet is some esbilac (we add a little heavy cream) and oxbow young rat/mice pellets. We also give him unsalted sunflower seeds, walnuts and various fruits and veggies for treats. Some of his favorites are broccoli, strawberries, banana, apples and grapes. He weighed 44 g. at the vet.

Our intent was to raise and release Bean but he escaped from his original house and when I found him 3 days later he was blind and scared. We took him to a vet last Wednesday and she wants to see him again next Wed. to see if the meds are helping. We have raised and released dozens of abandoned squirrels but never a rat or mouse. He has become quite a handful as he has grown and I am trying to find ways to give him a better life while we wait to see if his vision issues resolve. He is quite active at night but has become scared and a bit aggressive towards me when I have to give him his meds. He used to welcome my company but I seem to stress him out now.

I can't post any pics now as I am at work (slow day) but will try to later. I am looking for any suggestions and am mainly worried that he will be miserable if he ends up being non-releasable. Just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has ideas for raising a blind mouse.
Thanks in advance!

Bean's Dad

L0rd-sesshomaru, SarahAdams, blackvelvetymouse and MeanMurine like this post

Back to top Go down

New here! Empty Re: New here!

Post by chiroptera on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 11:01 pm

Hello, and welcome to PMF!

Something worth noting is that mice actually rely very little on their eyesight. They use scent and hearing to navigate the world much more than use their eyes. So him being blind honestly might not set him back too much!

It's so sweet of you to take care of little Bean! Whatever you decide to do, I hope things go well for you and him! Smile

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

New here! Empty Re: New here!

Post by blackvelvetymouse on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 12:28 pm

Hi, any news on Bean? 😊

blackvelvetymouse

Back to top Go down