Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PLEASE HELP! New mouse owner and they're fighting

Go down

PLEASE HELP!  New mouse owner and they're fighting Empty PLEASE HELP! New mouse owner and they're fighting

Post by dancincat417 on Mon 08 Jun 2020, 1:24 pm

Hi everyone!

We have never had mice, but we've always had rats and hamsters.  We fell in love with and brought home 2 mice brothers 2 days ago.  They're about 3 months old, and one of them seems like he may have issues seeing (his eyes are almost always squinted or closed, no discharge or anything).  They seem healthy though, but the one with the squinty eyes kept attacking his brother on his back, sometimes drawing blood.  They seemed very attached to each other at first, the squinty eyed one always going to his brother for reassurance after exploring their new home a bit, so I'm confused.  I separated them for now, but I don't know what to do.  Could they just be stressed being in a new home?  Is there any chance of reuniting them?  I really hope they can end up getting along.  The squinty eyed one is in a small animal carrier right now, and his brother is in a tank.  Is there some kind of divider for the tank, or a cage where they can be separated but still smell each other and maybe be reunited?  I'm also afraid of putting them in a cage where they could possibly sneak through the bars too.  Please help!  If I have to get a new cage for one or both, I'd like to do it asap.  Thank you for your help in advance!

Last edited by dancincat417 on Mon 08 Jun 2020, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

dancincat417

Back to top Go down

PLEASE HELP!  New mouse owner and they're fighting Empty Re: PLEASE HELP! New mouse owner and they're fighting

Post by Robin~ on Mon 08 Jun 2020, 1:27 pm

Hello!

Unfortunately, unlike female mice, male mice rarely get along. It's best to keep them permanently separated. However, feel free to keep the cages close to each other for a bit of distanced company.

Barred cages are fine provided the bar spacing is less than 3/8". You can always mesh over the cage with 1/4" hardware cloth to be safe. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

PLEASE HELP!  New mouse owner and they're fighting Empty Re: PLEASE HELP! New mouse owner and they're fighting

Post by dancincat417 on Mon 08 Jun 2020, 3:55 pm

Ok Crying or Very sad What kind of habitat would you recommend the most?  Any specific type of cage, or a tank?

dancincat417

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Mon 08 Jun 2020, 8:49 pm

@dancincat417 wrote:Ok  Crying or Very sad  What kind of habitat would you recommend the most?  Any specific type of cage, or a tank?

Generally, barred cages are better since the air flow is better, which can help prevent URIs (which can be extremely common with mice). They're also better for hanging hanging toys. Tanks can work, but they don't have as good of air flow, which can lead to their smell building up easier. They can still work, though, and look much nicer. It all depends on what you want to provide.

If you're in the States, the Prevue 528 is a great cage. Pricey, sure, but well worth it for a large, well-ventilated cage. You can also mesh over a rabbit/guinea pig cage, but be sure to trim off any sharp bits. Bins can also work perfectly; just be sure to mesh out all sides plus the lid, leaving a 6" unmeshed space at the bottom for bedding. I personally have a 200qt bin from Walmart and it's a great size for mice.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by dancincat417 on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

So it seems a bin cage would be the most ventilated if you mesh out all the sides? That wouldn't make it flimsy? I found this cage that has 1/4" bar spacing, I'll attach the link below, but it seems it would be even less ventilated than a tank... ?? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0133LNVAS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

dancincat417

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 3:28 pm

I’d say a meshed bin is on par with most barred cages in terms of airflow. Provided you keep some sort of frame structure in place from the bin (ie cut a large rectangle into each side, but leave some plastic on the corners/top/bottom for structure), the mesh should stay in place pretty well.

The linked cage probably has more airflow than a tank, mainly because some of the sides are barred, too. However, that cage also has some other problems, like a wheel that’s too small (generally over 8” is recommended).

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by dancincat417 on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 4:38 pm

Ok thank you so much for your input and advice! We do have bigger wheels for them but I doubt they'd fit well in that cage. We are going to try the bin cages for them. I definitely won't cut too much of the bin that way it still has good structure. Thank you again!

dancincat417

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugz Kuddles on Tue 09 Jun 2020, 5:24 pm

If you’re looking for good mouse cages I would recommend this video, it explains pros and cons of various cages.

Bear in mind some might be too large for a single male mouse. I hope this helps.  Smile

https://youtu.be/NrADLJNjfHc
Hugz Kuddles
Hugz Kuddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Wed 10 Jun 2020, 4:30 pm

@Hugz Kuddles wrote:
Bear in mind some might be too large for a single male mouse. I hope this helps.  Smile

As far as I'm aware you can never go too big for a mouse provided the entire cage is full of toys. The main issue with going large typically stems from a lack of toys to fill the space. Laughing

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugz Kuddles on Thu 11 Jun 2020, 3:29 am

Sorry, I should have worded it differently.

I meant that it might be difficult to make some of the cages crowded enough.

Hugz Kuddles
Hugz Kuddles

Back to top Go down

Post by dancincat417 on Mon 15 Jun 2020, 2:00 pm

Ok thank you both! We made a bin cage for our mouse that was in a carrier temporarily. My only question (I think) is what can you do to cover the sharp edges of the mesh that's inside the bin (I don't want him getting hurt if he climbs up there), and what can be used on top of the bin to cover the sharp parts of the zip ties after they're cut? Our other mouse is still in a tank for now. We purchased many toys and things to keep them both busy. Oh! Another question is, if we want to make our own toys or mouse houses, is there a type of glue that's non-toxic that we can use? Thank you in advance!

dancincat417

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Mon 15 Jun 2020, 3:38 pm

@dancincat417 wrote:Ok thank you both!  We made a bin cage for our mouse that was in a carrier temporarily.  My only question (I think) is what can you do to cover the sharp edges of the mesh that's inside the bin (I don't want him getting hurt if he climbs up there), and what can be used on top of the bin to cover the sharp parts of the zip ties after they're cut?  Our other mouse is still in a tank for now.  We purchased many toys and things to keep them both busy.  Oh!  Another question is, if we want to make our own toys or mouse houses, is there a type of glue that's non-toxic that we can use?  Thank you in advance!

For the inside, you could use hot glue. I personally haven't tried any other methods. For the outside, duct tape works.

Any glue that labels itself as non-toxic should work. So, Elmer's school glue, non-toxic hot glue, etc.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by dancincat417 on Tue 16 Jun 2020, 12:18 am

Alright. Thank you! Just wanted to double check about the glue.

dancincat417

Back to top Go down