Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What mice colors should I start with to get lilac?

Go down

What mice colors should I start with to get lilac? Empty What mice colors should I start with to get lilac?

Post by plant16649 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:02 am

Hey there,

tldr; what mice do I breed to get coffee/lilac/beige mice?

Sometime (quite a while) in the future I'm thinking about breeding mice - the thing is, there's not really any mouse breeders in my area (and we don't have pet shops selling mice - not that I'd buy pet shop mice, I just mean there's no mice around me!)

So basically, I'd like to start breeding mice and producing chocolate/colorpoint being/lilac/coffee/bone mice, usually around the aa bb geneotype. I've been doing my research again but I haven't done biology since highschool haha, so I need a bit of help with what mice to breed to produce these offspring, mostly because I don't have a huge amount of options.

Obviously I won't know that exact traits each parent carries but again, limited options. I've got a fair few of the common rex/tan mice (usually brown with the white/orange belly and a head spot) and lots of broken marked mice in my area but basically I don't want to get anything with super dominant traits that will take over the whole litter.

Obviously this is going to be a fair bit of experimentation and I'm a bit out with my terminology and whatnot but I'm sure you get the picture - I'm currently working on it. Basically, any suggestions for what mice to breed (or what to avoid) if I'm aiming for coffee/mock chocolate/lilac mice?

This is mostly what I've been using for reference. http://zenmousery.com.au/genetics/

plant16649

Back to top Go down

What mice colors should I start with to get lilac? Empty Re: What mice colors should I start with to get lilac?

Post by Robin~ on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 7:27 am

From the reasons you appear to want to breed, I would not breed mice at all. You should not be breeding mice just to get a certain color; the focus should always be on bettering the species as a whole, pairing only mice that have favorable temperaments and no/few health conditions. Color should basically be a nice bonus.

If you were to start breeding mice, I’d start by shadowing/having a chat with an ethical mouse breeder. They’ll be able to show you what to do and answer questions better than anyone. Then, source your mice from that breeder or another ethical breeder so you know the mice you’re getting already have great health/temperament. This will prevent having to cut off a line you realize was faulty to begin with (ex, tumors are extremely present in the line). Lastly, you’d need some sort of back-up plan in case no one wants your mice. Would you be able to fully care for and commit to +30 mice? Having a quartet, from my experience, was expensive and super time consuming; will you be able to cope with seven times that, possibly more?

Becoming a breeder is a huge responsibility. You’re in charge of ensuring the pups you produce will live long, healthy, happy lives, and when to say no and cut off a line. You may have to wake up every two hours to feed a runt, taking time off work. You’ll have to dump thousands of dollars into a project you won’t get a return on investment on. If you’re still willing to do this to better the species, though, as I said, have a chat with a breeder and really delve into what it entails. But, if you’re just in it to create rare colors, breeding really isn’t for you from an ethical standpoint.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

What mice colors should I start with to get lilac? Empty Re: What mice colors should I start with to get lilac?

Post by plant16649 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:31 pm

I totally get from rereading my post that it sounds a bit like I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm still in the research phase and probably will be for a long time.

The point I was trying to make really is that there isn't really such a thing as ethical breeders in my area - there's not really any breeders in my area! I'd like to start breeding mice for the reasons you said above - to better the lines and provide a source for ethical, healthy pets that aren't just from back yard breeders or pet shops with myriads of health issues.

It's not something I'm likely to start off doing for a few years, I just was curious really what parents breed to lilac and if there are any mice with dominant traits that will compromise a litter, aesthetically or health wise.

Thanks for your advice though, I get that you probably have a lot of people come through here who breed without a second thought!

plant16649

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down