Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I keep Mice outside?

Go down

Can I keep Mice outside? Empty Can I keep Mice outside?

Post by plant16649 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:37 am

I'm less keen on this idea as I previously was, but basically I was wondering if I could keep mice outside undercover (or in a greenhouse if it's cool enough) in a cage similar to a rabbit hutch or chicken coop.

I see quite a lot of outside exhibits for spiny mice/harvest mice/zebra mice outside at zoos, kind of like this: https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/harvest-mouse-exhibit-280418.395909/

I was wondering if the same can be done with fancy mice? Basically, if they get to be outside, it means I'll have more room to give them a better cage, plus I kind of like the natural set ups. I've read lots of people keep there's in sheds.

The only thing I would worry about is the heat of the green house, but I read that mice like warmer temps of up to thirty degrees and mine would never be that hot even in a heat wave, we seem to sit around the 15 - 25 mark.

Thoughts?

plant16649

Back to top Go down

Can I keep Mice outside? Empty Re: Can I keep Mice outside?

Post by Robin~ on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 7:10 am

Hello!

Personally, I wouldn’t. Unlike larger animals like guinea pigs and rabbits, mice can’t tolerate cold/hot conditions at all. Anywhere outside of 15-27C can put them at risk of heat stroke, hypothermia, URIs, and pneumonia. They must stay in a temperature-controlled room; they aren’t like wild mice that can adapt to temperatures easily. If you are unable to fit a 50x25cm cage (the bare minimum for a single male or two females) in your house, perhaps mice aren’t right for you.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Can I keep Mice outside? Empty Re: Can I keep Mice outside?

Post by plant16649 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm

@Robin~ wrote:Hello!

Personally, I wouldn’t. Unlike larger animals like guinea pigs and rabbits, mice can’t tolerate cold/hot conditions at all. Anywhere outside of 15-27C can put them at risk of heat stroke, hypothermia, URIs, and pneumonia. They must stay in a temperature-controlled room; they aren’t like wild mice that can adapt to temperatures easily. If you are unable to fit a 50x25cm cage (the bare minimum for a single male or two females) in your house, perhaps mice aren’t right for you.

Thanks - that's what I thought, basically. I've got a pretty huge diaplay cabinet/tank set up - I'm just in the middle of trying to figure out where to put everything (and obviously outside equals more space... which equals more mice!)

I'll keep them inside for now anyways as I like having them near by.

plant16649

Back to top Go down