Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is cork safe?

Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Why is cork safe?

Post by SilverGravity on Tue 21 Jul 2020, 1:44 am

Hey everyone! Just curious on why cork is considered safe for rodents while any wood from oak trees are considered unsafe? I know why the oak is considered unsafe, but not why cork is safe since cork is from a species of oak tree. Not questioning its safety, my girls love their cork log and I’ve seen plenty of other rodent cages with them but I’m definitely curious if anyone knows why cork oak is safe but other oaks aren’t. Thanks for any insight!

SilverGravity
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-07-14
Posts : 5
Likes : 0


Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by Robin~ on Tue 21 Jul 2020, 8:44 am

As far as I’m aware oak is completely safe for mice. Smile

_________________
Mice: Raven and Moo
Other: Hermes (robo hamster), Prism (betta), Max (dog--profile pic)
Rainbow Kids: Pepper, Nugget, Dove, Artemis (hamsters), Leaf, and Oak (mice)

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2019-06-05
Posts : 390
Likes : 155

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by SilverGravity on Tue 21 Jul 2020, 10:23 am

Oh that’s interesting! I’ve been going off of this link: https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-and-toxic-woods-for-rats-1238293 which actually lists both oak and cork as unsafe though everyone uses cork :0

SilverGravity
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-07-14
Posts : 5
Likes : 0


Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by Robin~ on Thu 23 Jul 2020, 7:18 pm

@SilverGravity wrote:Oh that’s interesting! I’ve been going off of this link: https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-and-toxic-woods-for-rats-1238293 which actually lists both oak and cork as unsafe though everyone uses cork :0

Wow that list is jacked up. They listen aspen as unsafe for some reason. Aspen. They list it as safe in other articles too when talking about bedding.

I've seen some of their other articles and they're not the greatest-- I'm primarily a hamster person, and I saw they recommended a 24x12" cage for a hamster, which is half the bare minimum. Definitely not a reliable source of info.

_________________
Mice: Raven and Moo
Other: Hermes (robo hamster), Prism (betta), Max (dog--profile pic)
Rainbow Kids: Pepper, Nugget, Dove, Artemis (hamsters), Leaf, and Oak (mice)

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2019-06-05
Posts : 390
Likes : 155

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by SilverGravity on Fri 24 Jul 2020, 3:58 pm

@Robin~ wrote:
@SilverGravity wrote:Oh that’s interesting! I’ve been going off of this link: https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-and-toxic-woods-for-rats-1238293 which actually lists both oak and cork as unsafe though everyone uses cork :0

Wow that list is jacked up. They listen aspen as unsafe for some reason. Aspen. They list it as safe in other articles too when talking about bedding.

I've seen some of their other articles and they're not the greatest-- I'm primarily a hamster person, and I saw they recommended a 24x12" cage for a hamster, which is half the bare minimum. Definitely not a reliable source of info.

Oh wow good to know that’s not a good article. And that’s nowhere near the right for a hamster! Do you happen to know of a good list of safe/unsafe woods?

SilverGravity
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-07-14
Posts : 5
Likes : 0


Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by Robin~ on Fri 24 Jul 2020, 6:55 pm

@SilverGravity wrote:
Oh wow good to know that’s not a good article. And that’s nowhere near the right for a hamster! Do you happen to know of a good list of safe/unsafe woods?

I use this article from a hamster forum: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/153237-safeunsafe-woods/#entry1598962

_________________
Mice: Raven and Moo
Other: Hermes (robo hamster), Prism (betta), Max (dog--profile pic)
Rainbow Kids: Pepper, Nugget, Dove, Artemis (hamsters), Leaf, and Oak (mice)

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2019-06-05
Posts : 390
Likes : 155

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by SilverGravity on Sun 02 Aug 2020, 11:13 am


Great, thanks so much! That definitely has some differences from the one I was using. I’m glad to have a better reference list now!

SilverGravity
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-07-14
Posts : 5
Likes : 0


Back to top Go down

Why is cork safe?  Empty Re: Why is cork safe?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum