Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Northumberland

Go down

Hello from Northumberland Empty Hello from Northumberland

Post by JohnGraham1961 on Sat 25 Jul 2020, 7:03 pm

Hi i am new to keeping groups of mice. I had pet mice as a kid but i have suddenly inherited 10 mice. Some are satins, some normal, some are i believe Rex and some Fuzzy mice.
I didnt intend to get mice as i keep snakes and only feed defrosted . I recently took on 5 snakes that the owner could no longer keep and when i went to collect them he had live mice that came as part of the package. Thinking
THESE WILL NOT BE FED to my snakes , I just couldn't do it , i may sound stupid but frozen mice is one thing live mice to me are pets 🙄
Managed to sex them and there is 8 females and 2 males. Now split into same sex tanks.
I am well aware i could potential be 8 pregnant females and i will deal with that if it happens
My question is if the males are rex the females are rex, satins, normal and fuzzy what are they likely to produce so i can hopefully get homes lined up in advance

JohnGraham1961

Back to top Go down

Hello from Northumberland Empty Re: Hello from Northumberland

Post by Robin~ on Sat 25 Jul 2020, 8:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! Smile

I totally understand the moral dilemma-- I don't own reptiles (yet), but I could never just watch a mouse die like that. Besides, there are some actual risks with feeding live like the mice biting back and giving your snake an infected wound. Anyways, it's great that you're open to giving them all great homes!

I have no experience in genetics whatsoever so I can't comment on what your mice could produce, but I wish you luck! We have a great article on mouse pregnancies in our genetic/reproductive care subforum. Smile

Hope to see you around!

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Sat 25 Jul 2020, 9:47 pm

It's good of you to not feed them live - not only is it incredibly inhumane for the mice, it's not safe for the snakes either. It baffles me how many reptile owners, supposed animal lovers, insist on feeding live to their snakes... But that's beside the point.

I can't help you in the genetics department as I don't breed, but if you're looking to rehome the critters, perhaps look for a local rat and mouse group on Facebook? They may be able to help you find some homes for some of them!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvelvetymouse on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 12:25 pm

Hi John, interesting to see that you’re from Northumberland as I’m thinking there are folk on here worldwide. I’ve just ‘inherited’ 10 Mice, I’ve never had them before, and they’re all males, brothers! It’s an interesting experience!
How are you getting on with all yours?
Are you North or south Northumberland? 🤓

blackvelvetymouse

Back to top Go down