Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to care for baby mice

Go down

How to care for baby mice Empty How to care for baby mice

Post by Baby mice on Sun 02 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

I found two baby mice in my back yard. The day before that we found a adult one dead. I think that it was the mother that we found dead. We put the babies under a big umbrella and put them under a tree. How do I feed them. They have furr and there eyes are closed.

Baby mice

Back to top Go down

How to care for baby mice Empty Re: How to care for baby mice

Post by maple_woods on Fri 07 Aug 2020, 6:01 pm

I know it has been 5 days, if you were able to keep the mice alive, you probably figured out how to feed them.

here is a resource with more info.

https://www.afrma.org/orphanrm.htm

How to care depends on their age, but generally for 0-2 week old mice,

keep them warm, feed every two hours, and stimulate them to go to the bathroom.
Use slightly warm goats milk or Kitten milk replacer mixed with 2x the recommended water.

I would recommend trying to find a foster mouse mother ASAP (rats can work too but are more risky). Post on craigslist under pets, and check often for replies (ask them to include a phone number for quick contact).
People who breed feeder mice for reptiles are likely willing to help, as they often have nursing mothers. You may also be able to buy a nursing female from a pet store, call and ask. Animal rescues, specifically small animal rescues, may take them in, but it is rare to find ones willing to accept orphan wild mice. Or even local people (found on craigslist) may have experience hand raising mice, it would be best to get it to someone with experience imo, as it is very difficult to feed them.

I hope you did not have to experience the mice passing away, no one deserves that. I know it is very sad for caring people, but it does happen in nature.

maple_woods

Back to top Go down

Post by maple_woods on Fri 07 Aug 2020, 6:17 pm

I forgot to mention if they have fur but eyes are still closed, they are probably at least a week old, but less than 2 weeks, when their eyes open.

also there is this resource here:

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

also wanted to note the KMR is probably better than goat milk. we tried to raise some with goat milk and it irritated their stomachs and they didn't gain weight well, but we were able to keep them alive for 6 days on our own. Luckily we got them to an animal rescue who had a nursing rat and could do additional hand feedings, but one passed away before we could get them there because it was refusing to eat, and couldn't get enough nutrients from the goats milk mixed with pedialyte we were giving it, since it wouldn't drink the full goat milk.

maple_woods

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down