Wild Mouse/Mice care and information

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wyoming baby mice

Post by Dewdickson.jill53@gmail.c on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:57 am

I'm not sure what to do about releasing two babies here in Wyoming. I found 3 babies wandering in my kitchen with no sign of their mother. (One unfortunatley died) I have a cat and a dog so I had to lift them. We have since found the mother (we think ) dead. Sad I have been feeding the wee ones every two then three and now four hours. I have had them about a week. I keep them cosy. They have opened their eyes now and always had fur. I am having difficaulty sexing them. My question is there is a foot of snow outside and another forecast this weekend. The weather may not be great here until May. What can I do? They will be long past 5 weeks old by then. Have you any tips as to how to find their sex also? They seem to be doing well, touch wood. I do want to release them as soon as I can safely. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Dewdickson.jill53@gmail.c

Back to top Go down

Re: Wild Mouse/Mice care and information

Post by Blessed on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:33 pm

Aww, that is kind of you to rescue them. <3
Here is a link from here on sexing mice, and it has pictures of comparison of the babies at different days-old: Smile
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t45-sexing-mice
But I'd definitely wait, as it sounds like you're ready to do, until the snow melts. If there's a warm day--even in the forties--and you know of an abandoned building somewhere, possibly try setting them free in there? Or do you have family willing to take them temporarily until they can go back out into the wild? Don't know your options, but I hope you find one that works good for you as well as the mice. =)

Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Saved Pregnant House Mouse from my cat's mouth...now what...?

Post by HarleyB on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 2:51 pm

Hi!

I live in NYC and saved a little house mouse from my cat's mouth. I've kept it cozy in a towel and given it food and water for the past couple days until I decided what to do and where to release it so it had the best chance of surviving, which sadly isn't high for a mouse in the city. Although the mouse is clearly still scared it has let me pick it up a few times. I checked on it this morning and to my surprise saw two babies, one dead and one alive. I ran out and bought a small temporary tank for them making sure not to actually touch the baby when I moved them into it.

I'm hoping the mother does her thing and doesn't kill this one due to stress which I know can happen sometimes and may be why the other is dead. But how do I know when I need to step in and care for the baby? I don't want to keep disturbing them but how do I know if the mother is caring for it? How long should I wait to step in? I know babies need to be fed every 2-3 hours. I know there will usually be a "milk belly" if it's being fed but again I don't want to keep looking in and stressing them out even more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

HarleyB

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 01 May 2018, 10:58 am

I'm not very experienced in taking care of wild mousies, and not at all experienced with new babies, but I try to keep up with what you're supposed to do so I won't ever be caught unprepared again.  It sounds as though you are learning on the fly here and just need some reassurance that you're doing right, and since there hasn't been a response posted yet to do that for you I'll take a little break between work projects and type something up fast.

I hope Mumma Mouse and Baby are still doing OK with you.

First, I understand your worry, but the best thing you can do is let Mumma handle things in the nursery.  You can contribute by making sure she has a warm (but not hot) enclosure with a nesting box and plenty of nesting material, clean water, and mouse-appropriate food.  For the first three or four days after the birthing event, you shouldn't even have to worry about cleaning the mousehouse.  Mumma Mouse may be quite traumatized after her cat-mouth experience, and then finding herself in unfamiliar surroundings -- and with babies! -- so letting her have quiet time with easy access to food and water is probably something like going to the spa for her in comparison to the usual daily dangers and discomforts she faces.  It would be very difficult for you to provide better care than Mumma, so as long as she is there and apparently spending good time in with the baby, trust nature for now.

This part is just for future reference, so don't disturb the existing nest.  One way that you can check on baby mice without reaching into the nest and digging around is to provide a nesting box that has a side door for mousies and a lift-off lid for you.  Then you can peek in to take a quick welfare survey, preferably with low ambient lighting so Mumma Mouse doesn't all of a sudden find herself in the glare when you lift the lid, but the nest structure will be minimally disturbed by your peeking.

Finally, be sure to use the information available in the Breeding Packet "sticky" under the "Genetics & Reproductive Care" category on this site, as well as other resources here regarding nutrition and taking care of a wild mouse.

And GOOD LUCK to you and your new little friends.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SAVED PREGNANT HOUSE MOUSE FROM MY CAT'S MOUTH...NOW WHAT...?

Post by HarleyB on Tue 01 May 2018, 4:06 pm

Hi!

Just a quick update on Mama and Baby. I got a little temporary little tank for them so they are more enclosed and feel safe, as I initially had the Mama in my bathtub with a towel and the glass doors closed. I cut pieces of the towel that she gave birth on and put it in the tank with some soft bedding, so the familiar scent is still there. I think she's much cozier now.

My biggest fears were that she'd kill the baby or just neglect it completely due to stress, since she wasn't going near it. I'm happy to say that as of last night, she's made a hidden little nook for herself using the towel and bedding and has finally moved her baby in there with her! I went out and bought some fresh veggies and fruit for her and all seems well now Smile

Thanks again for any and all info given!!

-Harley

HarleyB

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 01 May 2018, 4:54 pm

Very nice. Usually I guess you'd want to offer Mumsie a little egg (both white and yolk) or a piece of your cat's kibble (if applicable), as a supplement to her basic menu of low-sugar whole grains -- but since she is only feeding one hungry little mouselet she probably does not need as much supplemental protein and fat as if she were feeding five or ten.

Which brings us to something else you will need to watch out for. Mumsie only has one baby feeding now, but her body may be geared up and producing enough milk to feed several more. There is a possibility that the milk that isn't flowing out during feeding can create a congested playground for bacteria inside of her, leading to infection and, particularly, to mastitis. It isn't a probability, just a possibility, so make yourself familiar with her sort-of usual behaviors that you can see at this time, and then watch for indications that, in comparison, she is acting lethargic, or looking weary-eyed, or walking tenderly, or scratching a lot (anywhere, not just on her belly), or having difficulty grooming, or taking up sleeping in a strange position or place. This is not intended to scare you -- just making you aware so you can think in advance about what you will be willing to do for her if she needs immediate medical attention for such a systemic infection.

Let's all hope all goes well and smoothly from here on.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blind and deaf mouse

Post by Nyc72 on Wed 23 May 2018, 2:04 pm

Looking for advice. Came across a wood mouse 2 days ago in yard by house. It didnt run off and i picked it up to move it. Once on my glove would not get off, jumped back on clinging to me. Determined to stay on me. Noticed 1 eye looked like missing and he seemed completely blind. No obvious wounds. So I took him in, put in a plastic bin with preferated cover. Gave him water and food - seeds & cereal, dried meal worm. The only way he realized there was water was when i let droplets fall at his feet then he At 1st he looked like he had ocd washing his face and feet. He did weird things that looked like neuro prob.. and i thought perhaps poisoned. He also stayed in one spot for really long times.
He ignored the food but after several hours started nibbling it.
Next day, most food gone and he wasnt acting neurotic. I also think he's deaf no response to any noises even loud ones. Gave him a small box and material for shelter and he evetually found it and used it. He is pooping fine. He seems normal aside from blind and deaf. He doesnt realize you are there until you touch him. Put finger right up to eyes and nothing. This morning his eye i thought was missing is open and looks normal. No reaction still though. I tried to release him figuring he would still want to be released but he clung to my glove again.. i managed to push him off abd as soon as his feet touched ground he jumped back on me. I put my hand inside the containor im keeping him and he jumped back into it. So maybe thinking he could smell it and recognized as his temp home. Am I now the owner of a deaf and blind mouse??? And if so what can I give him to make it more homey for him. I have a tank i can use. I was thinking of staging it like a mini iwoods scene . What about companionship..is that possible with his defects?

Nyc72

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Wed 23 May 2018, 3:01 pm

Just some practical things to consider about keeping a wild mouse ...

Even ones that are hand-raised eventually hear the call of the wild and want to go.  Your little sojourner may be extremely happy to stay with you, in an environment it perceives as safe, until it recovers from a recent trauma-- like maybe it had been caught by and then escaped from a predator before you found it.  But as soon as it gets its mojo back it will want to get going on its own way again.

So don't spend a lot of time, effort, and cash on creating the perfect little habitat for your little friend just yet.  A few basics, like something to hide/sleep in, some bedding stuff to dig in, some cardboard tubes to explore, maybe some wood chew toys, and something to run on should get mousie through the next several days, while you watch for signs of it wanting to get out and get away -- or for signs of settling in for a longer break from the big, scary outdoors!

Keep the mousehouse away from bright lights and loud noises (including sources of electronic noise that YOU might not even hear).  Watch for mouse activity between dusk and dawn.

I can't give you any advice about health hazards a wild mouse might pose, and I do not know if you can even take mousie to a veterinarian where you are, because in some jurisdictions they may refuse to examine wild "pets", or they may even confiscate them.

If mousie is a boy he will have to stay by himself no matter how healthy he is.  If it is a girl, I wouldn't introduce any other girls until the wild one had a clean bill of health.

Please be sure, too, to read the treasure trove of good information at the start of this thread about caring for a wild mouse.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2week old wild one

Post by Medicmom421 on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

This was so helpful for me. I recently found a baby mouse in the middle of my garage out in the open i waited hours for the mother to come back but she didnt and i couldnt just leave it to die. So far its only been 2 days since ives found him and he seems to be doing well and just opened his eyes today. I plan to release him at 5 weeks and the hopes that he can live a good life for however long that may be. We are surrounded by farms and we have alot of mice around so im hoping for successful release

Medicmom421

Back to top Go down

2week old wild one

Post by Medicmom421 on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

This was so helpful for me. I recently found a baby mouse in the middle of my garage out in the open i waited hours for the mother to come back but she didnt and i couldnt just leave it to die. So far its only been 2 days since ives found him and he seems to be doing well and just opened his eyes today. I plan to release him at 5 weeks and the hopes that he can live a good life for however long that may be. We are surrounded by farms and we have alot of mice around so im hoping for successful release

Medicmom421

Back to top Go down

Did I do the right thing?

Post by aquaticko on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:02 pm

So...I'm looking for a bit of consciousness-easing, here.

I went out to bring the trash cans in earlier today, and I saw a little pink speck wiggling on the driveway. At first, I thought it was some kind of worm or something, but on inspection, it was a baby mouse, barely bigger than my fingernail!

Being mid-August, it was fairly hot--85F in the sun, and the poor little thing obviously couldn't move. It had started to curl into the fetal position, so I assumed it was getting ready to die. I tried to gingerly pick it up with a garden trawl, maybe to move it to the grass to be found by its mother again, but it seemed like it was stuck to the pavement. I was very afraid of cutting it and causing it any more suffering than it was already in, but I also knew that it wouldn't survive long on the hot asphalt. So...I did what I hope was the right thing and gave it a whack, strong enough to kill it.

I'm not at all an violent person--I genuinely apologize to spiders when I smoosh them--and I avoid hurting anyone and anything I can, but there was no guarantee the poor little creature wasn't simply going to bake to death under the sun, and I could've very easily grievously injured it just by trying to move it. I still feel very bad about having to put it out of it's misery, and the thought of actually having killed this harmless, pitiable animal makes my heart ache, but I just couldn't let it suffer until the very end.

Did I do the right thing?

aquaticko

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 9:06 am

If it helps at all, a pup abandoned that young —even in the best conditions— has only a very small chance of survival. Sad

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2