Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello!

Go down

Hello!  Empty Hello!

Post by Eli993 on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 2:47 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Eli. I've owned fish, frogs, a cat, budgies (I currently have four of those little guys) and have lived with dogs as well, but this is my first time with mice. I'm super excited, I've had a lot of great experiences with different rodents I'm so excited to experience more with my very own. I currently have two named Purdy and Algernon (my friend named the second one, I don't know where she got that name from) I do have one question though, my budgies are flighted and everyday they were out of their cage during their more active times (usually in the early morning and mid afternoon). Durning their preening/napping times they are closed into their cages so they don't perch on my furniture and poop all over my stuff while they sleep. I know budgies are prey animals and mine pose no threat to the mice, but will them flying/possibly landing beside or on the mouse tank terrify the mice? Will it cause them a lot of stress? I'm super excited to be part of this forum and have already learned so much since becoming a member yesterday
Eli993
Eli993

Back to top Go down

Hello!  Empty Re: Hello!

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 5:12 pm

Either read Flowers For Algernon, or see the movie version, Charly, for which Cliff Robertson won an Academy Award as best actor.

I don't know that it is possible to predict how your mousies will react to any of the other animals in your family, but you might want to take the exposure slowly so you can watch for any anxiety problems.

When I obtained my mousie, April, my intent was to have her mousehouse in my office at work, since I worked excessive hours and was there for most of my time, night and day.  We had an office schnauzer, though, who came in each day with a co-worker.  I was on very good terms with Miss Schnauzer, and most likely carried the dog scent on me or some of my clothing or my purse when I went to the store and met April.  Then we went to the office, which was full of the scent of Miss Schnauzer, which April could no doubt detect, even if I didn't notice.  That was a Sunday.

On Monday, Miss Schnauzer came to work while April was safely in her tank in my office.  When I came in, Miss Schnauzer trotted toward the entrance to loudly bark me her usual overexcited greeting.  Instead, she paused for a moment in obvious silent confusion.  I didn't smell like myself.  I had another smell on me.  But Miss Schnauzer seemed to realize that I was still her friend "me", and that I just had a different smell on me.

Well, because I already smelled of dog, mousie never showed any fear of the dog.  And because I now smelled of mouse, but didn't change in any other important aspect, the dog seemed to just take an "any friend of yours is a friend of mine" attitude.  Once in the same room, some days later, they showed great interest in seeing each other closer up, to see what also smelled like that strange smell on me.  If April was on board while I stopped to give Miss Schnauzer a doggie massage, April would come down the inside of my sleeve and investigate.  Many times they sniffed each other from just inches apart while I watched for any "off" sign of imminent trouble, and Miss Schnauzer never EVER showed any unfriendly behavior.  They remained peaceful and calm "co-workers" until we moved to an office that didn't allow non-humans.

Not that you should expect the same thing to happen for you.  As they say in disclaimers, "Your results may vary.".  You just have to be alert when non-mice are in the room with your new friends, and make sure their mousehouses are extremely secure.  And if your little birds "mess" into the mousehouses, I'd clean it up pretty quick, just in case there are any parasites that can spread into the bedding or otherwise get tracked around where they may end up being ingested.

Now maybe somebody else has some better scientific advice for you.  I just hoped maybe you'd enjoy a "best case scenario" story to start out.

P.S. When another co-worker got a bulldog, I already smelled of mouse, so the bulldog seemed to just accept that I was some kind of person+mouse hybrid and, like Miss Schnauzer, never showed any unfriendly behavior toward April. And April was, by then, very used to hanging around with me and apparently trusted that I would not expose her to danger. The bulldog and the mouse also got along, right up until the office move.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eli993 on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info, and the story, I love reading so I'll have to look into that book.
So far my birds and mice haven't had any incidents or contact. I just got my budgies new toys so they haven't really been interested in much else, but my boldest budgie did fly over the cage this afternoon to scout out the new additions. The mice were snoozing and didn't even seem to notice, so no harm done at all. Your story did reassure me a bit because if a mouse could learn to accept the scent of a dog, I've got high hopes for no problems between my mice and budgies
Eli993
Eli993

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 9:57 pm

Every creature is an individual, but on the whole, mice are prey that regularly gets snatched from above by owls, hawks, and other birds of prey so I would worry seeing wings beating above them might create an instinctive fear in mice.

I have a friend who has a rabbit. I used to take my calm old dog to her house when I visited, but then my friend asked me to leave my dog home because just her scent freaked the bunny out. You never know what the reactions will be!

SarahAdams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum