Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ivory is bleeding?

Go down

Ivory is bleeding? Empty Ivory is bleeding?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

We introduced the girls again in an all new box, it smelled like neither of them. They had some squabbles, but they seemed fine. I then brought them to the new (almost) clean, tank. They fought but it was not too bad, and then I noticed that Ivory seemed to be bleeding on her nose. We took her out and put her in her cage, and I am pretty sure she got a bite or scratch on her nose. What do I do? Its not horrible, but is there anything I need to do to treat it?

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Ivory is bleeding? Empty Re: Ivory is bleeding?

Post by MouseLover on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 1:48 pm

As long as the wound looks clean I would leave it be and keep an eye on it.

What do you mean by almost clean tank? The tank and all the items in it need to be thoroughly cleaned so that it doesn't smell at all of any mouse. If not, a mouse can claim it as their territory, and may become territorial over it and attack any intruding mice.

The introduction steps need to be followed properly - the more failed attempts there are, the more difficult it will be for Freya and Skye to accept Ivory. They now have two bad experiences with her instead of starting at neutral.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:07 pm

What does almost clean mean? 

If there were any lingering scents of any mouse in the tank, then it's likely that Freya or Skye attacked Ivory and drew some blood. Try this again in a completely clean tank, clear of any items except a water bottle and a food bowl. If you can identify who it is that's attacking Ivory, you can separate her out for a few days and then reintroduce her. A time out should clear things up.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:39 pm

I couldn't get the smell out all the way, that may be why. I changed the bedding but it may have still smelled like the girls.

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

You'll need to wash all toys, I use Dawn dish soap for this. Disposable toys made of cardboard or popsicle sticks need to be all new. All new bedding. Wash the water bottle and food dish well too. Before putting these clean/new things in the tank - wash it out with dish soap or diluted vinegar and dry well.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:23 pm

Did you wash out the tank with antibacterial soap and water (or other synonymous cleaners) and give them only new toys?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 5:57 pm

Reading all this makes me realize how careless I was when I introduced Sarah to Sally. As soon as I got home from the pet store with Sarah, I just dabbed some vanilla on their butts, threw them in a cardboard box, then when they seemed to get along I threw them both into Sally's tank. Thankfully, Sally seemed excited to have a new mouse to share her things with. She was not territorial at all. Sally's such a good little mouse.

Now I'm taking all the necessary precautions with Lucy. Lucy's so little; if either Sarah or Sally decided to get aggressive, they could kill her quite quickly, I imagine.
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:46 pm

If Sally had been on her own for a little while, she may have been lonely and thus more willing to accept a new mouse. You were lucky, Sally must be a very nice mouse indeed Wink

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

Sally had actually only been alone for about a day. Sally's such a special little mouse. I'm so glad I saved her from being snake food.
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down