How do you guys do bathtub sessions?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How do you guys do bathtub sessions?

Post by Ealexander on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:53 am

Not every buck sees the need to scent mark all over, sometimes you get lucky and he's content with only marking his tank!
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am

I've never had a buck before, so out of curiosity - when they mark you, is it any different to having a mouse just take a pee on you? Like, is it like they repeatedly do regular pees on you, or is it more like tiny little spots of pee, or what?

Just wondering Laugh

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 am

They mark with very small amounts of musk, which is like super concentrated piddle. So they don't just full on pee on you, but they leave smelly spots here and there. It washes out pretty easily at least!
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:02 am

I'll have to bring a few more toys into the tub. I have a sheet I never, ever use so I imagine I can use that instead of a towel and see how it works out. How about spreading sheets of newspaper over the bathtub to keep their feet warm?
Maier absolutely despises the tub, so since she's already tame, I won't bother with it. She'll just get her own little hoodie. Unfortunately, the only hoodie I don't use is white in color...oh well.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:01 pm

I think when mice are skittish in tubs it is usually cuz they feel less secure in big empty spaces, so try and cram it full of toys and places to hide.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:42 pm

I let my mice play on my desk, but when my desk is empty, they all hide behind my picture frame. So I just put a few stuffed animals on the desk, and it makes them more comfortable and gives them places to explore. I usually have a mesh wheel I let them play with too, but it's in Henry's room right now.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Newspaper stains most tubs. The glossy junk mail ads do not. They are what I use to turn my tub into the mouse playground. The ads may NOT be non-toxic like regular newspaper is, but as long as the mice don't consume large amounts, they are safe enough. I've found them to be the perfect solution since cleanup consists of  'throw away and replace.' There is no laundry to wash.

I don't sit in the tub with any of my mice, but I do use it as their play space:  I line the tub with papers and then set up the toys that belong to each mousehold. I use boxes, tubes, plastic sandcastles, metal mesh office accessories, etc. Each lone buck or group of does gets about 45 minutes in the playground most nights. They are BONKERS with energy- running, climbing, jumping, pushing the toys all over.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:24 am

Mousehold Shocked what a great word!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

After a few tries, I quite the bathtub training. And to be honest, I don't have a playpen for him either. I usually just let him out while I'm spot-cleaning or something. Here lately I've been putting him on my bed and I'll sit with him. It's a top bunk bed, so I watch very carefully, but he loves exploring it! The only problem is when he poops Razz
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 am

My previous bucks loved to play on my desk, it was fun to climb around on the keyboard and speakers I guess and I'd set up the wheel for them to run on if they got bored with exploring. My first mouse was super into attacking the pc mouse for some reason. My current buck won't even consider the desk. He sniffs it, looks back at me, then scampers back to my shoulder. So for him I have a lightweight hoodie that I put on and let him clamber around in while I watch a video or something. I'll pass a cheerio in to the hood at some point. Be aware that you end up with cheerio dust on your shirt if you do this with your mice! I'm lucky that Eddie doesn't typically scent mark me during hoodie sessions, just need to spot check for poops in a mirror when we get done.
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

I wonder how an untamed mouse would react on a table? I can let Maier onto it with no worried but Graham is still very shy.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am

I'd be careful with a table, make sure there's plenty of stuff he can hide under on it and make sure there's no way he can fall off the edge. My desk is in a corner of the room so three sides are blocked by walls or me. Then I piled stuff on the open edge so I can intervene if he heads that way!
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:24 pm

I've let my mice play on tables, and I've never had one jump or walk off the edge. I wouldn't leave them unattended of course, but they're generally smart enough not to do that, and if they have plenty of places to hide they shouldn't be scared enough to want to jump.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Hmm. I'm not sure about tables. If I use them, I'll be blocking off edges in case, to be safe.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top