Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations

Go down

Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations Empty Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations

Post by disastervibe Sat 14 Nov 2020, 4:31 pm

Hi guys, I know that pine shavings are a no-go, but I've heard that pine pellets are okay. Is this true? I'm looking for low-dust, high odor-absorbing, cheap options for the bottom layer of substrate. Right now I'm using paper based bedding (crinkle paper and clean & cozy), but they're very expensive. I have to keep the mice in my bedroom, so I want to minimise odor.

Also, does anyone have a brand they recommend for aspen shavings? That's another option I'm considering, but every brand I find has reviews saying they're very dusty, or have even give their mice mites (can wood shavings really do that?!).

disastervibe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations Empty Re: Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations

Post by Robin~ Sun 15 Nov 2020, 1:44 pm

Yup, pine pellets are great! Horse stall pellets and wood stove pellets are pretty good from what I've heard. As a side, though, adding the "absorbent" bedding to the bottom won't do much since your mice will be urinating on the top layer, not the bottom. Unless you have less than the recommended +4-6" of bedding I suppose.

In terms of non-dusty bedding, paper bedding is pretty much going to be your best bet. I have yet to find a non-dusty aspen bedding.
Have you tried crinkle paper not intended for pets (like from uline)? It's so much cheaper--I got a huge box with like 3-4 cubic ft of compressed crinkle paper for like $30 (which would probably be around 200L or so?).

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations Empty Re: Wood pellet bedding and other recommendations

Post by disastervibe Sun 15 Nov 2020, 4:55 pm

@Robin~ wrote:Yup, pine pellets are great! Horse stall pellets and wood stove pellets are pretty good from what I've heard. As a side, though, adding the "absorbent" bedding to the bottom won't do much since your mice will be urinating on the top layer, not the bottom. Unless you have less than the recommended +4-6" of bedding I suppose.

In terms of non-dusty bedding, paper bedding is pretty much going to be your best bet. I have yet to find a non-dusty aspen bedding.
Have you tried crinkle paper not intended for pets (like from uline)? It's so much cheaper--I got a huge box with like 3-4 cubic ft of compressed crinkle paper for like $30 (which would probably be around 200L or so?).

Ah great! I'll see if I can find the crinkle paper from uline, and I'll give pine pellets a try as well. Thanks for the tip, that's a good point, I'll mix it up with the crinkle paper instead when I give it a go.

disastervibe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down