Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URGENT!

+2
disastervibe
M O U S E
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

URGENT! - Page 2 Empty Re: URGENT!

Post by disastervibe Tue 24 Nov 2020, 5:43 pm

@M O U S E wrote:
@Peachy wrote:Have you considered asking your vet about a video consultation? Email your video and explain your parents’ stance, see what they say? Realistically there’s only so much that can be done without actually seeing her, but maybe they have further advise (or an ophthalmic ointment) to offer.
Evidently, I don't have an exotic vet. I've never had to take an exotic animal of my own to the vet before.

If you can't find any vet specifically listed on Peachy's other reply in your area, try finding your local VCA branch. They're large and extensive enough of an organization, they are likely to have someone who will see rodents. My local branch does, and there aren't even any reputable breeders on this island that I know of.

disastervibe

Taurus

Peachy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 24 Nov 2020, 6:07 pm

About locating a mouse doctor ...

When I needed to choose a pocket pet vet, I started at the 24-hour emergency animal hospital around the corner from where I worked.  I stopped in just to ask if they took mice as emergency patients, and was assured that, yes, indeed they did.  Then the receptionist handed me a sheet of paper with a listing of pocket pet veterinarians in the general area.  I had to eliminate three of them (one had provided a poor diagnosis for our office schnauzer, the second was an affiliate of the first office, and the third no longer had their exotics vet but gave me another list of possible mouse doctors) before I settled on an office with three doctors for little April.

Maybe one of the offices or clinics around you has a similar helpful list.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Tue 24 Nov 2020, 10:41 pm

If you have the money to take her, shame on your parents for deciding that her getting treatment is a waste. If it was a money problem, that would be understandable, but they should be encouraging to use your own money to take proper care of the living being you're responsible for. /grumbles

If you do try Neosporin (or polysporin), be sure that it does not have pain relief, as the pain relief isn't safe for rodents.

For Checkers' eye, we did in fact use polysporin. It didn't save the eye, but it did stop the bleeding and redness and it eventually stopped bothering her.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge. Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Wed 25 Nov 2020, 6:03 am

@chiroptera wrote:If you have the money to take her, shame on your parents for deciding that her getting treatment is a waste. If it was a money problem, that would be understandable, but they should be encouraging to use your own money to take proper care of the living being you're responsible for. /grumbles

If  you do try Neosporin (or polysporin), be sure that it does not have pain relief, as the pain relief isn't safe for rodents.

For Checkers' eye, we did in fact use polysporin. It didn't save the eye, but it did stop the bleeding and redness and it eventually stopped bothering her.

Wait, the sticky in the Health section says the pain relief is okay? Is that outdated info?

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 25 Nov 2020, 6:43 am

@disastervibe wrote:
@M O U S E wrote:
@Peachy wrote:Have you considered asking your vet about a video consultation? Email your video and explain your parents’ stance, see what they say? Realistically there’s only so much that can be done without actually seeing her, but maybe they have further advise (or an ophthalmic ointment) to offer.
Evidently, I don't have an exotic vet. I've never had to take an exotic animal of my own to the vet before.

If you can't find any vet specifically listed on Peachy's other reply in your area, try finding your local VCA branch. They're large and extensive enough of an organization, they are likely to have someone who will see rodents. My local branch does, and there aren't even any reputable breeders on this island that I know of.
Thank you for the advice.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 25 Nov 2020, 6:44 am

@MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:About locating a mouse doctor ...

When I needed to choose a pocket pet vet, I started at the 24-hour emergency animal hospital around the corner from where I worked.  I stopped in just to ask if they took mice as emergency patients, and was assured that, yes, indeed they did.  Then the receptionist handed me a sheet of paper with a listing of pocket pet veterinarians in the general area.  I had to eliminate three of them (one had provided a poor diagnosis for our office schnauzer, the second was an affiliate of the first office, and the third no longer had their exotics vet but gave me another list of possible mouse doctors) before I settled on an office with three doctors for little April.

Maybe one of the offices or clinics around you has a similar helpful list.
Thank you! I'll look up some emergency animal hospitals around here and ask if they happen to take mice or have a list of vets who will.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 25 Nov 2020, 6:46 am

@chiroptera wrote:If you have the money to take her, shame on your parents for deciding that her getting treatment is a waste. If it was a money problem, that would be understandable, but they should be encouraging to use your own money to take proper care of the living being you're responsible for. /grumbles

If  you do try Neosporin (or polysporin), be sure that it does not have pain relief, as the pain relief isn't safe for rodents.

How did you use the polysporin on an eye? I know the saline solution you just have to put a drop in their eye like you would yourself. Like do I glob it on? Then wipe it off? Run some on a cotton ball and wipe her eye?

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 25 Nov 2020, 6:50 am

So here is an update on her health. I bought some saline solution yesterday. When my mice were awake I took Roisin out to give her an eye drop. I saw a little bit of blood after I put the drop in (it's almost like the blood isn't dripping out, but staying in her eye), and I also saw two tiny drops of pus around the corner of her eye. This could be new, or it just could be that this was the first time I've seen it. Sometimes I see her grooming her eye and she has something white near the corner in her eye. I had just assumed this was swollen flesh around her eye or something.

Also, when I apply the saline solution, should I keep her from grooming it off? I'm not sure if when mice rub their face and then rub their hands under their mouth if they are licking off their hands or if they are just rubbing their hands together.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:33 am

I've been brainstorming ...

Does anybody out there know anything about the Vetericyn Plus (R) Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel?  It is safe for all animals, and reviews at vetericyn.com look favorable.

Also, buffing off sharp little claw nails may keep mousie from scratching at the eye and making a bad situation worse.  If possible, provide a rough-ish surface for her to run around on for a while every day or two.  When the weather was warm, I'd let April explore on the sidewalk in the evening.  (She was not an escape threat.)  Otherwise, some rocks or bricks to climb on for play, or some of those sandpaper bird perches/ladders.  You just have to be careful that the skin on the mousie feet doesn't get irritated.  Then after the eye heals, you can relax your pedicure attention.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Wed 25 Nov 2020, 12:57 pm

@MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:I've been brainstorming ...

Does anybody out there know anything about the Vetericyn Plus (R) Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Gel?  It is safe for all animals, and reviews at vetericyn.com look favorable.

Also, buffing off sharp little claw nails may keep mousie from scratching at the eye and making a bad situation worse.  If possible, provide a rough-ish surface for her to run around on for a while every day or two.  When the weather was warm, I'd let April explore on the sidewalk in the evening.  (She was not an escape threat.)  Otherwise, some rocks or bricks to climb on for play, or some of those sandpaper bird perches/ladders.  You just have to be careful that the skin on the mousie feet doesn't get irritated.  Then after the eye heals, you can relax your pedicure attention.
I do have a couple of rocks I could put in there. I actually have a box hanging up filled with rocks in it for them to climb into right now. Thank you for the tip!

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 25 Nov 2020, 1:28 pm

I have used vetericyn drops before, on the same rabbit I mentioned earlier. He has some ongoing eye problems, it does help...never used it on a mouse, though. I heard the gel is fine too. Worth a shot, maybe? That gives you a few options on what to do if this doesn't seem to improve.

Remembering Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

M O U S E likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:25 pm

@M O U S E wrote:
How did you use the polysporin on an eye? I know the saline solution you just have to put a drop in their eye like you would yourself. Like do I glob it on? Then wipe it off? Run some on a cotton ball and wipe her eye?

From start to finish, first we'd get a q-tip damp with just water, and clean off the eye as gently as we could. Then, we'd put some polysporin on the tip of a second q-tip (or just the other end, depending on if we needed to use both ends to clean it up), and gently rub it on her eye. Depending on your mouse, it might be easier to have someone (carefully!) restrain her while another person actually washes the eye / applies the ointment. But if she's calm enough it is doable by only one person.

Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge. Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:36 pm

@disastervibe wrote:
Wait, the sticky in the Health section says the pain relief is okay? Is that outdated info?

Hmm, I've always thought that it's not safe, but it's possible I could be wrong. Personally, I'd rather avoid it to be safe, or maybe check with a vet before using it. But like I said, my info could be incorrect rather than the sticky. Perhaps someone else has some input?

chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 25 Nov 2020, 11:51 pm

The pain relief in Neosporin is an analgesic commonly used in pet products like anti-itch spray, so I’d call it safe. Just don’t overdo it.

But sticky info came directly from the old forum, and I know the admin there always advocated for the version with pain relief... just for the relief of pain part, y’know.
Peachy
Peachy

Classy

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Thu 26 Nov 2020, 6:51 am

@chiroptera wrote:
@M O U S E wrote:

From start to finish, first we'd get a q-tip damp with just water, and clean off the eye as gently as we could. Then, we'd put some polysporin on the tip of a second q-tip (or just the other end, depending on if we needed to use both ends to clean it up), and gently rub it on her eye. Depending on your mouse, it might be easier to have someone (carefully!) restrain her while another person actually washes the eye / applies the ointment. But if she's calm enough it is doable by only one person.  
Thank you!

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next