Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hyienge handling mice

Go down

Hyienge handling mice Empty Hyienge handling mice

Post by the metalhead maniac on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 7:39 pm

so ive been wondering should i wash my hands before handling mice and should i wash them afterward handling? are mice really that unclean to where i have wash my hands after handling?
the metalhead maniac
the metalhead maniac
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwwygnAacm7NCCyi6opSkXw https://www.instagram.com/the.metalhead.maniac/

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hyienge handling mice Empty Re: Hyienge handling mice

Post by chiroptera on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 7:48 pm

It's generally considered good practice to do so before and after handling any animal. That said, I don't - most people don't wash their hands after handling a dog or cat, and mice aren't really any more dirty than they are, really.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge. Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:31 pm

Rodents keep their bodies really clean, cleaner than a dog's body, and probably on par with a cat. The bottoms of those little feet, however... Laughing  I only wash my hands after cleaning their stuff, like those poopy, peepee wheels.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

M O U S E and disastervibe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:42 pm

I think it depends. If you're going to be handling food, holding a newborn baby, or doing anything else where you would be particularly worried about hygiene, I'd say yeah, wash your hands, but I'd suggest that even if you hadn't been handling mice. Otherwise, I don't think it's big deal, especially if you've only been touching their fur and not their feet (mine run through their own poop on their wheels, so I know where those paws have been lol), as @SarahAdams said. Bedding and cage items however.... I would say yeah, it's probably a good idea to wash after.

disastervibe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus

River and SarahAdams like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 11:20 pm

Also when you handle mice there's a good chance you yourself will be pooed on.

I'd always wash before to protect the mouse from any germs, and I always wash after personally. They aren't super unclean, I just consider it good practice. If you have a boy, they are more prone to 'marking' on you, so that's a big part of it for me. Smile

Remembering Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brianna.love on Thu 03 Dec 2020, 12:26 pm

This one honestly depends for me, I'm someone who wears heavy perfume so I try to wash up with at least a bit of a sponge bath and some mildly or unscented soap before playing with my mice. I also usually at least wash my hands afterwards because both my mice tend to poo or pee on me and my furniture without a problem Laughing Laughing as for while I'm playing with them I usually grab a towel or two just incase it gets messy. I might be overly cautious but this is just my "procedure" persay because the first time I handled my mice without washing up both of them started sneezing and when I put them back in the cage the sneezing stopped very fast, so I thought about it and said "It's probably my perfume bothering them!" After that time the next time I played with my mice I made sure that I washed up and was the least scented I could be, then when I played with my mice after washing up they were very content and grooming me with no sneezes!

brianna.love
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Curious

https://www.instagram.com/brianna.plautz/

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down