Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Oreoandfriends Wed 16 Dec 2020, 11:40 pm

Tonight when I went to go check on my mouse Fabio, I noticed that he was just sitting there shaking. I went to touch him because he always reacts to that but he didn’t this time. I picked him up (which he normally hates) and put him in an extra carrier I have. I’ve also sat with him in a blanket for a while to make him comfy, and he’s definitely not acting normal. *For reference, I adopted him from my local shelter in late December of 2019 so I’ve had him for about a year. I don’t know his exact age or genetic background but I assume he was bred as a feeder mouse because he was surrendered with several other white mice of varying genders*
His hands and body seem to be very shaky (my room stays at a good temperature) and he just seems disoriented in general. His eyes are squinted and he’s hunched up into a ball. Just last night he was acting like his normal energetic self. He’s been eating food this whole time which seems to be calming him down but he’s eating it extremely slow compared to how he normally does. I also gave him some honey in case he’s low on sugar but not too much.
I’m thinking it’s either a stroke, seizure, or brain tumor but I really have no idea. He would be going to the exotic vet right now but they’re closed and don’t take walk ins. PLEASE HELP! I need to know if there’s anything I can do for him. I’m absolutely devastated over this and I’ll be even more devastated if he doesn’t make it long enough to see the new cage I got him for Christmas. Sad
Thanks.
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2018-07-22
Posts : 105
Cheerful

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by M O U S E Thu 17 Dec 2020, 6:34 am

Evidently, I can't help you much in trying to give you a "temporary diagnosis". I would suggest doing a checkup on him. Look for unusual lumps, irregularities with the skin, etc. What does his fur look like? How is he hunched? Does he wobble when he walks?
When my hamster got old, she hunched and wobbled. She also got a little thinner and had ruffled fur. She was fine the day before, but went downhill pretty quickly.

_________________
Mice: Roisin, Fiadh  Tail Flip
Puppers: Maise, Flaithuil, Caolan Dog3  
Rainbow Bridge: Cairdeus (hammie), Zairah (cat) Hearts Rainbow2
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2020-03-19
Posts : 145
Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Oreoandfriends Thu 17 Dec 2020, 11:02 am

@M O U S E wrote:Evidently, I can't help you much in trying to give you a "temporary diagnosis". I would suggest doing a checkup on him. Look for unusual lumps, irregularities with the skin, etc. What does his fur look like? How is he hunched? Does he wobble when he walks?
When my hamster got old, she hunched and wobbled. She also got a little thinner and had ruffled fur. She was fine the day before, but went downhill pretty quickly.

Thank you. He’s sleeping this morning but definitely still not acting like normal. I think his fur still looks the same and I haven’t seen him walk much but I think he’s a bit wobbly. I’ll move him back to his normal cage today so he might be more comfortable but I’ll keep food and water close by to him. I really hope he’s recovering, thank you!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2018-07-22
Posts : 105
Cheerful

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by M O U S E Thu 17 Dec 2020, 6:33 pm

@Oreoandfriends wrote:
@M O U S E wrote:Evidently, I can't help you much in trying to give you a "temporary diagnosis". I would suggest doing a checkup on him. Look for unusual lumps, irregularities with the skin, etc. What does his fur look like? How is he hunched? Does he wobble when he walks?
When my hamster got old, she hunched and wobbled. She also got a little thinner and had ruffled fur. She was fine the day before, but went downhill pretty quickly.

Thank you. He’s sleeping this morning but definitely still not acting like normal. I think his fur still looks the same and I haven’t seen him walk much but I think he’s a bit wobbly. I’ll move him back to his normal cage today so he might be more comfortable but I’ll keep food and water close by to him. I really hope he’s recovering, thank you!
You're welcome Smile I hope he feels okay soon. Are you going to try to schedule an appointment? Some vets to over the phone diagnosis' too, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be or how much they could help. I did a quick search, and it could also be a cold (the shaking along with runny eyes and sneezing), a heart attack, and the three you listed are good educated guesses as well.
I would suggest making sure that food and water are easily accessible, the water bottle drip is working, watching his weight, eating, and drinking, other possible symptoms, and maybe even giving him something to warm himself up with if he doesn't have something already. Heart attacks cool and animal's body. I'm unsure about strokes and such, but they could too. I hope this helps!

_________________
Mice: Roisin, Fiadh  Tail Flip
Puppers: Maise, Flaithuil, Caolan Dog3  
Rainbow Bridge: Cairdeus (hammie), Zairah (cat) Hearts Rainbow2
M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2020-03-19
Posts : 145
Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:50 pm

@M O U S E wrote:
@Oreoandfriends wrote:
@M O U S E wrote:Evidently, I can't help you much in trying to give you a "temporary diagnosis". I would suggest doing a checkup on him. Look for unusual lumps, irregularities with the skin, etc. What does his fur look like? How is he hunched? Does he wobble when he walks?
When my hamster got old, she hunched and wobbled. She also got a little thinner and had ruffled fur. She was fine the day before, but went downhill pretty quickly.

Thank you. He’s sleeping this morning but definitely still not acting like normal. I think his fur still looks the same and I haven’t seen him walk much but I think he’s a bit wobbly. I’ll move him back to his normal cage today so he might be more comfortable but I’ll keep food and water close by to him. I really hope he’s recovering, thank you!
You're welcome Smile I hope he feels okay soon. Are you going to try to schedule an appointment? Some vets to over the phone diagnosis' too, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be or how much they could help. I did a quick search, and it could also be a cold (the shaking along with runny eyes and sneezing), a heart attack, and the three you listed are good educated guesses as well.
I would suggest making sure that food and water are easily accessible, the water bottle drip is working, watching his weight, eating, and drinking, other possible symptoms, and maybe even giving him something to warm himself up with if he doesn't have something already. Heart attacks cool and animal's body. I'm unsure about strokes and such, but they could too. I hope this helps!
Sorry I completely missed this response until now! I have not scheduled an appointment but I definitely will if he shows any more worrying symptoms. Last night and tonight he’s been running around his cage just like he normally does so I’m hoping he’s recovering but I’m keeping a close eye on him! I found an old reptile heat mat and thermostat that I can use to warm him if my room seems cold so that’s a relief. I also added in lots of nesting material for him to use!
Thanks! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2018-07-22
Posts : 105
Cheerful

M O U S E and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by chiroptera Sun 20 Dec 2020, 2:31 am

@Oreoandfriends Just wanted to pop in and make sure by "nesting material" you didn't mean the cotton fluff stuff they sell in pet shops - that's super dangerous for rodents as it can cause impaction and even wrap around limbs and cut off circulation. Sorry if you didn't mean this stuff, but would rather comment and be wrong than not say anything and have something happen to one of your mice.

_________________
Bat tabby | she/her | 25 | tx, usa Bat
★Mouse Dossier★
my mouse gallery


Cool mouse mom to: Pronto, Nellie, Frankie, + Zinnia
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge. Love
chiroptera
chiroptera
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2017-11-23
Posts : 573
Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Dee67 Sun 20 Dec 2020, 1:15 pm

I hope Fabio is on the mend now. Perhaps a small seizure and he will recover. My dog has them, it throws him for the day, and he resets by the end of the second day.

_________________
Dee
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2020-12-16
Posts : 100
Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Oreoandfriends Sun 20 Dec 2020, 1:42 pm

@chiroptera wrote:@Oreoandfriends Just wanted to pop in and make sure by "nesting material" you didn't mean the cotton fluff stuff they sell in pet shops - that's super dangerous for rodents as it can cause impaction and even wrap around limbs and cut off circulation. Sorry if you didn't mean this stuff, but would rather comment and be wrong than not say anything and have something happen to one of your mice.
Yes of course! I appreciate you making sure, I probably should’ve clarified. I just meant safe things like toilet paper and hay that he can use to stay warm, thankfully I found that the cotton fluff was dangerous in my early mouse research before I got them!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2018-07-22
Posts : 105
Cheerful

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Oreoandfriends Sun 20 Dec 2020, 1:42 pm

@Dee67 wrote:I hope Fabio is on the mend  now. Perhaps a small seizure and he will recover. My dog has them, it throws him for the day, and he resets by the end of the second day.
Thank you, Yes I hope so too, I’d really like him to have a long and healthy life! I hope your dog is fairing well with them too.
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2018-07-22
Posts : 105
Cheerful

Back to top Go down

HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse Empty Re: HELP! There’s something wrong with my mouse

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum