Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hey yall

Go down

hey yall Empty hey yall

Post by ddavno Fri 19 Mar 2021, 12:55 pm

hi everybody, I was on this forum a loooong time ago and I forgot the username. I used this forum a lot when I had my first mouse, Zazu. now, I really need some help. just today, my mom and I found a little baby mouse running around our house. I would never allow him to be murdered by my cat, so we quickly saved him. we put him into my 20 gallon tank, and I still had supplies left from Zazu. I had bedding, some food, a wheel, and stuff. so now, I have a tiny little baby mouse in this huge tank. I don't want him to get lonely, and he's so little he could be easy to tame and become pals with. but, I don't know how old he is, I don't know if he's old enough to eat the food I have for him, and I don't know if I should be diluting it either. his eyes are open, he can run and walk around and stuff.
anyway, my user i think was fukari on this? so i guess this isnt really an introduction lol. Shocked

ddavno

Aries Amused

Back to top Go down

hey yall Empty Re: hey yall

Post by ApricotWinter Sun 21 Mar 2021, 12:20 pm

Welcome to the forum! Are you sure this mouse is a male? If he is, I would not recommend getting him any friends. If it is a girl, I think you could possibly get some friends... I do not really have much experience on this subject, but I think @River or @Dee67 could help. I like to offer moist or softened foods to baby mice, so you could try that.
ApricotWinter
ApricotWinter
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by ddavno Sun 21 Mar 2021, 4:52 pm

Hey! Yeah, it's all good, I left him to explore his cage and he actually ate the food I gave him. He's super tame and so energetic. For now, I don't know if it's a male or female, so we're calling him a him for now. We named him Simon Smile)

ddavno

Aries Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 22 Mar 2021, 12:03 am

It really depends on the species. While I don't personally like the idea of keeping wild mice, many do, and it's possible he's an invasive species who cannot be released. Assuming this is the case, I actually recommend upgrading the enclosure and closely imitating his natural territory as best as possible -- there's probably a study on his wild behavior and territory size somewhere. It's important to remember that he's a wild animal from the wild, and what seems huge to Zazu is small to him. He also has more intact instincts, so limit open space as much as possible; he needs a lot of clutter. Smile 

Depending on the species he'll likely need companions, I agree. Most mice are social. In North America, deer mice are very common. They can't breed with fancies, so that's an option. However, deer mice are native, so I personally see no reason for keeping them if they're not injured or otherwise unable. House mice are invasive in NA so introducing them to the wild may not be allowed, but they can breed with fancies. These are just examples. In both cases they'd need a companion of some sort, but with the house mouse it'd be very difficult to supply that. Wild mice are mice who have had colonies, and keeping them alone is not an option for most every species. They're a bit more work than your average mousey. 

Good luck!

Remembering Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down