Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

4 posters

Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by Sweetiehoney Fri 28 May 2021, 2:46 pm

So I got 2 new mice recently but one of them (vanilla) HATES the other. I put a wall in their cage to keep him away from the other mouse but today he got through to the other side and was about to attack him so I picked him up and he bit me super hard I started to bleed. Now my finger is hard and pretty swollen. This isn’t a wild mouse, it was bred to be a pet so should I be concerned? I know this isn’t mouse health but I’m hoping someone will know

Sweetiehoney
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-10-28
Posts : 17

KenzelColony likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by SarahAdams Fri 28 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Are you trying to keep two males together? Never do that. They will fight, often to the death.

Keep them in separate enclosures permanently. Your mouse bit you in redirected aggression. He wanted to attack your other mouse and when you picked him he took out his aggression on you.

I have two males, each in his own bin. One of my mice bit me too, really hard and it bled but I just thoroughly washed out the bite and put a bit of Polysporin on it and it healed fine. If the swelling doesn't go down in a day or so, or gets very red/hot or has red streaks coming from it, see a doctor.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2020-08-18
Posts : 200

KenzelColony likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by EmmaTheCabbage Sat 29 May 2021, 5:05 pm

@Sweetiehoney wrote:So I got 2 new mice recently but one of them (vanilla) HATES the other. I put a wall in their cage to keep him away from the other mouse but today he got through to the other side and was about to attack him so I picked him up and he bit me super hard I started to bleed. Now my finger is hard and pretty swollen. This isn’t a wild mouse, it was bred to be a pet so should I be concerned? I know this isn’t mouse health but I’m hoping someone will know

Oh my goodness. Funnily enough the EXACT same thing happened to me last week. I have 2 females (and despite being female) they HATE each other. I was introducing them to each other on neutral territory and everything. Some mice just won’t like each other no matter what. I got bit trying to separate them n same thing happened as you. My finger swelled on day one soooo bad. Be careful aswell because sometimes even the smell of the other mouse if you haven’t washed your hands will cause the other to attack. My whole finger swelled immediately after being bit. The swelling went down on day 2 but my whole hand became a tad swollen in place of the finger and I could feel I flamation up my arm on day 3. It appears after day 3 it’ll start properly getting better however you will have painful joints for likely about a week. I would only be concerned if you start getting sick between day 3-10 after being bit. Symptoms like fever, headaches, nausea. That stuff. Then you MUST see a doc even if you got mild symptoms because it may be fatal.

Could you send a pic of the set up? I’d really suggest looking into separate cages. Or if I see it perhaps I can suggest an appropriate fix to secure them both better. Mouse bit me my finger is swollen 8a4c7810

EmmaTheCabbage
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2021-02-02
Posts : 9

KenzelColony likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by cerial Mon 31 May 2021, 3:40 pm

When I first introduce mice I simply place this on top of a dirty cage and let them sniff each other for 2 hours.
Mouse bit me my finger is swollen 20210510
There is a ramp and they can pass over giving sniffs and checking each other out without biting.

This is a wall and the only time I use one.
After 2 hours I play with the mouse for 30 minutes  myself being careful to use slow hand movments. Letting them come to my hand or near it for a treat and being careful not to point or move fast. This will take days of playing but for now you just want the mouse to feel safe around you.

Then it is another 30 minutes on top of the cage letting the other mice meet once again then the fun begins.

Ok first off you need to have places where the new mouse can run and back into a corner. Mice bite tails and butts running away is worse because the chasing mouse will get desperate and bite when all they want to do is smell.

When face to face they will sniff and establish dominance. One will go down and be over groomed for a bit and then there may be a bit of chasing and butt pulling. But actual blood drawn is greatly reduced. You may have one or two bites over the next 2 nights.

Now I introduce mice into a dirty cage. With a freshly cleaned or bran new cage the mice are super active. Everything smells new and is moved around. They do nothing but explore looking for new things. Adding a new mouse to this is often seen as a threat especially with males.
Now if you have a cage setup in a organized manner then messing it up and moving things around will avoid the this is my side, thats my bowl, thats my water. If you move these things around in a dirty cage before picking up the new mouse then the old mouse will not be as territorial. Spread food around the cage as well as 2 or 3 waters in metal lids that come off glass jars that will hold about 1/8 of water.

Ok time to set the new mouse in. Now you should wear gloves and keep your hand in the cage. Just one hand and move it slowly no pointing. The mice will sniff the new mouse and thats good. The new mouse will run around being chased thats good. If there is biting then tap the mouse on the shoulder to gently push them away. Never grab them just give them little pushes away.

Now even if they do good the first day, even sleeping together, that does not mean biting wont happen. It is one of those things you just need to watch for.
After a night or two together I will clean the cage, washing plastic, toys, etc. During this time the two(or more) are placed in a tote with a single new box that everyone can  hide in and nothing else. Mice hate to be out in the open and after cleaning the cage leave the mice in this tote for another hour or two. Now drop the new mouse into the cage first and let it explore on its own for at least 30 minutes to a hour. You will want to leave your other mouse alone during this time and have it wondering where the other mouse is. After a hour place the old mouse in and watch the new mouse for 30 minutes. Then they should be good. There may be a bite or two. But it should just be grooming dominance at this point with them sleeping together after a week.

Now the more mice the easier this is as some will get use to the new mouse and be on its side protecting and watching it. But even one mouse will eventually come around. You just need to keep moving things that it makes territorial around letting it know the cage is a shared area.

If you normally clean every 2 weeks doing a cleaning after one week placing the two in the tote with the one box will help them get along. Once again put the new mouse in first.

With males you need to take a bit more time. But  everything still applies. Just remember to tap and lightly push never grabbing them.

If you have a few house mice in the cage then that complicates things. You need to set the house mice inside a tight enclosure with a lid you can close quickly by themselfs as they will often escape something that will hold a fancy. House mice hate small enclosures but a tank is the best despite them climing all over the wire making it hard to open up and put a new one in. But you just need to blow a bit and the house mouse will drop down.

Ok house mice are very submissive to fancy mice. But with other house mice they can be agressive to deadly. So once you have one male house mouse introducing a new male is not recommended. Now if the males are from the same litter then that can work. But if you have 2 or in my case 3 brothers then they will gang up on any new male.


If you tap or gently push the mice they usually wont bite or bite by accident. If you grab them though they are going to react scared and a bite would not be surprising.

cerial
Jr Member
Jr Member

Join date : 2021-05-30
Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by SarahAdams Mon 31 May 2021, 7:23 pm

Even with males from the same litter, raised together who may get along for awhile, it's taking a big risk to put them together.

In nature, one mouse can leave the area to escape aggression. They cannot do so in captivity. The risk of serious fighting, a horrible injury, and death is very high.

I would advise no one to keep males together, ever. It's not fair to them since you're putting them into a situation where neither can escape.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2020-08-18
Posts : 200

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by Sweetiehoney Wed 02 Jun 2021, 4:57 am

@SarahAdams wrote:Are you trying to keep two males together? Never do that. They will fight, often to the death.

Keep them in separate enclosures permanently. Your mouse bit you in redirected aggression. He wanted to attack your other mouse and when you picked him he took out his aggression on you.

I have two males, each in his own bin. One of my mice bit me too, really hard and it bled but I just thoroughly washed out the bite and put a bit of Polysporin on it and it healed fine. If the swelling doesn't go down in a day or so, or gets very red/hot or has red streaks coming from it, see a doctor.

Hi, no I have them separated. I use an ikea detolf for their cage it’s about 60” long and there’s a wall in the middle separating them so they both have enough space. When I take them out for play time I take them out an separate times. One of the mice managed to get to the other side of the cage (i reblocked it after and made sure it was inescapable) and that’s how they fought

Sweetiehoney
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-10-28
Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by Sweetiehoney Wed 02 Jun 2021, 5:02 am

@EmmaTheCabbage wrote:
@Sweetiehoney wrote:So I got 2 new mice recently but one of them (vanilla) HATES the other. I put a wall in their cage to keep him away from the other mouse but today he got through to the other side and was about to attack him so I picked him up and he bit me super hard I started to bleed. Now my finger is hard and pretty swollen. This isn’t a wild mouse, it was bred to be a pet so should I be concerned? I know this isn’t mouse health but I’m hoping someone will know

Oh my goodness. Funnily enough the EXACT same thing happened to me last week. I have 2 females (and despite being female) they HATE each other. I was introducing them to each other on neutral territory and everything. Some mice just won’t like each other no matter what. I got bit trying to separate them n same thing happened as you. My finger swelled on day one soooo bad. Be careful aswell because sometimes even the smell of the other mouse if you haven’t washed your hands will cause the other to attack. My whole finger swelled immediately after being bit. The swelling went down on day 2 but my whole hand became a tad swollen in place of the finger and I could feel I flamation up my arm on day 3. It appears after day 3 it’ll start properly getting better however you will have painful joints for likely about a week. I would only be concerned if you start getting sick between day 3-10 after being bit. Symptoms like fever, headaches, nausea. That stuff. Then you MUST see a doc even if you got mild symptoms because it may be fatal.

Could you send a pic of the set up? I’d really suggest looking into separate cages. Or if I see it perhaps I can suggest an appropriate fix to secure them both better. Mouse bit me my finger is swollen 8a4c7810


I can’t figure out how to upload a photo so here is a google link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/514M94oWJLiQp52R7
I covered the glass wall in cardboard as well on both sides

Sweetiehoney
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2020-10-28
Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Mouse bit me my finger is swollen Empty Re: Mouse bit me my finger is swollen

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum