Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congenital Heart Disease/Failure

Go down

Congenital Heart Disease/Failure Empty Congenital Heart Disease/Failure

Post by disastervibe Fri 02 Jul 2021, 6:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience with mice getting congenital heart failure? We're hoping it's just a nasty infection, but the vet says it's possible that one of my mice has congenital heart failure. I don't have the scans yet to confirm (will get them), but if it does happen I wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with their mice developing CHF? I know with larger animals there may be medication and such, but I don't know how feasible that will be with a mouse.

Obviously, I'll (continue to) consult my vet, but I want a sense of what other people have done/how they've managed it, if possible. She's only 9.5 months old, I'm not ready for her to go yet, and her sister isn't ready either (she's been spending more time with her sister actually since she's fallen ill). If it's feasible and I can come up with the money for it, I would put her on any treatment plan necessary.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Congenital Heart Disease/Failure Empty Re: Congenital Heart Disease/Failure

Post by Dee67 Tue 06 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm

@disastervibe I had several ferrets with CHF and they were treated with a diuretic and beta blockers. I do not know if the dose could be adjusted for a 1 ounce or so mouse but no harm in asking a vet about it.
Also this from an article :
Rodents
Little information is available for cardiac disease in other small mammal species, although anecdotally it has been seen in a range of different species. Cardiac disease has been described in chinchillas following the onset of syncope, collapse or what appears to the owner to be seizure-like episodes (Goodman, 2011). Atrial thrombosis is commonly reported in hamsters secondary to heart failure, with patients usually presenting with cyanosis, tachypnoea and cold extremities (Brown and Donnelly, 2012) (Figure 7). Diagnostic work-up for small rodents is similar to above, ideally with assessment with radiography and echocardiography. Treatment is symptomatic and usually involves a combination of diuretics, ACE inhibitors and, in the case of hamsters, can include prophylactic anticoagulants (Brown and Donnelly, 2012).

It is important to remember when treating cardiac disease in small exotic mammals that all drugs are off licence and most dosages have been extrapolated from companion animal medicine.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Fri 09 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

Thanks for this info! At the moment she's doing a little better (still panting and not as active, but she's eating the KMR and her favourite treats again, isn't losing weight so much, and is a little bit more perky), so the vet and I decided we'd continue with the antibiotics for now and see if she improves any. We're trying to avoid having to put her under sedation (we would need to in order to have her CT scanned) because that's a risky procedure. It's good to know there may be a possible treatment if the worst were to happen.

@Dee67 wrote:@disastervibe I had several ferrets with CHF and they were treated with a diuretic and beta blockers. I do not know if the dose could be adjusted for a 1 ounce or so mouse but no harm in asking a vet about it.
Also this from an article :
Rodents
Little information is available for cardiac disease in other small mammal species, although anecdotally it has been seen in a range of different species. Cardiac disease has been described in chinchillas following the onset of syncope, collapse or what appears to the owner to be seizure-like episodes (Goodman, 2011). Atrial thrombosis is commonly reported in hamsters secondary to heart failure, with patients usually presenting with cyanosis, tachypnoea and cold extremities (Brown and Donnelly, 2012) (Figure 7). Diagnostic work-up for small rodents is similar to above, ideally with assessment with radiography and echocardiography. Treatment is symptomatic and usually involves a combination of diuretics, ACE inhibitors and, in the case of hamsters, can include prophylactic anticoagulants (Brown and Donnelly, 2012).

It is important to remember when treating cardiac disease in small exotic mammals that all drugs are off licence and most dosages have been extrapolated from companion animal medicine.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Sat 10 Jul 2021, 3:29 am

Let's keep our fingers crossed that she is on the mend with the antibiotics. Keep us up to date, please and thanks.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

disastervibe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down