Ahhh! Help!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ahhh! Help!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 6:26 pm

A few days ago I decided it was time to introduce little clover to the colony. Umm, well, all went well in the neutral territory introduction, but when it was time to go in the main cage... disaster struck. I put them all in without washing the toys (oops), and Clover was just minding her own business exploring the cage, when Daisy comes along (I'd like to mention, Daisy has gotten really big, like too big..) and Daisy just chased the poor baby around the cage and she was squealing with fear trying to escape! So I quickly used a tp tube to separate them, and put Clover back in quarantine. Then today, I decided it had been long enough and this time I washed everything with Windex and dried. Put them all in, and Daisy and Clover came face to face, I heard poor little Clover squeal, then it started again, Daisy chased Clover into a Puzzle playground thing, cornered her, jumped on her, and was about to bite, I heard lots and lots of squealing, I freaked out and detached the tube from the puzzle playground and got Clover out, just in time. I'm not sure if I should keep trying or if there's just no hope!
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Ahhh! Help!

Post by Peachy on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 6:55 pm

Did you do neutral territory again, like a bathtub? How'd your other girl do with Clover? Edit: Oops. Or is it just Daisy and Clover?

I would give them a few days so they can relax and wind down. Then start from the beginning. Neutral territory in the tub (or whatever) with clean EVERYTHING for half an hour. If they're doing alright, move them to the new set up. My introductions always seem to go smoother when there's less cool stuff to fight over, so consider keeping it clean and simple at first. They only really need a new nest box, a wheel, food, and water. Keep in mind that if there's no blood drawn, it's important to let them just work things out. It can look/sound kinda scary, but getting put together and removed over and over will be more stressful.

Last edited by abeona on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Omg, stupid auto correct! lol)
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 6:58 pm

As long as they aren't trying to hurt each other, I say let them be. More than likely Daisy just wants to sniff Clover, and Clover wants to be left alone to do her own thing. Once Daisy has sniffed Clover enough, she should lose interest and start letting little Clover go about her business.

However, if they actually start to bite or scratch each other, then you should separate them immediately.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:37 pm

Okay, so the toys should have been washed - otherwise Daisy will see them as hers (you know that now). But the rest of your description sounds perfectly normal. Chasing, squeaking, even fighting is normal (as long as no blood is spilled). I have had mice who were literally SCREAMING when they were introduced to other mice - and it sounded absolutely awful. But unless the fighting gets serious, it is best to let them get on with it - otherwise you're delaying them being able to work it out and settle down.

I understand how nerve wracking introductions are though, so it is best to do it when you have lots of time on your hands so that you can sit by and play referee.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:03 pm

abeona wrote:Did you do neutral territory again, like a bathtub? How'd your other girl do with Clover? Edit: Oops. Or is it just Daisy and Clover?
There's also Holly. Holly was fine, didn't seem to care much, Daisy came and looked at her like "Umm, are you going to come out, there's an intruder!" Lol, but they were getting along ok, I believe it's just Daisy that's the problem. I did not do the neutral territory thing again, I was not aware it was necessary to re-do that. I just do it in a tank if I have access to an empty one, however, I used a big plastic drawer this time. I sprinkled bits of cheerio all around and they seemed to enjoy it, there was lots of stealing food from each other's mouth, though Rolling Eyes . I put a saucer wheel, two tp tubes, and a fun thing to climb on in the drawer. I'm not allowed to have mice in the bathtub lol.
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:05 pm

@MouseLover wrote:Okay, so the toys should have been washed - otherwise Daisy will see them as hers (you know that now). But the rest of your description sounds perfectly normal. Chasing, squeaking, even fighting is normal (as long as no blood is spilled). I have had mice who were literally SCREAMING when they were introduced to other mice - and it sounded absolutely awful. But unless the fighting gets serious, it is best to let them get on with it - otherwise you're delaying them being able to work it out and settle down.

I understand how nerve wracking introductions are though, so it is best to do it when you have lots of time on your hands so that you can sit by and play referee.
I just don't know when to separate them though, she was squealing so loud it sounded bad so I got scared and tried to act quick. Clover is so itty bitty and Daisy is huge, so Clover has trouble getting away with Daisy on top of her.
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Yeah it is scary. But it usually sounds a lot worse than it is. They need to work out their hierarchy, so Daisy may just feel the need to assert her dominance over Clover before she can relax and welcome her into the colony. Have a tp tube at hand, so that you can stick that between them to break it up if there is fighting, that way you won't get bitten by accident. But really you shouldn't need to stop it unless there is vicious biting.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

I may not be a professional in introductions, but this is what works for me. I don't introduce one new mouse to two mice with an established relationship. I get two new mice together, preferable from the same litter. Then, after quaranteen, I introduce the two to the other two. This way they have at least one pal who they already know. I think Daisy may just be protecting her roommate, from the intruder. Go through all the same suggested procedures above. It should work.
Also, I make a lot of new things for the cage they will be in together, and keep changing the new items to other ones for the next several days, of course keeping the sleep house. This gives them all something new to examine and takes their minds off each other. As soon as I see them sleep together, I know we have got it made.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 10:56 pm

One of my most memorable mousie moments was when two of my girls were fighting, after perhaps months of being bullied, my one girl stoop up finally to the bully. In the middle of the fight, at one point, she was standing on her hind legs waving her arms around and shrieking at the former bully. Had i not watched the fight, i would of assumed one of them was getting killed, but one was just flipping out at the other who was cowering. After that day, there was no more bullying, don't think i saw another non cheerio tug-of-war related fight with them after that.

The fighting can sound pretty bad but unless you are seeing fur missing or blood or another mouse physically pinning the other down they'll probably work it out.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 18 Jul 2016, 11:54 pm

Only ever separate if blood is drawn. Otherwise, let them be. Your biggest mistake was not washing the toys; it probably set things back a long way. But you'll just have to work from there. Again, if there's no blood, let them fight. When I first introduced Egg, she and Mabel were fighting brutally throughout the night, but once things calmed down, they went to sleep together and instantly became best friends.

Another good thing to do is have them in an empty tank except for food and water until they stop arguing. Then slowly introduce one clean toy at a time, wheel first and then others. Make them learn to share the necessities before anything else.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:40 am

I once introduced two female rats, Brandy and Cleo. There was fighting at first, but no blood drawn. It sounded like they were killing each other. Happened one more time in the middle of that first night. When I looked in on them in the morning, they were cuddled up sleeping together and were best friends the rest of their lives.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MousePirate on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:58 pm

You can use vinegar and water mix wash of them. Sometimes working or not. My girl Sothis cannot living with other 5 girls keep bullies her. I have no idea. I keep Sothis alone in cage Sad

Aquarius Amused

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/ratpirate/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 5:30 pm

Ok I tried putting Clover with my newer mouse, Blossom, after quarantine. I just don't want Clover to end up getting sick because of loneliness, so I tried Blossom instead of Daisy & Holly. This time, Clover was the bully! Clover actually came and bit Blossom on the foot in neutral territory! Ugh, now I'm starting to think Clover is the issue Sad.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 2:38 am

I was wondering if the age difference in the mice has anything to do with this? Clover is young, and Daisy is probably older by a few months, which is a lot in mouse years. Also, Blossom is younger than Clover. Is it a bad idea to introduce them young?

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 6:09 am

it shouldn't matter that much. sometimes everyone falls into line and there are no disagreements... other times, they fight tooth and nail for their spot in the hierarchy. it's just how it is.

i can tell you that for that reason, three mice have the best chance of getting along without too much fighting. it goes even smoother if they are about the same size. then age plays a role. but if there is no blood, you *have* to let them fight it out. introducing them and then separating them makes things a lot worse.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum