Is this mouse male or female? (Image included)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is this mouse male or female? (Image included)

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 6:44 am

Hi,

So I have discovered I have house mice (as well as a couple of pet mice).

I have also seen babies running around (full fur and eating solid food)

I dont want any harm to come to them - so until I can find them somewhere suitible etc I need to catch them and house them temporarlly - and want to try to seperate into male / female so they dont continue to mate.

I have caught one who was much bigger than the others - and I think it may be the mum - if it is - I will let the female babies stay with her - and males in their own cages.

I managed to get this photo of her - so im wondering do you think it's a male or a female - im not experenced at sexing them at all - but my first answer is female...

What do you think?

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this mouse male or female? (Image included)

Post by Artistwolf on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:00 am

Looks female to me.
Just a word of caution—putting a bunch of males into one cage could be a death wish for them all—male pet mice will kill each other, and I imagine that wild mice would have even more territory issues. Just a word of warning.

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:08 am

i see how my description was off there - what i meant to get across was - the female babies will stay with the female mouse - in one cage (unless theres loads of females in which case they will overspill into other cages 3 in each. and where my description went wrong was -

all males will be in individial cages - not together in one - so all males will be housed on their own - i have read the horror stories about male fighting so not chancing that.

Ok so now i know she is female i can start housing other females with her baby wise Smile

thank you.

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:22 am

Just a thought I had. You don't intend to keep these wild mice, do you?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:35 am

ideally no - but at the same time i dont really know what to do with them... I was thinking of boarding up a stone shed in my garden and drilling some mouse size holes in it so they can maybe live there and bigger animals cant get in but they can get in and out.

what do you think?

timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:36 am

they can breed or do what they want out there lol or whatever wild mice want to do - but cant have that in the house lol

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:47 am

In my opinion, since the little ones are eating on their own, as you catch them I would be letting them go someplace not near your home. The sooner you get them back out in the the wild, the better for them. If you do the thing with the shed, they are going to probably stay and keep reproducing and then I think that is going to lead to more problems. Mice can reproduce at an alarming rate. Just my thoughts.
Rodents rock!

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:59 am

yeah which is a problem becase i dont know how many adult mice are in the house - and as i say already babies here - and yeah but least then they can live in the garden? Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:02 am

It's better to release them as far from your house as possible, otherwise they'll make their way back. You can release them anywhere that looks like a good place for wild mice to live: a field, a barn or farm, a forest. If you put them in your garden, they'll just go back into the house. The wild mouse care page has detailed instructions on releasing. You should not hold onto these mice any longer than what is absolutely necessary. They are wild animals.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

ok ill see if i can find anywhere that looks like a good place and ill read that article. thank you - and yeah i just want to do whats best and safest for the mice - i would like to try to release the mum and babies together tho if at all possible.

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 1:21 pm

Here's the thread: http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information.  It's definitely best for the mice if you release them at a more suitable location (more info as to where and when in that thread).

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 3:42 pm

Looks like a female to me.

And it might be beating a dead horse at this point, but the further you release them from your house, the better. Preferably a couple of miles away.

Warning: Lethal mouse traps discussed:
Personally, if I had mice in my house I'd just kill them. I'd do it as humanely as possible (no glue traps or poison for sure), but I'd still kill them. Probably with those nooski traps that strangle the mice to death. A lot less likely to misfire than a snaptrap but still pretty quick.

Last edited by abeona on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put trap comment in spoiler box)

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 4:52 pm

I agree it looks female, to me.

AnonONI, you may wish to put that last paragraph under a censored warning; it may upset some people, or just remove it entirely. I'm not personally bothered, but I know some people will be. Smile

I'd agree that you should set them as far away from your home as possible. Do you live near a retention pond? They might be released here safely, and most neighborhoods have one or two nearby.

River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

not sure but theres an urban river near me? - the wandle lol

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm

ThePetekeyPrep wrote:I agree it looks female, to me.

AnonONI, you may wish to put that last paragraph under a censored warning; it may upset some people, or just remove it entirely. I'm not personally bothered, but I know some people will be. Smile

I'd agree that you should set them as far away from your home as possible. Do you live near a retention pond? They might be released here safely, and most neighborhoods have one or two nearby.
Ah sorry, was not my intent to upset anyone. I would've gladly put a spoiler on it, but it appears to have already been done for me.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next