Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do?

Go down

Which treatment option would you choose?

Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do? Vote_lcap0%Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do? Vote_lcap0%Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
 
Total Votes : 0
Back
 
 

Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do? Empty Vet gave me options for mouse with tumor, what would you do?

Post by mousiemouses Thu 10 Nov 2022, 11:30 am

My 9 or 10 month old mouse suddenly developed a grape sized lump on her back/hip over the weekend. I took her to the vet yesterday, and they took a blood sample from the lump to look at under a microscope. The vet said it is definitely a tumor, but he isn't 100% sure what type. Currently, she is taking a good dose of Meloxicam once daily, and an antibiotic twice daily for 10 days.

He basically gave me two options, one is to continue with the medication and hope that the tumor shrinks or doesn't grow, and to eventually euthanize her if I notice her quality of life diminishing. The other option is to surgically remove the tumor. I'm conflicted on what to do. She is so young and active, and I can't imagine her passing away any time soon. The vet said she is incredibly healthy otherwise, and that surgery on her would be feasible because she's MASSIVE (more than a handful, and she isn't fat - she's just huge) and because of the location of the tumor, but I'm also scared that I am going to spend so much money on her to have surgery and that she might not survive the anesthesia.

I've had multiple mice in the past with mammary tumors, located on their undersides, and the vet did not recommend surgery for either of them. They lived for a very long time with the tumor and eventually passed in their sleep, but they were quite a bit older than my current girl and had both been mothers prior to me adopting them. Despite their tumors being massive, I don't think their quality of life was diminished. They still loved playing and I was able to make their cages accessible to them. I also am conflicted because this mouse had a lot of issues when I first adopted her. She took ages to socialize, and she and her sister were so violent and poorly behaved. She had to live alone for a while so she doesn't especially like me, but recently we have started to bond and she is trusting me a little more, and the other girls love her. She is sooo beautiful and I'm loving watching her develop a personality. I don't want to see her go so soon, especially now that I am able to hold, pat and cuddle her. Sad

What would you do? Would you risk surgery? My vet is really good with my mice and will give me his opinion if I ask for it, but this time he seemed a little more hesitant to tell me what he thinks I should do, and asked me to give it a few days to think it over. I think he wants me to do the surgery. I know I'll hate myself if the tumor could have been removed, potentially lengthening her life, and I choose not to do it.. but I'll also not forgive myself if she doesn't make it home. What do you think?

_________________
Clover • Dove • Everly • Fig • Indigo • Margot • Ruby • Scout ¬†
Angel Bailey ~ Cocoa ~ Cookie ~ Ruth Angel
mousiemouses
mousiemouses
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2022-05-01
Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum