Trouble introducing mice, help!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Trouble introducing mice, help!

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:15 am

I'm glad things are going well. When I introduce mice, I actually do things a little different. Rather than giving them nothing to do... I give them so many toys they don't even know what to do with all of them. They are too busy eating and playing to fight. And then before you know it, they are playing together. I always give 2 wheels, lots of other toys/climbing stuff, and treats scattered everywhere. This strategy usually works pretty well for me.

Anyway, since you read the information about quarantine, you saw that there are other reasons we quarantine besides letting the mouse get used to her new environment. You will also need to monitor the new mice for signs of illness and be aware that if this happens, your other mice have been exposed to that as well. Also, lastly, the quarantine period also allows time to make sure your new females aren't pregnant. It happens, more often that it should! So just keep an eye on them because if they are pregnant, they shouldn't have their babies in the same tank as the other females.

So, just keep an eye on the for the next couple of weeks to make sure they continue to be healthy and non-pregnant Smile

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:09 am

Popcorning/sparking is not ALWAYS jumping for joy. Mice can also do it when very stressed.

My example: Several months ago, I introduced two lady mice- A huge, old, happy-go-lucky mouse who was born here and a tiny, high-strung lab mouse who barbered all of her former peers. They had a disappointing amount of scuffling in their first days. Each bout would usually result in tiny Sarah Jane wildly popcorning up and down. I could tell that she couldn't help it, it was a nervous reaction.

It looked EXACTLY like the repetitive 'stimming' I had observed in a little boy at the thrift shop that week. He was about 7. He would calmly and carefully arrange some ceramic knick knacks on the shelf. Then he would step back and vigorously pogo up and down and flap his hands. Then arrange, then pogo, then arrange, then pogo... 

My mouse was so freaked out by the physical scuffles that she was 'stimming,' the poor thing! I'm glad it didn't last!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 am

Ok, everyone still seems healthy and everything. There was some chasing from Willow last night. It's weird how she's sleeping with the new girls and then minutes later she's chasing them! I woke up and found Willow and Puddles sleeping together a foot away from the new girls sleeping together. So all 4 mice aren't sleeping together yet, but they are closer than they were yesterday. I don't think there will be much going on other than the mice sleeping for the day, but I'll let you guys know if anything happens. Very Happy

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:51 am

Sounds like everything is going nicely! Good luck!

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

Awesome news, Lindz!

Lol, scaredy, I tried a bunch of toys with one of my recent introductions. My girls just fought every time they met up with each other and then were able to hide and do their own thing. It was crazy. I wish my introductions would work like yours!! Razz
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Mice are all unique, I guess different things work for different mice. I suggested the minimal toys thing as I'd heard it has helped other people, but I must admit I've never had a problem introducing mice - I've had lots of loud squeakers, and chasing and whatnot, but by the end of the day they're sleeping in the same nest. I guess I just got lucky! I tend to put in all new things that they've never seen before because I get paranoid that one of the mice will recognise something as theirs.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm

I wish I could've had good experiences with introductions. Egg's was pretty stressful when she started trying to tackle everybody, and they were squeaking well into the night, but Mabel was able to subdue her. Lilith's was more problematic. Little Cow just hated her, and they had so many arguments while they lived together! It was only towards the end that they finally learned to get along.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm

So, everything is still going ok. Puddles is being very friendly. Willow is still chasing and wrestling, it looks horrible but I don't see any blood. It's not often, just sometimes when she passes them. Should I separate her for a day or two and see if she will get along better after that? Or should I leave them to try to let them figure this out themselves? I wish Willow would lighten up a bit!

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 pm

Now Willow just climbed on top of them and didn't be aggressive. It's on and off with this mouse. Do you think she will eventually stop doing this, and be friendly all the time? (except for the normal squabbles)

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Do not separate! No blood, no problem. They are establishing hierarchy... and all the behavior you are describing is perfectly normal mouse stuff. You will see chasing, hear squeaking, you may even see humping... all normal. Sometimes it can look and sound awful. As humans, we can't make sense of it, but this is how mice get to know each other.

When I introduce my mice, I sit with them for about 1/2 hour. Then I leave the room and shut the door. I can't watch. It's too stressful! I make my rounds every hour or so, but otherwise, I leave them alone to handle their business.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:09 am

Ok, I won't separate them. Puddles and Willow are running on their wheels, and the 2 new girls are sleeping in a corner. So far so good. I'll update on how they're doing in the morning.

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:06 am

Ok, I didn't hear much speaking last night, if any. I woke up and found Puddles and Willow had made a little nest with the toilet paper. I couldn't find the new girls for a while, but then I realized that they made a nest right next to Puddle and Willow's. So they aren't sleeping together yet, but they are sleeping right next to each other in separate nests. I think that's progress. Very Happy I will let you guys know what happens tonight, since they'll be fast asleep during the day. I'm watching Willow find pieces of toilet paper and drag them to the nest, as she pushes the bedding out of her way. So cute!

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 am

That does sound like progress Smile hopefully those nests will keep getting closer and closer til they're all in one big mouse pile.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:44 pm

So, last night I tried to reintroduce a flying saucer that Willow was fighting over (I don't know why, she doesn't use it at all!) and it didn't work. She started chasing and fighting more. So I took it out, and everything's fine now. I plan on getting a second one so there can be two upright solid wheels and two flying saucer wheels, so Willow won't fight and because both new girls love the flying saucer wheels. I think the girls are all sleeping together now, except for Puddles who is currently foraging Very Happy

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LindzDaFinS on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Ok, tonight there is a lot of chasing and fighting, some between Puddles and Willow too. I think they are still establishing the hierarchy, and hope things will settle down soon :/ It's normal for this to take a while, right? Tomorrow will have been a week since they met.

LindzDaFinS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum