Twice bitten

Go down

Twice bitten

Post by Brynne on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 1:44 am

In 2011, my mouse, Homer, bit me. I'd bred his litter on purpose, so I can't blame anyone other than myself. He was the one that refused to be anyone's pet! All of his siblings quickly mastered staying in my hand until I gave them the "Okay!" command. Homer knew better. He thought, "Hell, NO! Never! Not gonna happen!" So he NEVER sat in my hand. Not once. 
If memory serves, the reason he bit me was because I wanted him to return to his cage, and he disagreed. He sunk his fangs deep into the tip of my index finger. It hurt for a month!

That was the first and only time a mouse had ever bitten me, even though I'd had about 40 random mice over 30 years. 

Well, I must be giving off some strange vibes these days.  I've been bitten twice in the past week or two. Two separate incidents with different, unrelated mice. The first was Boris.  He'd been self-barbering under his chin and chest.  It was looking irritated. I tried for days to rub on a bit of colloidal silver (that's just water with 10 ppm of silver in it,) but he would squirm out of my grasp. Finally, I decided to lift him by the base of the tail as his hands stayed on the counter. I would reach the spot that way. He flung his head around and bit the tip of my left pinky. It gushed blood for a few minutes, but quickly healed without pain. 

Several days later, I was trying to palpate a tumour that sprung up seemingly out of nowhere on Zeldah. It had already doubled in size after three days. It was almost certainly mammary cancer since it was directly beneath her front nipple. Yet it was not impossible for it to be an abscess. I scruffed her so I could get a clear look. She bit the tip of my left middle finger. It didn't bleed much at all, which was nice. 

Lessons learned! No more scruffing or tail-base holding without bite-proof gloves. I have two maroon marks in front of my fingernails to remind me.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Re: Twice bitten

Post by CallaLily on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:09 am

Sounds like they were a bit grumpy because they weren't feeling well.  I haven't been truly bitten (yet) by any mouse but the couple times I've been nipped it was with one not feeling well and one who had enough of me trying to get a picture.  No pain or blood or any marks, just surprise.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 9:48 am

When I first put my hand in the quarantine cage after getting Selina, she gave me a nasty surprise. A full-on bite to my thumb, and the bottom teeth slid under my fingernail. It hurt like hell. She latched on, too, and I had to wait a few moments for her to release. Thankfully, though, she has not bitten me since.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 10:27 am

Ha, Homer sounds like he was a fun mouse!

I don't scruff but I've done the tail thing when I needed to see Lucas's tumor. I'm glad they didn't bite you too hard, and am sorry to hear of their troubles. Worry

Besides Yoshi and his bratty biting that left many of my fingers sore, the only other bite that I can remember (that wasn't a curious test nibble) was from one of my girls while they were in their nest. I poked my finger in their doorway and it got bit. Laughing
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:13 am

I feel so lucky I haven't been bitten! I mean, Henry still nibbles a little, but no biting. Brynne, have you tried wrapping mice in towels when restraining them? It gives you full control over the body, so they can't turn their head to bite even if they want to.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 12:16 pm

abeona - I was so excited when I first got my first ever mice, that the next day I poked my finger in their nest while they were sleeping - I was just trying to move the tissue out the way so I could take a peek through the doorway, and I got a little nip. Not really painful, but it shocked me. Lesson learned, I'll enevr poke my finger in a mouse nest again Laughing

Other than that, the only other mouse who has nipped me was Clover, who hated me after I had man-handled her a lot to give her antibiotics. Even then, she only gave me little nips to warn me to back off. I've never been full on bitten by a mouse.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 8:34 pm

No full-on mouse bites, just one or two little nips over the years. I was, however, bitten by a rat and it was my dog's fault Laughing . A few years ago, after the last of a colony had passed, I felt burned out on mice and decided to get rats. I didn't think twice about the BooDog as she'd always been interested in the mice but never hostile or threatening. So, I adopted two brothers from a local rat rescue and the dog went berserk as soon was they were in the house!! After the fact, it dawned on me that dachshunds (her mom was a doxie) are likely to see rats as prey since doxies are bred to hunt badgers. Her manic and vicious behavior freaked out the rats, even though they were housed in different room, and one of them rushed me when I opened their cage to change out the food dish and sunk upper and lower teeth into my finger! Luckily, he scared himself as much as me and let go quickly but, boy, talk about bleeding! The poor rats were returned to the rescue folks in a matter of days and I went back to mice, much to the relief of the BooDog Wink .

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 1:50 pm

My mouse chomped me yesterday hard.

Ouch.  Rat bite.  I never think of that.   I often toy with the idea of getting rats maybe in the future one day, though can't see not having mice.        But yeah, bigger animal bigger bites.  

But yes, yesterday,  Nutty took a huge bite out of my finger.   We were playing our little game that we love, called cardboard invader.   I was using an extra long piece of cardboard about a foot long for her to chase around and when she finally caught it she began climbing up it.   I was holding it straight up, so it took her awhile to inch up the cardboard as there isn't anything to grip really and i sort of just forgot what was happening for a second.   She looked so cute climbing i lost the plot.

"Oh yeah, she's coming to get me"   So when she finally made it to the top of the cardboard she bit my finger hard.   She wasn't biting "me"  she was just biting whatever was at the top of the cardboard, i forgot to move my finger.   Usually at that point, i plop the cardboard piece down and she carries it around her cage and wrestles it.

My finger was bleeding for a good 3 minutes.   A lot of blood too for a mouse bite, she somehow bit like deep or something it was more like a puncture.    I had to pick a few pieces of bloody toilet paper out of her tank.

Then she was running around her tank chewing random stuff with me accusing her of having blood lust!

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down