Alfalfa cubes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alfalfa cubes?

Post by River on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:38 pm

We have them for underweight/nursing/pregnant rabbits. I was wondering if they're fine for mice to have as a treat? They aren't recommended for adult rabbits since they're high in calcium/calories/protein, is it the same for mice?

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alfalfa cubes?

Post by MouseLover on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:59 am

It's safe for mice to eat, but I'm pretty sure that mice can't digest alfalfa as well as rabbits, so it doesn't provide them with many nutrients and just acts as a source of fiber. So I wouldn't bother personally.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Animal lover on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:33 am

I believe Alfalfa hay is fattier than Timothy hay? I can't quite remember but it definitely isn't as healthy as Timothy hay. You can buy Timothy hay cubes (or just loose Timothy hay) for mice. It's a great source of fibre, and just be safe, it's recommended to put the hay in a freezer for at least 24 hours to kill any possible pests. It makes good nesting material, and hay is also good for wearing down mouse teeth!

R.I.P: Sunny, Snowy, Butterscotch, Oscar, Cookie, and Patches
Animal lover

Dead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:03 am

@Animal lover wrote:I believe Alfalfa hay is fattier than Timothy hay?

Alfalfa has higher protein and calcium. I think it's actually slightly lower in fat (not that either is super fatty).

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 pm

i have recently learned that adult chinchillas aren't supposed to have much alfalfa hay because it's fattening. That's all i know about that!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Since the mice likely won't eat much, if any, I'm not sure it's an issue that it's higher in calories/protein/calcium. I don't know for sure though.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:47 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:i have recently learned that adult chinchillas aren't supposed to have much alfalfa hay because it's fattening.  That's all i know about that!

Adult chinchillas - much like rabbits and guinea pigs - actually should not have alfalfa, since it's not actually a grass hay and doesn't seem to aid them as well as timothy does. Alfalfa pellets aided with timothy hay are fine, though.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Correct, my girls get oxbow pellets in addition to timothy hay. Anyway, I imagine alfalfa has the same effect on mice as it does on rabbits and chinnys. However, I can't imagine they would eat enough for it to really make much of different to them nutritionally.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top