Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Desperately Need Advice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Desperately Need Advice

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 am

Alright, I really didn't wanna make this thread. But I have a hard decision to make, and I need all your help.

I don't think Mabel has much longer to live. She's an old woman who's lived a full life, and she is so weak right now. She's stick thin at just 24g, and she's been dropping a consistent 2g every day. The vet, yesterday, gave me eye drops and antibiotics to treat whatever's going on with her teeth and her eyes. Her face is swelling around the cheek area, and in her eyes, one of them is full of lipid deposits, and the other has a whitening cornea. I forget exactly what the vet called it, but that's the gist.

At this point, I don't think treatment will help her. But it still remains that treatment could help her. So I don't know what to do. She's so weak right now that I think the very act of putting a syringe in her mouth and restraining her could kill her, and that's not what I want her final moment to be. Should I continue the treatment in hopes that she'll somehow make a recovery? Or is it time to let her go? She's so old and fragile; she's not the tough little cookie she used to be. I would rather that her final days aren't filled with the stress of being treated.

The other thing is the parasite treatment. Right now, all three girls are on praziquental to treat whatever mysterious internal parasite they have. I'm more comfortable halting treatment for Mabel's personal health issues, but the parasites, whatever it is, are contagious. If I stop treating Mabel but keep treating Rosie and Egg, then the other two could get reinfected and make this a lot harder. So I guess I should continue that treatment in her, right?

Oh, and sorry, one more question. I think that I could get the eye drops in her without restraining her or anything. She's very weak and slow right now, so I think I could do it. Should I do it if I can? My main issues right now are with restraining and force-medicating her.

Any advice really is appreciated. Thank you for reading this far.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Desperately Need Advice

Post by MouseLover on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:17 am

Sorry that you're having a rough time right now Sad Poor little Mabel.

What's her behaviour been like lately? Has she been acting relatively normal, or is she clearly suffering? If it was my mouse, I think my decision would be largely based on how much she seems to be suffering. If she doesn't seem to be suffering too much I think I would give the treatment for at least a few days and see if there are any improvements. If she seemed really unwell and unhappy I think I would let her go. But there's no right or wrong answer, you just have to do what you think is in her best interest.

Sorry that I don't have anything too helpful to say, but I think that this is a judgement call that only you can make really. You know Mabel best, so only you can judge whether she'd want to fight for her life, or if she's had enough and would rather go peacefully.

Wishing you and your mice all the best.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:34 am

Sorry to hear about Mabels rapid decline... i understand not wanting to force her to do anything. That's where I'm at with Gilly. I'm just letting nature take it's course. And due to where the tumor is, there is no way i could (even if i wanted to) restrain her to give pain meds. So for now, she doesn't appear to be in pain but if/when that happens, i will have to put her to sleep. I don't believe in prolonging the inevitable. I think at a certain point that letting nature take its course is the right thing to do. Getting old and dying... is normal. I mean, it's awful and I hate it, but it's normal.

To answer your question, i would continue the anti-parasite medication on Mabel to help keep your other girls healthy. And go ahead with the eye drops if she doesn't mind *and* if you think they will be of any benefit to her. But I agree with you, antibiotics won't cure what she has going on. Once they just start dropping weight like that... I just have never seen a mouse come back from that. It's indicative of something more serious going on inside, something that can't even be conclusively diagnosed on a mouse or treated for that matter.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:32 am

Yeah, I agree. I managed to give her the eye drops, so I'll continue those for now. But at this point I just don't think antibiotics are going to do anything. I really hope taking the antiparasitics will be okay for her.

She still seems okay. She's still walking around and eating. She's just very weak. I don't think she'll make it to Friday. I removed their food bowl and put their seeds on the ground outside their nest so she can access it easier, and I have them some Cheerios soaked in KMR. She seemed to like them, so I'll keep them coming. Her vet is out of town, so I won't do euthanasia because a home visit is out of the question. And I want her to go surrounded by family and comfort, not stressed in a vet office. Thank you both for the advice. Now all I can do is wait.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Just pamper her... Unfortunately it doesn't sound like she has much time left, but I believe you're going really well with her. Just keep it easy for the little lady. She was always my favorite of your mice... And, of course, she still is Smile

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice, but I guess I don't need it. Mabel has passed away.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:37 pm

oh no Sad i hate death its all so tragic Sad - well you know - at least it happend at home rather than the vets or injections as you say - i truly beleve if there is anything after then our pets are there too.

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm so sorry to hear, CinnamonPearl. I hope Eglantine and Rosie aren't taking it too hard. Sad

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Oh no, that happened really quickly... I'm sorry cinna. Sweet little Mabel Sad

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Sorry for your loss :-( hope you and your other girls are doing okay, you've had it so rough recently :-(

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Sad
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:58 am

Oh no Sad That's so sad... I'm so sorry. It was so fast... My favorite little girl of yours. I hope you're taking it okay.

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 am

So sorry to hear this Sad It was so fast, but at least that means she didn't suffer for long. Hope you're all doing okay.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 am

I'm so sorry, Cinna.  She had a great life with you.  I'm glad she was able to go at home, surrounded by those who love her. hugs

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Sending hugs your way.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlesqueaks on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Rip Mabel, I'm so sorry to hear about her loss
Littlesqueaks

Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next