Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disinfecting the Tank

Go down

Disinfecting the Tank Empty Disinfecting the Tank

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 1:33 pm

Okay so I had a thought yesterday! I thought that maybe the reason my girls got reinfected with tapeworm even after being treated is because the eggs were being carried in their toys. I mean, they poop and pee on their toys all the time. I think it may be possible that that's how it recurred.

So this time I'm gonna do it right. I'm treating Henry as well now, because he uses the girls' toys as well. And what I'm gonna do is dump all of their toys and start over with a completely fresh batch. That way, everything will be 100% clean. I think this'll work. Now, my only question is- when in the ten day treatment is the best time to do this? Because if I do it closer to the beginning, they might still have tapeworm inside them that'll reinfect the toys. But if I do it later, they might already be reinfected by the time I dump the toys. What do you guys think? Maybe I should have them spend a couple of days without any toys just to make sure or something?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Disinfecting the Tank Empty Re: Disinfecting the Tank

Post by Ealexander on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 2:28 pm

I'm not an expert but it seems like the parasites will be dead or dying towards the end of the medicine cycle.  Once you hit that point they are probably past producing any eggs so that's when I'd do the deep clean and disinfect.  Maybe even do it at like day 8 and again at day 11 just to make sure.

After a little reading about tapeworms looks like they live in the intestine mostly, so poop is the culprit here. Maybe your best bet is to spot clean poops the best you can every day and do the disinfection and deep cleaning towards the end.

I've heard diatomaceous earth is a decent anti-tapeworm measure. I don't know if it's safe for mice but if it is maybe dusting their bedding with a small amount might help! Diatomaceous earth is basically fossilized ancient critters ground up into a powder. The particles are sharp enough to injure or kill many parasites but safe for humans, at least, to eat.

Last edited by Ealexander on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 2:34 pm

Okay that makes sense. So I'll remove toys at day 8 and reintroduce new, clean ones on day 11. That's the plan for now, but I'm open to more input! I want this to go well.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

Hi Cinna - I had a thought - how about during the days of treatment, make a few temporary toys out of popsicle sticks - that way they can have new clean toys during treatment that can be tossed afterwards. Then put your new toys in there. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 4:30 pm

Hmmm maybe. I don't wanna take any risks though! I'm not sure how best to do this, but maybe having a sterile environment for a few days is better than having them reinfect themselves and each other.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 2:40 pm

Had a big working day for the new toy collection! Over the course of a few hours, I managed to make a hammock, two MESs (a bridge and a climbing tower), and three cardboard houses. Two of the cardboard houses will replace the old ones in the mice's travel cages, and the other will be for home use. The vet I saw, who co-owns the vet hospital alongside my mice's regular vet, said that I should do a clean out of the travel cage and replace the house. It works with the tapeworm disinfecting, so I saw a good opportunity! Now I'm completely out of hot glue though, so I'm on break til Friday. >.<

I decided that while the tanks are empty, I may as well give the mice a plastic or ceramic house I can wash daily so they won't feel so exposed. Running to Petco to hopefully find something ideal.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm

They should be able to keep their wheels with daily washing as well. And if you can nab a supply of TP tubes / paper towel tubes / boxes / drink holders you can swap out (and chuck) the used ones every day or every other day during the treatment. Cheap / easy popsicle stick bridges hung everywhere will provide climbing entertainment that can get chucked out after a few days also.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 7:24 pm

Ah, yes! I forgot to mention I'll be leaving them their wheels. I'd prefer to save all my toilet paper tubes for making new toys though. I had to toss my entire supply of (very beautiful Sad ) MESs, so I'm conserving all my materials to make a whole new set.

The plan is to empty out the girls' tank tomorrow (except for their silent spinner and a plastic hide) and change out the bedding. Two days later, I'll do Henry's, and I'll leave them like that until Henry finishes his treatment. I wish I could give them a few small toys, but I need to get this right and knock this problem out of their lives once and for all. I'm not gonna risk everyone getting reinfected to leave them with a small entertainment. Being bored for a few days is better than being ill.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:24 pm

@CinnamonPearl wrote:Being bored for a few days is better than being ill.
Very true.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 12:13 pm

Girls' tank is emptied! Bedding is changed and wheel is washed too. Weird, but the tank change seems to have Egg pretty excited. Since I put her back in, she's been waddling around and even ran on the wheel for two seconds! Maybe the clean bedding will help with her URI. Of course, I expect her to return to the corner eventually, but it's nice to see her acting normal. Sunday is tank cleaning day, so that should get the last of the infected droppings out, and by Tuesday they can have their toys back. It still hurts to be throwing out all the beautiful MESs I made, but alas, it must be done.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 12:46 pm

How long do your MESs usually last you? The longest I've been able to hang onto one is about 2ish weeks. Just curious as it sounds like you've managed to hang on to some for longer. Or am I misunderstanding and these were very recent builds that you had to toss?

I hope this combined with the medicine takes care of the problem once and for all.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 1:41 pm

Mine usually last a month, longer if I use it sparingly. Now that Henry's here, they've been getting dirtier faster, so that time will probably shorten.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down