Still having OCD issues

Go down

Still having OCD issues

Post by DVirginiana on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:53 am

It's been awhile since I was on here bc of computer issues, but I felt the need to complain about Agent Bauer's continuing over-grooming. I keep giving him new toys often and spending lots of out of cage time with him (the grooming gets way worse if I skip even one night of play time) but he has been pulling a huge amount of fur out of the side of his face and neck. At least he's not gone back to shredding his ears but it's still kind of heartbreaking to see.
I guess it could be worse but it's just really been bothering me that nothing I try seems to do much to stop this behavior. I've been able to get several complex, mouse safe bird toys on clearance and at least those seem to distract him for a bit longer.
DVirginiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Still having OCD issues

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:13 am

Aw, that's too bad Sad I know how hard it is to watch them struggle with OCD. I was a wreck when Gilly was trying to scratch her eye out. It was so disturbing to see her face covered in blood. I wish I could tell you how i got her to stop... but all I did was follow the same advice that we give everyone... and not give up on her. Hang in there, don't give up on him, and come visit us and complain as much as you need to.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:22 am

I'm sorry to hear about little Bauer! I'm with Scaredy. Don't give up! Stay determined! Hopefully you can help him to get better.

I should say, though, that with my OCD case, I found that no matter what I did, Mabel never really got better. So I sorta did give up on trying and just focused on stopping her from injuring herself. Her OCD slowly started to fade (though it shifted from her eye to her ear), and by the time she passed away, it was gone. If she had had another few weeks, I wonder if her eye would have completely healed like how it looked when I first got her. My point is that even if you feel like you can't help him, perhaps it'll fade over time. Just don't count on it.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:15 am

Vent away. It is horrible watching them hurt themselves over and over despite all your efforts to distract and heal them. Keep up the good work - even though at times it feels like you're getting no where. Hugs

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:45 am

Poor Agent Bauer. Sad It's so sad to watch them hurt themselves. I hope you'll find something that works for your guy soon.

For my girl who scratches her face, I've thrown out routine and try to be as random and unpredictable as I can. At her worst, her face is so torn up and swollen that she can't even open her eye, but right now she's only got a little spot by her nose. Yay.
Peachy

Scorpio Gloomy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone Smile It's not as worrisome as it was when he was shredding his ears but it's way more visible now. At least he seems happy.
DVirginiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum