Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Delilah had a stroke today

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Delilah had a stroke today

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:38 pm

It's been a rough day here. Delilah had a terrible stroke today. She can't walk and would not eat or drink for me. I'm confident she has visual disturbance as well. She was freaking out in the tank, squeaking and couldn't really move. I've had her in my shirt all day, she was very calm and got some sleep. I was hoping something would change if I waited. But nothing changed. I was very close to putting her to sleep a few times today... But it's always best if nature has a chance to take its course. So, since she wasn't panicked anymore, I put her back with her sisters and somehow she got into the nest and of course, Gilly is giving her some therapeutic snuggled. I'll be checking on her regularly. It's very likely she will have another stroke and pass in the night. But it's possible that she can recover enough to live a happy life with her sisters help. So, that was our day!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Delilah had a stroke today

Post by CallaLily on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Oh no. I'm so sorry. I hope she either recovers enough to live out the rest of her life comfortably or goes peacefully in the night snuggled by Gilly. Sad I know I've read of mice that recovered well from a stroke after some time. Fingers crossed.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Oh, that's so sad Sad I hope she either gets better or at least dies peacefully, surrounded by those who love her.

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:34 pm

Wow, that must have been scary for you and her. Wishing you both the best.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Awww, poor girl must have been scared. I'm glad she is calmer now. I hope she will be alright. Sorry you and Delilah had such a rough and stressful day. You are such a good Mommy and I'm sure Delilah felt very safe and secure in your shirt. Take care.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 am

Oh no, poor Delilah! That's so scary. Sad Is she okay now, Scaredy?

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:53 am

I found Delilah in the hammock this morning with Furgie! I do not know how she got to there, perilously I assume. She can't even hold herself up to drink water, yet she can scale the rock wall to get into the hammock Before I went to bed last night, I spent some time watching her. She would wait by the water bottle until another mouse came by and they would let her lean against them so she could drink water without falling over. I love watching them care for one another. We could all take lessons from them. Anyway, I put a wood toy right next to the water spout, so now little Deedee can lean against that to drink water. I made the tank handicap friendly last night, so she can get around pretty good.

At one point yesterday, I was so close to putting her to sleep. It was breaking my heart to see her like that. She seemed pretty calm when was holding her close but I couldn't hold her forever. I thought I was going to be returning her to her sisters to say goodbye but they all came together to help her. She must have improved more than i realized in the hours was holding her. At first all she could do was sort of slither backward. Now she was sorta walk sideways for a little while and then fall over. I felt bad... But I actually got a few laughs watching her try to drink water. Like as she get a sip, she would start falling over... She would stick her tongue out of her mouth so far trying to get one more lick from spout on the way down. It was a little cute. Apparently my girl is fighter.

Now we wait.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:04 am

It is soooooooo sweet how the female mice look out for one another. Makes me sad that males have to live alone and don't experience that bond with other mice.

Yes, that Delilah is a fighter.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:11 am

I'm glad to hear there's some improvement and her sisters are helping her out. I hope she continues to do better.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:42 am

The fact that she got up to the hammock is very encouraging! Delilah may recover quite well with the help of her numerous sisters -- our meecers are a lot tougher and more resilient than we think.

One of my early mice, Frascati, had a stroke that "only" paralyzed her hind quarters, blinded one eye and gave her a permanent head-tilt. Bombay was so kind to Frascati, always staying by her, snuggling, grooming and comforting her, often bringing her a nice pumpkin seed when she saw her struggling to get to the food dish. Frascati gradually gained use of one hind leg but Bombay never stopped her attentiveness. Unfortunately, Bombay passed on from tumors a few months after Frascati's stroke (their other sister, Merlot the alpha, had passed on a week or two earlier). Poor sweet Frascati, with no one to help her or comfort her, passed on two days after Bombay. Although it ended sadly, it was beautiful to watch Bombay help her stricken sister, never leaving her side.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:33 pm

I get the feelies so bad when stuff like this happens. I spent about 4 hours yesterday crying for Delilah, and her sisters, and pets passed, and the world, and myself. Sometimes the kindness they show each other and the trust they place in us makes me ashamed of being human. The way she clung to me yesterday, literally tooth and nail... And the desperation in her eyes...her vulnerability... It overwhelms me. I feel everything so very deeply. The good news is that feel *everything* very deeply. You should see how excited I get about candy! So at least i get the good stuff, too.

Anyway, I like the story about Frascatti, even the end, I suppose. I wish we could just pass on like that when we were ready.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 pm

You should feel lucky that you feel so strongly, Scaredy! Compassion fatigue hits me very easily.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm

So sorry to hear about Delilah Sad I hope she starts to recover, or at the very least passes peacefully. My heart goes out to you guys.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:59 am

Delilah is doing so much better... i can't even believe it. She was in such bad shape yesterday, I just can't believe how well she's doing. I am not exaggerating when i say that she could barely crawl yesterday and was so very terrified, it broke my heart. I have tiny scratches all over me from where she was clinging to me for dear life. Here's hoping that we can put this thing behind us and never look back!

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

That's great news!

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful