Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Delilah had a stroke today

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Delilah had a stroke today

Post by Snootietoots on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 am

I'm so glad she's recovering! I wish you all the best!! Heart

Snootietoots
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 pm

I'm so happy to hear she is doing better, that is great!
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 am

Compared to how impaired she was after her stroke, Delilah is doing really well.  But a couple days ago, she was really insistent on coming out.  I always make time for any of my little ones wants to spend time with me.  Delilah has never been a snuggler... she's more of a super friendly adventurer!  But the other day, she crawled down my shirt and curled up on my heart for quite a while.  The only other time she ever did that was after she had her stroke.  So, I think she had another small stroke and she looks so rough now.  She can walk, climb, run, eat, drink, etc.... but one of her little eyes is watery and a little droopy and she just looks so old...  it makes me so sad.  She's only a year old.  

Look at my poor Deedee Tearful

This is how she looked about a month ago... you can see how much healthier she looked.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:58 am

Aww, poor Delilah. Sometimes I wish there was more we could do for them, but don't feel bad, you are doing all that you can to keep her comfortable, you are a good owner.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:25 am

Aaw Delilah Sad she really does look quite different. Poor little thing Crying or Very sad I hope she feels better soon.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:52 am

Aww poor baby. Sad I hope she feels better soon.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:52 am

Poor Delilah. Good thoughts to her. Good vibes

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, and Ladybug
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:35 am

Poor girl. That is so sweet she came to you for comfort. You are a wonderful Mommy. Very Happy  I'm keeping good thoughts for Delilah.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:33 am

Maybe she should see a vet? They might be able to help.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm

There's nothing a vet can do for a stroke in a mouse. There isn't even much doctors can do for people with strokes unless they catch it right away, determine whether it is hemorhagic stroke or a clot, and then either do emergency surgery or use clot busting medication. A stroke is basically an injury to the brain where it is starved of oxygen... sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn't.

But once someone has one stroke, it's very likely that they will have another one unless they figure out what caused it and treat that condition (ex. high blood pressure or atrial fibrilation). She just really young... Sad

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:15 pm

Hey, so Scaredy, I know this is a bit of a probing question, so don't feel obligated to answer, but what are the ways to tell if your mouse is having or has had a stroke? I just want to know in case it happens to one of my boys, so I can be prepared.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm sure it varies but i heard squeaking, so i went to see what was going on. And she looked terrified and her head was tilted, almost ear to the ground. It was such a sudden onset combined with her extreme fear that ruled out ear infection. she couldn't walk, she just sort of slithered backward in circles. Every time i tried to set her down, she would claw at me for dear life. The only thing that made her feel safe was being in my shirt with my hand holding her down.

The actual symptoms of a stroke vary based on the area of the brain that's being affected. But some symptoms are confusion, sudden vision change, problems walking or balance issues, numbness or weakness on one side, drooping of one side of the face, severe headache (pain), possible paralysis of parts of the body, and difficulty swallowing/eating/speaking.

I'm sure she was confused, had obvious visual disturbance, most likely a headache, weakness on one side, and fear. It must have been so terrifying for her Sad I am so glad that i was there. It must have just happened. I held her for about 3 hours, she wouldn't or couldn't eat/drink/walk. But she slowly started either getting better or getting used to it. When i put her back in the tank, her sisters groomed her, brought her food and held her up to drink water. i eventually put a little wooden toy near the bottle that she could prop herself up with.

It was a rough day.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Delilah is too young, some mice have such rotten luck Sad I don't know if it was a stroke or a heart attack, but my little Peanut was only six months old when she died Sad I heard squeaking and found her lying on her side motionless. I picked her up and her body was completely floppy and limp, she didn't move at all, and one of her eyes looked strange and droopy. She died within about 10 minutes Sad

That's so sweet though that the other mice helped her. They really are the sweetest little creatures aren't they?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:52 pm

sometimes their tenderness toward each other overwhelms me

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top