Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Welcoming a new mouse who I had to catch...

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcoming a new mouse who I had to catch...

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

Geez, Abeona, what a horrible lady. The best thing I can hope is that an owl or eagle will get an easy meal before the domestic mice can disrupt any wild populations.

Definitely change that crittertrails as soon as you can. The plastic tubes are unsafe and immensely difficult to clean. They're just all around bad enclosures. 10gal aquariums are often available for cheap on Craigslist.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:02 pm

I've already had some 'interesting' responses when I've told people about my new boy. 'oh my god, I would have killed it', 'wow, you are so brave, weren't you scared!?'... 'ewwwww!!!'.... Sad

I LOVE him and am so glad that he came to my house- there are so many cats around, let alone people who just destroy small animals - he must have known Wink

He seems to be doing well. I've removed the cotton and will change the food soon. I might have an opportunity to pick up a free 40 gallon tank for him soon - whill that be better than what I have? Is 40 gallons way too big?
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lupus_corde on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:06 pm

40 gallon tank is great! What a lucky mouse! Just be sure to get or make a mesh lid to go on top Smile

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm

@ph08fhf wrote:I've already had some 'interesting' responses when I've told people about my new boy. 'oh my god, I would have killed it', 'wow, you are so brave, weren't you scared!?'... 'ewwwww!!!'.... Sad

I LOVE him and am so glad that he came to my house- there are so many cats around, let alone people who just destroy small animals - he must have known Wink

He seems to be doing well. I've removed the cotton and will change the food soon. I might have an opportunity to pick up a free 40 gallon tank for him soon - whill that be better than what I have? Is 40 gallons way too big?

With a 40 gallon tank he'd be living in the lap of luxury! I know big tanks are bad for small groups of girls because they give them enough space to start claiming their own territory, but with a boy living alone I think you can go as large as you want.

Sadly, those responses aren't that surprising. Most people think of all mice as disease-carrying pests and unsuitable animals to keep as pets, which, while true about wild mice, could not be more wrong when talking about domesticated mice. It really is a shame. Mice are probably my favorite animal I've ever had as a pet; they really are just wonderful creatures. More people should learn to appreciate them.

Anyways, he certainly is quite the cutie; I love PEWs! Have you thought about naming him?

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:30 pm

A 40 gallon tank would be great for a boy. However, be careful. With untamed mice, oftentimes living in a large space can either cause aggressive or nervous behavior. So you might get behavioral problems. But if you can get a 40gal tank easily, then go for it. Something smaller is preferable while he's still being tamed, but you can always try the 40gal if it's available. You might get lucky and have no issues at all!

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:27 am

I've only just seen this thread. I can't believe you found this little guy just roaming around Shocked

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Update:

Our little adventurer has now become known as "Collin" (not sure whether any of you play the board game 'mice and mystics' but he's names for one of the characters in that Razz). I've also secured the 40 gallon tank for him and will be able to pick that up Labour day weekend. When it arrives, I plan to put his current crittertrail cage inside the tank for the first few days to give him some more security and places to hide.

I've been regularly putting my hand in the cage and letting him climb on it and sniff around. I don't think we are up to 'picking up' stage yet - he seems quite fearful and I don't want to push given that I've no idea about his past life or experiences.

He is eating well and LOVES toilet paper. I see him popcorning fairly often which gives me confidence that I'm not doing anything horribly wrong. Smile

A question: I recently adopted some rats. I know rats are technically predators of mice, and was wondering whether their scent will be stressing him? I have the two enclosures near-ish to one another and can move him if you think the smell of rat will be frightening to him.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'm so excited to be on this new journey with my lovely companion, Collin Smile
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:49 pm

The smell of rats is known to be stressful for mice, yes. I would suggest moving him is the best option.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job taking care of Collin! Love the name Very Happy  Can't wait to see photos of his new house when it arrives! Collin was meant to be yours, it was fate that you and he were brought together.
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Wow, I'm late to the show but I'm so glad you saved him!! He's so adorable. It's so sad how people think releasing pets is okay. Sounds like you've been doing everything right!
I would recommend just moving the rats and mice as far away as they can be in the room if you can't keep them in separate rooms altogether.

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:30 am

Lots of people keep both mice and rats with no issues. Perhaps the mice get desensitized to the smell and learn that it's nothing to worry about?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:18 am

I'm glad you took the little mouse in Smile I hope the taming goes well too!

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Sad
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 am

I would think that as long as Collin doesn't seem to be afraid, in that he is going about with enjoying his new life and playing with his toys and not acting nervous, then I don't see any problem having your ratties in the same room. Just be sure to wash your hands in between handling Colin and handling your ratties. Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Colin ate peanut butter from my finger today and even climbed up onto my hand for a moment! Bouncy Bouncy

I've moved him into the next room to be sure that the ratties don't bother him. He seems to be doing well. I have seen him pushing his bedding (carefresh) up to the side of the cage and posting it through the bars. Literally posting it through - it looks like he is purposely pushing it piece by piece through the bars, not just pushing it around and happening to make some fall out. Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone? Is it indicative of frustration or too much bedding or just a normal mousey behaviour?
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:50 pm

@ph08fhf wrote:Colin ate peanut butter from my finger today and even climbed up onto my hand for a moment! Bouncy Bouncy

I've moved him into the next room to be sure that the ratties don't bother him. He seems to be doing well. I have seen him pushing his bedding (carefresh) up to the side of the cage and posting it through the bars. Literally posting it through - it looks like he is purposely pushing it piece by piece through the bars, not just pushing it around and happening to make some fall out. Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone? Is it indicative of frustration or too much bedding or just a normal mousey behaviour?
Sounds like normal mouse silliness to me. My guess is he thinks it's neat that he can throw things out between the bars. My girls do all sorts of, weird, eccentric things with their bedding.

AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top