Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Welcoming a new mouse who I had to catch...

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcoming a new mouse who I had to catch...

Post by Peachy on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 pm

I think my boy likes to throw his poo out of the bars. Scraping it off the walls is the highlight of my week. Laughing
I've never seen them push bedding, but I'm sure they do because they get it all over the floor. When they're tired of Cheerios, they throw those out of the bars too. lol
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:57 am

abeona wrote:I think my boy likes to throw his poo out of the bars. Scraping it off the walls is the highlight of my week. Laughing
I've never seen them push bedding, but I'm sure they do because they get it all over the floor. When they're tired of Cheerios, they throw those out of the bars too. lol

This is an easy fix: Put some cardboard or decorative paperboard around his cage on three sides, allowing a couple of inches for visiblility. If I leave my wire cages too long without shields, the bucks eventually end up hitting the room wall with some spots of urine! I've never seen them in the act of spraying like that, but I have to admit it's impressive.
---------------

ph08fhf, congratulations on taking in this poor, helpless mouse! I hate to think what happens to the ones not rescued. Here in downtown L.A, there is massive gentrification with thousands of people flooding into ritzy new high-rises... but the wild rat population is out-of-control insane! A lost or 'freed' mouse wouldn't stand a chance.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm

I've had mice post bedding through the bars. Some of mine used to do their own spot cleaning and find all the dirty bits and throw them out lol. Mice are fussy. He's just making himself at home Wink

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Great news! He does seem to take great pleasure in it - but I thought I should check to be sure Smile

During play time today he sat right on my hand and let me lift him up a bit. Peanut butter helps ALOT! He is also using his hideout all the time now - he's even made a little fortress out of toilet paper. What an amazing little creature!

Thanks again for all the advice - can't wait to get him into his new home after labour day. He also has an appointment with our vet on the 18th just to check that all is well with him. I'll keep you updated!
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Great news!!!
Just want to warn you—peanut butter is generally not advised because they can become allergic to it rather suddenly. Also, a lot of peanut butter types have salt and/or sugar in them, which obviously aren't good for mice. Just a word of warning! Perhaps something like pure almond butter or something would be better. Wait, I think there might be something wrong with feeding almonds, too... Hm, I'd better check on that.

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Oh, shoot! Someone did mention not to feed peanuts earlier and I completely forgot! That you for the reminder!! Smile
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 am

That sounds like great progress though Smile And I agree, mice are amazing little creatures Very Happy so clever and entertaining, not to mention adorable.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:05 am

It's better to not take mice to a vet unless they are actually showing symptoms of an illness. With mice, a vet will not be able to notice anything that you haven't noticed at home, and they live such short lived that wellness checks are more stress than they're worth. Only make vet appointments if he actually seems sick. Otherwise, keep him home.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 am

Artistwolf wrote:Great news!!!
Just want to warn you—peanut butter is generally not advised because they can become allergic to it rather suddenly. Also, a lot of peanut butter types have salt and/or sugar in them, which obviously aren't good for mice. Just a word of warning! Perhaps something like pure almond butter or something would be better. Wait, I think there might be something wrong with feeding almonds, too... Hm, I'd better check on that.

You're right, ArtistWolf: almonds are not recommended for most animals due to the traces of cyanide in that type of nut.

ph08fhf, mice are able to digest walnuts with no ill effects so giving Collin a piece of walnut now and then as a treat (they are very fatty) would really delight him!

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by River on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:17 am

Since he was a "wild" mouse for so long I actually think this vet trip might be a good idea. Especially if their new owner is still new to mice,

Remembering Maier
River

Pisces Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 am

River wrote:Since he was a "wild" mouse for so long I actually think this vet trip might be a good idea. Especially if their new owner is still new to mice,
I agree. Chances are he has mites, and the vet can help get some some Ivermectin and instruct on proper dosing.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:22 am

You don't need a vet to prescribe ivermectin though. Getting the dosing information online would save some money. But I suppose if you wanted to test for internal parasites or anything, it could be a good idea.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 pm

MesaMouse wrote:You're right, ArtistWolf: almonds are not recommended for most animals due to the traces of cyanide in that type of nut.
Thanks! Man, it's so hard to remember all this stuff Razz

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ph08fhf on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

Collin is SO HAPPY.

Not a great quality pic because I took it last night under artificial light (after we got back with the tank). He spent a long time scenting and is out and about running and burrowing so much more than before. He even climbs up my arm if I put my hand in to say hello. He sat on my shoulder for a while last night Smile

A big tank was the best advice ever! Thanks so much all! (I need to make more toys for him so he can climb)

(seriously, what was my life like before this little mischief burrowed his way into it!?)
ph08fhf
Jr Member
Jr Member

Taurus Cloud 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:48 pm

That looks lovely and spacious for him Very Happy he must be a very happy boy!

I still can't get over the fact that he wandered into your home. All the horrible things that could have happened to him out in the big wide world, and he managed to find himself such a lovely home Very Happy lucky boy indeed!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top