Is ten gallons really too small for four female mice?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is ten gallons really too small for four female mice?

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:56 pm

I started Mickey out in a ten gallon tank, then moved him to his current twenty gallon long tank. Mickey has always been pretty outgoing, has never tried to hide. In fact anytime I interact with him and take the lid off the tank, he always comes right over to me, comes to the highest point in the tank to see me. Very Happy  But I totally get the reasoning for keeping a colony of 3 females in a ten gallon tank. It's actually very interesting, and I love all the things I learn on this forum!
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comeandsee on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Thank you all for the replies! I never really thought about tank toppers being more of a pain than they're worth. I'll hold out for a fifteen or twenty gallon, and save the ten gallon for my fishies! The box shelf sounds great, and I'll make sure to watch out for any crazy territorial behaviour Razz

Rodents Rock! Mickey must love his twenty gallon!

comeandsee

Curious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:55 am

I think once you have mice, you start to get really enthusiastic about creating different layouts and making/buying new toys for them. So I think you will appreciate the extra space because it means you have more room to put toys and play around with different set ups.

I want to get a bigger cage soon, because I get really excited about making their cage as fun as possible, and want room to put more toys. Obviously the mice will have fun with more room, but I think I'll probably appreciate it more than they will Razz

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:55 am

abeona wrote:
This one takes a little work, but it's kinda fun. It let's you compare your mouse cage/size to human floor space standards, from prison to Martha Stewart. Laughing
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/cagesize.htm

It's neat to check out other calculators. I stumbled across this one before and had to giggle over the Martha Stewart standards.

Here's a different one that I came across.
http://www.cagecalc.de/start.py?conf=mice&lang=eng
This one says that my 40 gallon breeder is not suitable for any mice because it's not deep enough or tall enough.  (36x18x16 inches)

This is what it tells me is the minimum for 3 mice:
Width: 33.4 in
Depth: 20.9 in
Height: 20.9 in
Additional shelves: 1
(if I'm understanding correctly, the required extra shelf is to be the same length x width as the floor space)

Edit to add: I do not agree with this calculator.  I just found it interesting how different the minimums can be depending on the calculator you go with.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:56 am

Wow!! .de is Germany, right? MouseLover was just saying in another thread that they have pretty high standards. Very interesting! I found one (old) calculator that said a 10 gallon is good for up to 5.555... mice. What a crazy difference.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 pm

I would honestly never keep more than three mice in a ten gallon. Standards vary, but some standards just seem wrong to me.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:16 pm

I think we're just comparing standards (or at least I am), nor arguing that 3 to a 10 gallon is wrong... Everyone has already said they follow TFM's calculator, which is pretty normal against a lot of recommendations that I've seen from other sites. Smile
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Oh, I know, Abeona! I just wanted to share my opinion on the other standards. I just don't like them.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh, good! Just making sure we're on the same page. Razz
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Yes, I believe that calculator is German. And that's the MINIMUM! They really do keep to an extremely high standard for their pets. I've looked through a lot of hamster enclosure pics from German sites. They're amazing setups. But for mice I think that's a bit much - especially when dealing with untamed, poorly bred mice.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:09 pm

comeandsee wrote:Thank you all for the replies! I never really thought about tank toppers being more of a pain than they're worth. I'll hold out for a fifteen or twenty gallon, and save the ten gallon for my fishies! The box shelf sounds great, and I'll make sure to watch out for any crazy territorial behaviour Razz

Rodents Rock! Mickey must love his twenty gallon!
Yes, he does seem to enjoy it! Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:15 pm

MouseLover wrote:I think once you have mice, you start to get really enthusiastic about creating different layouts and making/buying new toys for them. So I think you will appreciate the extra space because it means you have more room to put toys and play around with different set ups.

I want to get a bigger cage soon, because I get really excited about making their cage as fun as possible, and want room to put more toys. Obviously the mice will have fun with more room, but I think I'll probably appreciate it more than they will Razz
MouseLover, I'm the same way, I really enjoy making Mickey's tank as fun and interesting as possible for him. Now I think what cool stuff I could do for him in a 40 gallon tank! But, I will control myself and keep him in his 20 gallon tank because I could see myself doing the 40 gallon tank and then thinking, oh wouldn't a 100 gallon tank be fun!!! LOL Very Happy
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:38 pm

I've kept four female mice in a 10g before... it didn't end up too well. It would be okay to keep them in there temporarily, but not forever. I had a dominant mouse kill one of my smaller females. The minimum is a trio for a 10g tank. If you have a tank topper though, it can really help give some extra space. Some mice won't go up there much though, so it's better to get a 15 or 20g aquarium.
Colors

Cancer Musical

View user profile https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm

I always start my mice in a 10g and then move them up.

Right now my lone survivor is in a 30 gallon bin and she loves it. I had a boy mouse before and he freaked out in a 30 g bin by himself, it was too much space for him.

I think it can depend on the mice. Some mice love more space and some can't deal with it.

5 mice to a 10g seems too crowded to me no matter how you slice it. I prefer no more than 3 mice to a wheel anyways and ideally a wheel for ever 2 mice, if you got runners. So 5 mice in my mind is too many for one wheel.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top