Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by olimarthemouse on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:02 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
abeona wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Bedding for gerbils must cost a fortune! They really like burrowing don't they?
I usually used two bags of aspen for about 8 inches of bedding, but you only have to change them every three to four weeks!

Yes, you don't have to change out gerbil tanks every week like you do for mice. So you get a longer life out of the bedding. Very Happy
I see, that must be nice! Sorry for getting off topic of the original post lol, but I'm curious to know, are gerbils really friendly? I know almost nothing about gerbils as pets lol.

I had two, but one of them passed. The one who passed let me hold her and pick her up, but my other one doesn't really like to be held. But they are very happy, peppy animals:)
avatar
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 128
Likes : 18

Sweet Tooth

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:04 pm

Aww, they sound adorable, wish they were allowed here Sad.

_________________




Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
avatar
AnonymousMouseOwner
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-13
Posts : 1762
Likes : 480

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:14 pm

@olimarthemouse wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
abeona wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Bedding for gerbils must cost a fortune! They really like burrowing don't they?
I usually used two bags of aspen for about 8 inches of bedding, but you only have to change them every three to four weeks!

Yes, you don't have to change out gerbil tanks every week like you do for mice. So you get a longer life out of the bedding. Very Happy
I see, that must be nice! Sorry for getting off topic of the original post lol, but I'm curious to know, are gerbils really friendly? I know almost nothing about gerbils as pets lol.

I had two, but one of them passed. The one who passed let me hold her and pick her up, but my other one doesn't really like to be held. But they are very happy, peppy animals:)

I've had gerbils on and off for most of my adult life (I was never allowed to have any type of rodents when I was a kid) and have always enjoyed them. Actually Pip was just sitting on my shoulder a bit ago. He is always eager to come out and is such a sweet boy. Pup will take food from me but doesn't like to be picked up. I love my boys! Love
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 591

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm

@Rodents rock! wrote:
@olimarthemouse wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
abeona wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Bedding for gerbils must cost a fortune! They really like burrowing don't they?
I usually used two bags of aspen for about 8 inches of bedding, but you only have to change them every three to four weeks!

Yes, you don't have to change out gerbil tanks every week like you do for mice. So you get a longer life out of the bedding. Very Happy
I see, that must be nice! Sorry for getting off topic of the original post lol, but I'm curious to know, are gerbils really friendly? I know almost nothing about gerbils as pets lol.

I had two, but one of them passed. The one who passed let me hold her and pick her up, but my other one doesn't really like to be held. But they are very happy, peppy animals:)

I've had gerbils on and off for most of my adult life (I was never allowed to have any type of rodents when I was a kid) and have always enjoyed them. Actually Pip was just sitting on my shoulder a bit ago. He is always eager to come out and is such a sweet boy. Pup will take food from me but doesn't like to be picked up. I love my boys! Love
Aww!! Love  Why do they have to be illegal Crying or Very sad

_________________




Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
avatar
AnonymousMouseOwner
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-13
Posts : 1762
Likes : 480

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:30 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
@olimarthemouse wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
abeona wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Bedding for gerbils must cost a fortune! They really like burrowing don't they?
I usually used two bags of aspen for about 8 inches of bedding, but you only have to change them every three to four weeks!

Yes, you don't have to change out gerbil tanks every week like you do for mice. So you get a longer life out of the bedding. Very Happy
I see, that must be nice! Sorry for getting off topic of the original post lol, but I'm curious to know, are gerbils really friendly? I know almost nothing about gerbils as pets lol.

I had two, but one of them passed. The one who passed let me hold her and pick her up, but my other one doesn't really like to be held. But they are very happy, peppy animals:)

I've had gerbils on and off for most of my adult life (I was never allowed to have any type of rodents when I was a kid) and have always enjoyed them. Actually Pip was just sitting on my shoulder a bit ago. He is always eager to come out and is such a sweet boy. Pup will take food from me but doesn't like to be picked up. I love my boys! Love
Aww!! Love  Why do they have to be illegal Crying or Very sad
Where are you located, California?
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 591

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:33 pm

Yep, California, where everything's illegal. (Well, maybe I exaggerated a little there).

_________________




Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
avatar
AnonymousMouseOwner
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-13
Posts : 1762
Likes : 480

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:56 pm

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Yep, California, where everything's illegal. (Well, maybe I exaggerated a little there).
Hedgehogs used to be illegal in Arizona, but they are legal now. So maybe someday the rules on gerbils will change in CA. Are ferrets allowed in CA?
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 591

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:14 pm

@Rodents rock! wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Yep, California, where everything's illegal. (Well, maybe I exaggerated a little there).
Hedgehogs used to be illegal in Arizona, but they are legal now. So maybe someday the rules on gerbils will change in CA. Are ferrets allowed in CA?
No, ferrets are illegal as well. Though there have been many petitions trying to legalize ferrets, none have been successful. Lots of people have them anyway, I have no idea where they get them though. There are ferret items in every pet store lol, people don't really care, if they are caught though, the ferret would be confiscated,
Here are a few things you can't legally own here:
Hedgehogs
Wolf dog hybrids (First Generation)
Ferrets
Gerbils
Monk parakeets
Piranhas
African Clawed Frogs
Skunks
Gators
Raccoons
Spiny mice
Zebra mice
Sugar gliders

And so many more...

_________________




Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, and Daisy
avatar
AnonymousMouseOwner
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-13
Posts : 1762
Likes : 480

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 12:08 am

@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
@Rodents rock! wrote:
@AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Yep, California, where everything's illegal. (Well, maybe I exaggerated a little there).
Hedgehogs used to be illegal in Arizona, but they are legal now. So maybe someday the rules on gerbils will change in CA. Are ferrets allowed in CA?
No, ferrets are illegal as well. Though there have been many petitions trying to legalize ferrets, none have been successful. Lots of people have them anyway, I have no idea where they get them though. There are ferret items in every pet store lol, people don't really care, if they are caught though, the ferret would be confiscated,
Here are a few things you can't legally own here:
Hedgehogs
Wolf dog hybrids (First Generation)
Ferrets
Gerbils
Monk parakeets
Piranhas
African Clawed Frogs
Skunks
Gators
Raccoons
Spiny mice
Zebra mice
Sugar gliders

And so many more...
Wow, that is a lot! If I lived there I wouldn't get any of the pets that are illegal because if it got confiscated I would be totally heartbroken.

Sugar gliders are legal here. I see a lot of them for sale on Craigslist, so seems lots of people get them and then don't want them anymore, very sad.

Before hedgehogs were legal here, I know PETsMART sold books on how to care for them.

I hope some day you can have gerbils Very Happy
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 591

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by MouseLover on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:08 am

I think the trouble with sugargliders is that they're a bit more complicated to care for than your average small animal. They have quite a complicated diet, and some quite unique behaviors. I think that a lot of people would fall in love with them at pet stores and buy one without doing any research, and then find themselves with an animal that they can't cope with. I hear they can be really friendly if handled from a very young age, but that most pet shop gliders aren't, and can be quite frightened and bitey. I love them so I've done some research on them lol.

_________________
Current Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger.
avatar
MouseLover
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-12
Posts : 1362
Likes : 217

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by MouseLover on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:11 am

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're not planning on getting another gerbil? If she's not playing very much, perhaps she is lonely? Or can gerbils not be introduced easily?

_________________
Current Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger.
avatar
MouseLover
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-04-12
Posts : 1362
Likes : 217

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by olimarthemouse on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:38 am

@MouseLover wrote:Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're not planning on getting another gerbil? If she's not playing very much, perhaps she is lonely? Or can gerbils not be introduced easily?

There are a couple. 1. I had problems for about the first 6-9 months of them fighting. Like, drawing blood. They eventually bonded, after much headache and hassle. Once bonded they never fought again. I think Oreo gained the territory and it was decided she was the head gerbil Laughing 2. She is about 2 and 1/2 years old. Getting another one now would mean that Oreo would probably pass long before the new one, and then that would leave the new one alone, and me in a pickle. 3. She doesn't really seem lonely. I honestly think it's because she doesn't have much to do in her big cage.
avatar
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 128
Likes : 18

Sweet Tooth

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by EverythingAnimal on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:51 am

@MouseLover wrote:I think the trouble with sugargliders is that they're a bit more complicated to care for than your average small animal. They have quite a complicated diet, and some quite unique behaviors. I think that a lot of people would fall in love with them at pet stores and buy one without doing any research, and then find themselves with an animal that they can't cope with. I hear they can be really friendly if handled from a very young age, but that most pet shop gliders aren't, and can be quite frightened and bitey. I love them so I've done some research on them lol.

A few years ago I saw a man running through The Home Depot with a sugar glider on his shoulder! It looked like it was having the time of its life! (the sugar glider, not the man Laughing ) My LPS gets rescure sugar gliders all the time, same with hedgehogs. As you said, they are usually given up by people who can't care for them, or that were given them as gifts Sad

_________________
The Loner: Terri
Rainbow Bridge:Merci, Astra, Ellie, Suzie (Suzers), Millie, and Cece.
avatar
EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Join date : 2016-04-02
Posts : 292
Likes : 54

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Everess on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 10:55 am

I didn't know Sugergliders can be pets! I'm in CA and I am totally oblivious, I know Ferrets are illegal here, but I had no idea Gerbils were illegal as well!

Everess
New Member
New Member

Join date : 2016-08-28
Posts : 17
Likes : 3

Gemini Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Rodents rock! on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 11:04 am

@olimarthemouse wrote:
@MouseLover wrote:Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're not planning on getting another gerbil? If she's not playing very much, perhaps she is lonely? Or can gerbils not be introduced easily?

There are a couple. 1. I had problems for about the first 6-9 months of  them fighting. Like, drawing blood. They eventually bonded, after much headache and hassle. Once bonded they never fought again. I think Oreo gained the territory and it was decided she was the head gerbil Laughing 2. She is about 2 and 1/2 years old. Getting another one now would mean that Oreo would probably pass long before the new one, and then that would leave the new one alone, and me in a pickle. 3. She doesn't really seem lonely. I honestly think it's because she doesn't have much to do in her big cage.
Actually it's easier to introduce male to male gerbils the it is to introduce female to female gerbils - sounds crazy, I know. And it's easier to introduce a baby to a male gerbil then to a female gerbil. Very interesting gerbil world. Very Happy
avatar
Rodents rock!
Hero Member
Hero Member

Join date : 2016-06-27
Posts : 1818
Likes : 591

Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting my gerbil a NEW cage:)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum